The Sword and Laser discussion

Jade City (The Green Bone Saga, #1)
This topic is about Jade City
Podcasts > S&L Podcast - #331 - Where Have All the Good Guys Gone?

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Veronica, Supreme Sword (new) - rated it 4 stars

Veronica Belmont (veronicabelmont) | 1728 comments Mod
SFF readers have more mature relationship views. It's science. And hey! We're still Hugo-nominated! Will we stay that way or become winners? Who can say? But we have other things to say, like what we think of Jade City by Fonda Lee.

http://swordandlaser.com/home/2018/8/...
https://www.patreon.com/posts/20810114
https://soundcloud.com/swordandlaser/...

Stephen Richter (stephenofskytrain) | 1390 comments If you lose on Sunday, be sure to go to the George RR Martin's Loser Party. You can go if you win, but they may make you wear a Conehead. Or at least they use to. I listed you number one in the category but I have bad luck with my choices.

Colin Forbes (colinforbes) | 523 comments Good luck at the Hugos. Book some interviews while you are there!

message 4: by Rob, Roberator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rob (robzak) | 6925 comments Mod
I'm really bummed I won't be there. I was awfully tempted, but I had no one to go with and I was at a difference con last week, plus it's across the country for me.

Rumor is World Con could end up in DC in 2021, so I hope you guys might come to that if they do/you get nominated again.

I still haven't met Tom yet!

Best of luck with the Hugo.

Dara (cmdrdara) | 2702 comments Apologies for monopolizing the Quick Burns this week!

Best of luck at the Hugos!

message 6: by Veronica, Supreme Sword (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dara did you notice how we each said your name differently each time?? 😆

Dara (cmdrdara) | 2702 comments I did! :-D It made me laugh!

terpkristin | 4221 comments Loved the show, especially getting 5 minutes in or whatever and V not realizing they hadn't done "What are we drinking" yet. :) :) :)

Trike | 8949 comments terpkristin wrote: "Loved the show, especially getting 5 minutes in or whatever and V not realizing they hadn't done "What are we drinking" yet. :) :) :)"

That’s how you know you’re drinking the good stuff.

terpkristin | 4221 comments Trike wrote: "That’s how you know you’re drinking the good stuff."

Since V said she was drinking water, it more makes me wonder about water in SF. ;)

message 11: by Phil (new) - rated it 3 stars

Phil | 1185 comments I've been wondering the same thing Tom mentions; what, if any, are the racial/national analogues between the book and our world?

message 12: by Ruth (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ruth | 1250 comments Phil wrote: "I've been wondering the same thing Tom mentions; what, if any, are the racial/national analogues between the book and our world?"

Kekon reminds me of Japan, but Janloon of Hong Kong. I think the book deliberately borrows elements of culture and history from different places, rather than being an analogue for a single real-world nation.

message 13: by Veronica, Supreme Sword (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ruth wrote: "Phil wrote: "I've been wondering the same thing Tom mentions; what, if any, are the racial/national analogues between the book and our world?"

Kekon reminds me of Japan, but Janloon of Hong Kong. ..."

This is also how I've been thinking of it.