The Official History Chicks Podcast Book Club discussion

Catherine the Great: Portrait of a Woman
This topic is about Catherine the Great
August Book Choice > Empress of Russia

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Amber (mommytucker) | 157 comments Mod
In Catherine the Great by Robert K. Massie, there is an entire chapter about Catherine's "favorites." What are your opinions on why she had so many?

From this book, I have gathered that Catherine seemed to be a fair ruler and thought about what was best for her people often. Do you think that Catherine earned the title Catherine the Great? If so, how come?

Mary | 22 comments I think her accomplishments for Russia were amazing. She helped advance the country in ways that Peter never could have. Elizabeth made a wise choice when she chose Catherine for Peter, and the entire country benefitted greatly.

Amber (mommytucker) | 157 comments Mod
Mary wrote: "I think her accomplishments for Russia were amazing. She helped advance the country in ways that Peter never could have. Elizabeth made a wise choice when she chose Catherine for Peter, and the ent..."

I would have to agree with you Mary. I think she modeled a lot of her power to Peter the Great's leadership and did an excellent job as Empress of Russia. I think she held onto the title so long from her son because she noticed Paul following in the footsteps of his father and wanted better for Russia.

Maryann Hopping | 6 comments I was very impressed by all that Catherine accomplished during her reign. She certainly had some bumps & veered away from some of her initial ideals but overall was a remarkable ruler.

I thought the favorites piece was fascinating because it is exactly what most male rulers do. I think she has so many simply because it was a tough job. They had to completely be available and serve her almost 24/7. Attend every function and be at her arm constantly. To always be “on” - in the spotlight. I completely understand why she needed a companion to share that burden. But it’s a tough job & they had an exit door she didn’t. And she wasn’t in a position to really seek it out exactly what she needed and thus got some fellas that just weren’t up for the job.