Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Nevernight (The Nevernight Chronicle, #1)
This topic is about Nevernight
Previous BOMs - Authors; I - L > Nevernight, by Jay Kristoff (September Young Adult Sci-Fi/Fantasy BOM) starts September 16, 2018

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new) - added it

Moderators of NBRC | 31614 comments Mod

Synopsis
In a land where three suns almost never set, a fledgling killer joins a school of assassins, seeking vengeance against the powers who destroyed her family.

Daughter of an executed traitor, Mia Corvere is barely able to escape her father’s failed rebellion with her life. Alone and friendless, she hides in a city built from the bones of a dead god, hunted by the Senate and her father’s former comrades. But her gift for speaking with the shadows leads her to the door of a retired killer, and a future she never imagined.

Now, Mia is apprenticed to the deadliest flock of assassins in the entire Republic—the Red Church. If she bests her fellow students in contests of steel, poison and the subtle arts, she’ll be inducted among the Blades of the Lady of Blessed Murder, and one step closer to the vengeance she desires. But a killer is loose within the Church’s halls, the bloody secrets of Mia’s past return to haunt her, and a plot to bring down the entire congregation is unfolding in the shadows she so loves.

Will she even survive to initiation, let alone have her revenge?

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new) - added it

What is a BOM (Book of the Month)?

At NRBC we use a more structured approach to our BOMs. We have a discussion leader and a reading date is set to start the book. A reading schedule is posted prior to the start date and discussion questions are posted each day regarding that section of the book.

More info under spoiler
(view spoiler)

message 3: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Sep 25, 2018 09:11PM) (new) - added it

Chapter Breakdown

Date Chapters End % MPQDs

16&17 Sept 1-9 26% Tina
18&19 Sept 10-20 51% Sunny

BREAK

21-25 Sept 21-end 100%

message 4: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new) - added it

Ruby Coin Book of the Month ~ Ruby Coin Ruby Coin

How to Earn:
Ruby Coin 1 Ruby Coin for half DQ participation
Ruby Coin 1 Ruby Coin for Writing Disscussion Questions
Ruby Coin 1 Ruby Coin for completing ALL days DQs within month of BOM start
Example of ways to Earn Ruby Coins: (view spoiler)

Learn about Gem coins here

message 5: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 3 stars

Karen ⊰✿ | 14778 comments Mod
I'm excited about this one as I've only heard good things :o

Imke (immie75) | 1642 comments OK I have to mention this, Nevernight is not YA. Follow link for comments made by the author.
Jay Kristoff's opinion

I have read this book and while the main character is of YA age the contents of this book are very graphic and in my opinion not suitable for a younger audience.

Imke (immie75) | 1642 comments Oh and don't get me wrong it is a great book I loved it and definitely recommend it, but not for under 18.

message 8: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 3 stars

Thanks Imke - gtk for our younger readers.

Unfortunately goodreads genres aren’t always the most accurate! It will be interesting to see everyone’s thoughts as we go

Sunny (sunnyisreading) | 340 comments I'm so excited for this book! I would also volunteer to write questions :)

message 10: by Tina ❣ (last edited Sep 02, 2018 05:43AM) (new) - added it

Tina ❣ (nutrinut) | 1908 comments I've got a copy of the book so I'm in. I can write DQ for Day 1 or 2 only

message 11: by Itsmeehqueen (new)

Itsmeehqueen (birthright) | 24 comments After reading the Poppy War, I think I will read this book.

message 12: by Tina ❣ (new) - added it

Tina ❣ (nutrinut) | 1908 comments Sorry guys! I'll try and get the DQ up as soon as possible! I haven't had much time to read this weekend

message 13: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 3 stars

No worries 😉 I’m only at chapter 5 myself. Enjoying it but did find it a bit confusing to start with!

message 14: by Tina ❣ (last edited Sep 17, 2018 12:20AM) (new) - added it

Tina ❣ (nutrinut) | 1908 comments Day 1 DQ, Chapters 1-9

1. This is my first Jay Kristoff book that I've read. How you read any of his other books and did you like them? Any other thoughts on him as a writer?

2. I was reading through some reviews by the community and quite a few have struggled with Kristoff's writing style in this book. What are your thoughts on it? Does it bother or bore you?

3. What are your initial thoughts on Mia and her abilities, the horses, Tric and Naev?

4. This book has footnotes in it at the end of the book. Have you been referring to them whilst reading or ignoring them (like me)? Are they useful and needed? Do you think it's a good idea or is it distracting and a waste?

message 15: by Tina ❣ (new) - added it

Tina ❣ (nutrinut) | 1908 comments Karen ⊰✿ wrote: "No worries 😉 I’m only at chapter 5 myself. Enjoying it but did find it a bit confusing to start with!"

I was confused at the start as well but am liking it more now

message 16: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 3 stars

Day 1 DQ, Chapters 1-9

1. This is my first Jay Kristoff book that I've read. How you read any of his other books and did you like them? Any other thoughts on him as a writer?
I've only read Illuminae and the sequel which he co-wrote and I really enjoyed them. Plus I like to seek out Australian writers and I'd heard good things about this series

2. I was reading through some reviews by the community and quite a few have struggled with Kristoff's writing style in this book. What are your thoughts on it? Does it bother or bore you?
I really like it. I started listening to the audio while driving with my husband on Saturday and we both found it really quite funny in places too

3. What are your initial thoughts on Mia and her abilities, the horses, Tric and Naev?
I am really enjoying the world and I'm looking forward to learning more.

4. This book has footnotes in it at the end of the book. Have you been referring to them whilst reading or ignoring them (like me)? Are they useful and needed? Do you think it's a good idea or is it distracting and a waste?
I had no idea about this as I have been listening to the audio, so when I read your question I went and downloaded the ebook from the library~! It seems the audio he is reading out the footnotes as we go (I think they are all the very funny bits!) so it seems to work well as part of the book proper. I'd recommend listening to the audio or reading them as you go ;)

message 17: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 3 stars

Tina - May be just you and I reading this?

I'm only at chapter 13. Doing audio so it is a bit slower. If no-one else is joining I may update the schedule a bit to just have 3 sections.?

message 18: by Imke (new) - rated it 5 stars

Imke (immie75) | 1642 comments Day 1 DQ, Chapters 1-9

I have already read this book, I'm not currently reading it. I have started The Illuminea files and Lifel1k3 is on my tbr. I love the way he writes.

I loved it actually, it does take some getting used to and I think it is mainly his use of footnotes and the flashbacks. Iread and listened to this book at the same time and I think that helped.

Read them as you go, you will miss vital information if you skip them and as Karen said they are very funny at times. I had the print version and the footnotes were on the same page.

Chelsea (chelseafairless) | 174 comments I have the book but have been really busy and I haven't had a chance to read much! I'll try to catch up but I may not be able to.

Sunny (sunnyisreading) | 340 comments I am so sorry for the DQs being late, I had a really busy week at school. :( I'll post them in a bit as soon as I get a hold of my computer.

message 21: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 3 stars

No probs Chelsea.

Thanks, Sunny!

I think I will combine the last 2 sections into one seeing that we don't have many readers here. Would anyone like to write the questions for the last half of the book on the 24th?

If not, I will hopefully be mostly done by then, but may be a day late and can post then

Sunny (sunnyisreading) | 340 comments Discussion Questions: Chapters 10-20, September 20th.

5. So far, what do you think of the little fragments we are seeing of the magic in the book? Would you like to possess such magic as Marielle or Adonai or do you think the price would be too high for such an ability?

6. Which class do you find the most interesting or like the most so far?

7. Were you surprised or did you expect the test happening? Do you think Mia and Cassius will cross paths again?

8. What do you think of all the tests the acolytes had to pass by now? Do you think they are too harsh?

9. Do you think Mister Kindly will come back or will Mia have to learn to fend for herself?

message 23: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 3 stars

Discussion Questions: Chapters 10-20, September 20th.

5. So far, what do you think of the little fragments we are seeing of the magic in the book? Would you like to possess such magic as Marielle or Adonai or do you think the price would be too high for such an ability?
The whole give and take with the magic is interesting. I’m not sure there is a magic we’ve seen yet that I thought I’d like. Although having a shadow cat is kind of cool 😉

6. Which class do you find the most interesting or like the most so far?
I found the Hall if Masks quite intriguing. It reminded me a bit of GoT (tv version) when Aria wants to be “no one”

7. Were you surprised or did you expect the test happening? Do you think Mia and Cassius will cross paths again?
I was surprised! I was so concerned about what was to happen to her and where the book was headed at that point.
Yes I think they absolutely will

8. What do you think of all the tests the acolytes had to pass by now? Do you think they are too harsh?
they are harsh but these are people training to be assassins so what can we expect, really?

9. Do you think Mister Kindly will come back or will Mia have to learn to fend for herself?
I think he will return but in the meantime she may learn some important coping strategies that she has never had to before

Karen Stringer | 3 comments Only able to buy it on Friday in Blackpool. Not able to buy in Ireland Late start but looking forward to it 🙋🏻‍♀️

message 25: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 3 stars

Karen wrote: "Only able to buy it on Friday in Blackpool. Not able to buy in Ireland Late start but looking forward to it 🙋🏻‍♀️"

Welcome Karen!

I'm still reading, but on audio so slowly ;)

message 26: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Sep 25, 2018 09:11PM) (new) - added it

Chapters 21-end

10. This was one violent book! Did you expect that?

11.Many people have tagged this as YA, although as Imke posted above, that was not the authors intention. What is your view?

12. Did you predict the double crossing (view spoiler)?

13. What were your thoughts on the romance angle? Did it have a place in a school for assassins?

14. Final thoughts on the book? The characters? Will you continue the series?

message 27: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (last edited Sep 26, 2018 05:44PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Chapters 21-end

10. This was one violent book! Did you expect that?
Not as much as it was. Obviously I knew it was about a school of assassins so there was some level to be expected, but I found it was pretty graphic - and got a bit much for me by the end

11.Many people have tagged this as YA, although as Imke posted above, that was not the authors intention. What is your view?
It does read like a YA book, but just with sex and lots of graphic violence, so I can see why people tag it that way. I wouldn't want my teenage niece and nephew to read it, but I think for older teens it probably isn't a big deal (they are reading GoT after all)

12. Did you predict the double crossing (view spoiler)?
I didn't, but I knew it wasn't Jess as she was too obvious. When the blood was found on Mia's bed there really was only one person it could have come from.
I found this quite sad actually as I think Mia and (view spoiler)

13. What were your thoughts on the romance angle? Did it have a place in a school for assassins?
I think this was important to soften Mia a bit. Does anyone else hope that Tric is still alive? I kind of feel like he has to be.... although maybe that is me thinking with a YA mind

14. Final thoughts on the book? The characters? Will you continue the series?
I'm not sure how I felt about it. I loved the humour and the world and the characters. But kind of like Divergent I felt the levels of graphic violence a bit unwarranted. I've put book 2 on my list, but I'm not in a massive hurry

message 28: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 3 stars

I'm guessing no-one else finished?

Karen Stringer | 3 comments Only picked it up last week and it’s now in my case for hols this Saturday. Sorry I missed the deadline but will be interesting to look back when I’m finished 👍

Karen Stringer | 3 comments Agree with your point 14 Karen. Book 2 is on my list but not in any rush to be honest