Beta Reader Group discussion

Betas Offering FREE Services > psych thriller/mystery/noir/espionage reader

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (last edited Aug 16, 2018 03:26PM) (new)

mostly looking to read, but also open to exchanging work if that's a thing. I love 'mind games' type stories in particular, and super cerebral, byzantine investigations are also my jam.

I've been through MFA programs, where I learned a lot about how not to give notes. Put it this way: I will be straightforward with you but I will not attempt to crush your soul in the name of being "honest."

I really like wrestling with big-picture questions, questions about structure and acts and plotting and arcs, and especially why characters are doing what they're doing.

i guess, direct/private message me, if interested.

message 2: by Riley (new)

Riley | 1 comments Hi Alex, I'm new to the group because I'm looking for someone to help me comb over this work-in-progress. It's a dark thriller story, based in the 70s Vietnam era. I'm about 2/3rds of the way through, currently in the process of re-writes and edits before moving on to the final third but I'd very much appreciate constructive feedback. Would this be something you're interested in?

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Riley wrote: "Hi Alex, I'm new to the group because I'm looking for someone to help me comb over this work-in-progress. It's a dark thriller story, based in the 70s Vietnam era. I'm about 2/3rds of the way throu..."

hi riley, send me a direct message -- let's chat.

message 4: by David (new)

David Burton (goodreadscomdcburtonjr) | 16 comments Hi Alex,
I'm looking for a Beta Reader for a revised edition of a psychological thriller, Fear Killer.
It's a bit graphic in a few scenes if that's a concern.
You can email me at dcburtonjr@gmail.com or reply here.
Thanks for considering Fear Killer.
Cheers.

A cautionary tale, the psychological suspense novel Fear Killer is the story of Emily Perrit, a beautiful but timid young woman victimized by an abusive, adulterous husband. When Emily is attacked by an intruder in her home, she surprises herself by fighting off and finally killing the man. Seeing the fear in his dying eyes, something snaps inside her. She has never made anybody afraid before. She is no longer willing to be a victim. Her need to see that fear again soon becomes an obsession, with deadly consequences.
A Female Detective, Martha Newton, helps her as a victim as she hunts her as a killer.

reply | edit | delete | flag *

message 5: by I.V. (new)

I.V. Olokita (ivolokita) | 6 comments Hi Alex
I finally finished translating and editing my new English book and would be delighted to find beta readers who like to read psychological thrillers.

It's not a long book - 35,000 words.
Plot Location - UK
Language - British English

blurb - "A small white sign still hanged on a wall in Ward 3, growing yellow and blurred with time.
It had a black frame, and was handwritten, in a hand I was well acquainted with. The letters seemed to have long lost any definite shape. At the end, among all the calligraphy in that frame, one could detect a blurred signature.
It read, 'even if a dog goes mad, it will always be a dog'.
This is the beginning and the end of the tragic relations between Elsie, an eccentric, half-worn teenager, and her supposedly redeemer, John Wilcox, a young idler preying on adolescent girls, who's destiny bought near Birmingham Mental Institution.
The earthquake that destroyed the hospital, from which Wilcox saved Elsie, turned out to have rocked his life and the lives of all other characters.

ivolokota2@gmail.com

message 6: by I.V. (new)

I.V. Olokita (ivolokita) | 6 comments Hi Alex
I finally finished translating and editing my new English book and would be delighted to find beta readers who like to read psychological thrillers.

It's not a long book - 35,000 words.
Plot Location - UK
Language - British English

blurb - "A small white sign still hanged on a wall in Ward 3, growing yellow and blurred with time.
It had a black frame, and was handwritten, in a hand I was well acquainted with. The letters seemed to have long lost any definite shape. At the end, among all the calligraphy in that frame, one could detect a blurred signature.
It read, 'even if a dog goes mad, it will always be a dog'.
This is the beginning and the end of the tragic relations between Elsie, an eccentric, half-worn teenager, and her supposedly redeemer, John Wilcox, a young idler preying on adolescent girls, who's destiny bought near Birmingham Mental Institution.
The earthquake that destroyed the hospital, from which Wilcox saved Elsie, turned out to have rocked his life and the lives of all other characters.

ivolokota2@gmail.com

message 7: by Moses (new)

Moses Mervin (mozymervin) | 33 comments Sent you a private message.

message 8: by Evette (new)

Evette | 43 comments I am pleased to present to you my semi-contemporary, near historical YA novel, Life of a High School Novice. The time period is 2001-2002 about a girl going through the adjustments of high school at her church's Christian academy as a freshman.

Finally graduating and entering high school is the only thing keeping Evangeline Hart going. Her dull and mostly disappointing life was filled with work which in her Caribbean family that’s what you do. Work. You work hard and get an education so that you can bring yourself up in life. There is work and there is God. Sometimes there’s fun. Sometimes. But that was her life. Emphasis on was because she has watched enough movies and television to know that her life is about to change. Her life is about to be filled with the color of friendship. But maybe she’s not doing it right, because her newfound friends don’t seem to care about her or uniting together against the evils of this world or at least protect each other from the evils of this world. And her love interest is too busy to realize she exists. Her mother says she needs to be more aggressive. So, she’s too quiet. Again, there is something wrong with her. Never can she measure up. She’s only in her teens and is already beginning to feel winded by what is life. Perhaps she was never meant to keep up? High school was supposed to save her not be her end. If she can’t figure out her place and how to cope, she may just fall into the inescapable realm called the depths of despair otherwise known as depression which has already started gnawing at her from time to time since middle school.

message 9: by Brian (new)

Brian Christopher (brianchristopher) | 29 comments Would you be interested in a classic mystery/thriller? "The Puzzlemaker"

After 10 years service as a cryptographer with MI6 during the cold war, the extremely shy and reclusive George Withers becomes editor and compiler of the Sunday Times crossword.
30 years later and now in his 60's, an old MI6 colleague asks him to place a code within the Sunday Times cryptic crossword puzzle. Unknown to him, this results in a number of gruesome deaths. The father of one of the victims discovers the puzzle maker had something to do with his son's death, and goes on the hunt. Now George has to solve his own puzzle to save his own life.