Our Marginalized Relations discussion

The True Story of Pocahontas > First book: The True Story of Pocahontas by Linwood Custalow

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by MeerderWörter (new)

MeerderWörter | 120 comments Mod
Hello!

Our first book will cover the story of Pocahontas.

We all know the story of Pocahontas, right?
Well, the Disney version is not the truth!
Pocahontas, daughter of Wahunsenaca, and her short and tragic life are the center of this book, the book is written according to sacred oral history of the Mattaponi tribe, part of the Powhatan nation.

This book has opened my eyes, both on the history of Pocahontas, as well as the history of the Powhatan nation and the English. It is a book covering huge emotional turmoil.
Lies, greed and excruciating pain on the one side, bravery, love and perseverance on the other side - I ache when I think about what Pocahontas as well as her people had to go through.

A huge thank you to @lilrednacho on Twitter, a Mattaponi woman herself, who on her feed has written A LOT about Pocahontas under the hashtag #LeaveMataokaAlone.
Please check out her account, she is who has introduced me to this book.

message 2: by Pam (new)

Pam | 93 comments This is where we put the big warning sign: warning rape incoming.

message 3: by Holly (new)

Holly (goldikova) This is timely! Just yesterday my friend visited and complained that her son gave his daughter a copy of the Disney Pocahontas movie. My friend is a tribal member and active in tribal outreach and she was really upset.

message 4: by Robert (new)

Robert Smart | 38 comments I wanted to learn more about the true background of Pocahontas ever since she was spoken about on

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/nativetr...

I just added it to my Amazon cart. :)

message 5: by Pam (last edited Aug 17, 2018 06:35AM) (new)

Pam | 93 comments Thanks Meerder for starting this group with this book.

Do you have a time when you want the group to have read this book? Any chance we can go on a two-month book cycle?

message 6: by Nadine (new)

Nadine ♥ (misshappyreading) | 32 comments Any chance we can go on a two-month book cycle?"

I'd vote for the two-month cycle too :)

Thank you for inviting me to this group. The book choice sounds super interesting. I'll order a copy asap.
All I know about that story is the Disney version.

message 7: by Holly (new)

Holly (goldikova) Keith wrote: "To be honest, I have not paid any attention to the story of Pocahontas, Disney or otherwise, so I start from a position of complete ignorance (nothing new for me in that respect).

So, I have read..."

I am hoping my support of the Scottish and Welsh Nationalist movements won't offend you.

message 8: by Kate (new)

Kate Griffiths (katemarie7griffithsgmailcom) | 2 comments Can’t wait to read it! 😊

message 9: by Nadine (new)

Nadine ♥ (misshappyreading) | 32 comments Kate wrote: "Can’t wait to read it! 😊"

I'm still waiting ... hope my copy arrives soon. I can't wait to read it too :)

message 10: by Pam (last edited Sep 04, 2018 02:04PM) (new)

Pam | 93 comments Oohhh. Does everyone else see when someone rates a book next to their name in the thread above?

That's a pretty cool update Goodreads has that I am just noticing. Or did Meerder do something with her fancy Mod powers?

message 11: by MeerderWörter (new)

MeerderWörter | 120 comments Mod
Pam wrote: "Oohhh. Does everyone else see when someone rates a book next to their name in the thread above?

That's a pretty cool update Goodreads has that I am just noticing. Or did Meerder do something with..."

No, that's not in a mod's powers;)
Wanted to do a topic on what mods can do anyways, will do when I have time;)