Beta Reader Group discussion

Betas Offering FREE Services > Beta Reader Available (Dystopian/Sci-Fi/Speculative etc)

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Celeste (new)

Celeste Hall (celeste97) | 11 comments Hi all. My name is Celeste, and I used to be very involved with this community. Over the last few years, I've been extremely busy, but things have cleared up lately. In short, I'd love to get going again!

I am an experienced Beta Reader, and I have a really good eye for what works and what doesn't. I read about everything, but I specialize in Dystopian, Sci-Fi, Adventure, Fantasy, Speculative, etc. Contact me if you've got your ego in check, and if you're down to show your work to someone who is kind, but honest. Someone who can identify your strengths and push you to be the best writer you can be.

Let me know!

Celeste

message 2: by Eric (new)

Eric Balson | 36 comments Hi Celeste, I have a scifi with dystopian themes that needs a fresh pair of eyes. Is this up your alley? Thanks.

message 3: by Celeste (new)

Celeste Hall (celeste97) | 11 comments Celeste wrote: "Hi all. My name is Celeste, and I used to be very involved with this community. Over the last few years, I've been extremely busy, but things have cleared up lately. In short, I'd love to get going..."

Hi Eric - why don't you tell me a little bit more about your story. How many words is it? Can you give me a blurb on what it's about? And so on. I've had a lot of requests and am starting to get booked, so this will be helpful to know the time commitment.

message 4: by Eric (new)

Eric Balson | 36 comments Hello Celeste,
My project is a YA sci-fi about 67k words. This is an encapsulation of the story: After she becomes a target of her town’s mental health stigma, an intelligent teenage girl builds a machine to erase her memories, and cure her PTSD—even though it could delete her identity

message 5: by Celeste (new)

Celeste Hall (celeste97) | 11 comments Hi Eric -

Unfortunately, I've been all booked up by Beta Reading requests. However, I'll still be lurking in the Beta Readers group, and will post my availability as soon as I have time again.

Good luck, and I hope to get a chance to read your story in the near future!

Celeste Hall

message 6: by Jasper (new)

Jasper Whitted (notafunsucker) | 15 comments Hi Celeste,
Are you still looking for projects to beta read?

My concept:

There’s an urban legend that people born precisely at midnight experience a 25th hour in their day normal people are unaware exists and freeze during; however, contrary to what’s typical—that this extra hour is a time for unsupervised and unpunishable adventure and mischief—my spin on the myth is that the 25th hour is a curse due to violent monsters that attack anyone awake during this time each night. As a result, all Midnighters, those born at midnight who experience the 25th hour, must be taught to survive it starting at age six.

A blurb:

Quinn is an eighteen-year-old Guide who receives his assignment of a Follower, a six-year-old he is given the task of protecting and training during the 25th hour each night as is required by the Midnighters organization. All Quinn wants is to move on from a past that plagues him and find inner peace, to not look in the mirror with complete abhorrence, but when he finally begins to make progress by developing a romantic relationship, he is sucked into an escalating series of events. Quinn is left questioning if perhaps there’s something going on behind the scenes that he never knew about. He unknowingly uncovers deception, hidden motives, and a whole conspiracy he never dreamed existed, all while trying to pilot his way through emotions he’s suppressed for far too long.

And some disclosures:

The underlying theme throughout the novel is self-acceptance combined with navigating the perils of love and loss. My completed novel is the first of a science fiction-romance series I call “Midnight’s Curse”. Its specific title is, “Midnight’s Curse: The 25th Hour” and my intended audience is New Adults (late teens-mid-twenties). The book itself is 102,000 words and contains curse words, sex scenes, and violence.

If you’re interested or would like more information, please send me an email to Jwbetareads@gmail.com. Thanks so much!

message 7: by J.D. (new)

J.D. Lasica (jdlasica) | 17 comments Hi Celeste, are you still doing beta reads for speculative fiction? If so, please DM me and perhaps I can do something for you in return. Thanks!

message 8: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 80 comments Hello Celeste,
I'm needing a beta reader for a novella/short story that's about 12,100 words. Here's a brief synopsis:

When a psychic boy's father is murdered, his long lost mother takes custody of him. But she isn't human and he fears he may not be either. The murderer seems to know this too.

If you're interested drop an email at amandajustice92@yahoo.com. Thanks!

message 9: by Gail (new)

Gail Griffiths | 12 comments I am looking for a beta reader who will give me an honest critique of book one of a trilogy that I am working one. I am more than halfway into book two, but before I send off book one to an editor I want to know if it worth my time. I am a new author who has spent 25 years as a journalist working on reality. This is a time travel tale: here is a short synopsis:
Remember the Future Teaser
Lifelong friends and newly graduated from high school, Joe and Harriet kickoff their summer break with a hike that soon turns deadly. They are pursued by a frustrated suitor whom Harriet had spurned. Forced to try to outrun him, they head into a cave that leads them through an ancient door straight into the future. That future brings them romance, and new friends, including an android with a romantic heart and an agenda. But, it also brings them face to face with the power-hungry head of a research facility who offers them a deal that could alter the future of the human race. Faced with a life-altering decision, do they follow the advice of the friendly robot, who urges them to go along with it for now? Do they take the deal, or will they try to escape? Is the android really their friend, or has he led them into a trap? You will find all the answers in book one.