What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Children's Christmas book about a lame boy who wants a rocking horse for Christmas. Read around 1988.

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michele (new)

Michele Daily | 4 comments Trying to find for a friend. She was read this as a child about 30 years ago .

When I was little, my mom used to tell me a story about a very poor, little lame boy who dreamed of getting a rocking horse for Christmas. I remember vividly picturing him sitting in the window of his small house, watching the snow come down, and dreaming of a beautiful rocking horse. I wish I could find the original story, because it is such a precious memory to me of just how beautifully it was written. The little boy’s mother had no money, and she didn’t know what to do. There was no way she could afford a rocking horse for her son. She was working her hardest every day to provide enough food for them to eat. She worked at a big, beautiful house, and one day she mentioned how much her little boy dreamed of owning a rocking horse. The chamber maid knew how hard this mother worked… and she loved this woman, because she was always kind and happy and helpful to work with. The chamber maid used her wages for that Christmas week to place an advertisement in the town’s newspaper. It read, “WANTED: A Rocking Horse for the little lame boy whose family hasn’t enough money for Christmas this year. Please, if you have an extra rocking horse, leave it on the front lawn at the very last house on the end of Elm Street on Christmas Eve.”

The Chamber maid was so excited about the prospect of this little boy possibly getting a rocking horse for Christmas, that she couldn’t sleep. She slipped out early Christmas morning, to see if there was possibly a Christmas Miracle waiting for her dear friend’s child. As she got close enough to see through the morning fog, she couldn’t believe her eyes!!! There, on the front lawn of the tiny home, were 23 rocking horses!!! Bright, shiny, new rocking horses, small, well loved rocking horses with ribbons tied around their mane, rocking horses small enough to sleep with, and even a few bigger than a bicycle!

message 2: by Tab (new)

Tab (tabbrown) | 5055 comments This is a beautiful story!
I hope someone recognizes the story.

Does your friend remember if this story was in a children's picture book or a collection of children stories?

message 3: by Michele (new)

Michele Daily | 4 comments She doesn't remember sadly

message 4: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 40658 comments Mod
Michele, are you still looking for this or did you find it?

message 5: by Michele (new)

Michele Daily | 4 comments No I never did

message 6: by Michele (new)

Michele Daily | 4 comments So yes I'm still trying to find it

message 7: by Eric (new)

Eric Bruce | 137 comments d h lawrence wrote a short story called The rocking horse winner . Could this be it ?

message 8: by SamSpayedPI (last edited Feb 05, 2022 04:22AM) (new)

SamSpayedPI | 2075 comments Eric wrote: "d h lawrence wrote a short story called The rocking horse winner . Could this be it ?"

The Rocking-Horse Winner is about a boy who rides his rocking horse to determine the winners in horse races, so his avaricious family can bet on them to get rich. It doesn't sound like the same story at all.

message 9: by Capn (new)

Capn | 1602 comments There's a list, but I'm not seeing it on there. Just FYI for future browsing:
https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/1...