Play Book Tag discussion

The Summer Wives
This topic is about The Summer Wives
Archive: Other Books > The Summer Wives by Beatriz Williams--4 stars

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nicole R (last edited Aug 16, 2018 10:46AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7784 comments The Summer Wives by Beatriz Williams
4 stars

Beatriz Williams is back on track after her last couple of books were a big disappointment. In fact, I think this is my favorite Williams book since Tiny Little Thing.

It is summertime on Winthrop Island (a fictionalized version of Fishers Island) where the summer people are back in their expensive seasonal homes just down the way from the year-round residents who are primarily working class Portuguese lobstermen. The rule of the day is to be polite, but never the twain shall meet.

In three summers—1930, 1951, and 1969—one summer family centered around new money Hugh Fisher and one year-round family centered around the Vargases meet in ways that have ramifications that ripple through the generations until the waves hit Miranda Schuyler (our connection to the Beatriz-verse), a movie star beauty with connections to the island who is running from something in her past and present.

This is the Williams book I have been waiting for. I listened to the whole thing on the way to and from vacation in northern Vermont and it made the drive fly by! The characters were compelling, the stories full of intrigue, and enough hints were dropped that when twists were revealed that you almost couldn't believe you hadn't quite figured that one out. I honestly liked each of the storylines equally!

I had trouble keeping the characters straight in the 1930 storyline, but eventually got them straightened out. Isabelle, Miranda's step-sister, was my least favorite character as she was just way too shallow and self-centered for me. Also, the part where (view spoiler) dragged on for way too long, but once the story got moving again it did so at a break-neck pace!

The Summer Wives has renewed my love of Beatriz Williams and, luckily, I do not have much longer to wait for a new book because her joint writing endeavor with Lauren Willig and Karen WhiteThe Glass Ocean—comes out right after Labor Day!

message 2: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy | 9342 comments I’m excited! It’s back on my TBR. And... I entered a couple of giveaways for it. Nice review.

Ladyslott | 1880 comments I’m glad you liked it as much as I did. If I ever get a chance to breathe I may gather my notes and write reviews again.

message 4: by Jeremiah (new)

Jeremiah Cunningham | 717 comments Ladyslott wrote: "I’m glad you liked it as much as I did. If I ever get a chance to breathe I may gather my notes and write reviews again."

I miss your reviews. They were always quite insightful.

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7784 comments I miss them too because it was one of the main ways I picked my reads! lol

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 6389 comments Yes, Linda .. we miss your reviews! I think your review of A Hundred Summers was what introduced me to Williams.

Speaking of reviews .... great one on this book, Nicole R. I did NOT open the spoiler. I have the book but haven't gotten to it yet.