The Backlot Gay Book Forum discussion

Glen & Tyler's Honeymoon Adventure (Glen & Tyler's Adventures, #1)
Book Series Discussions > Glen & Tyler's Honeymoon Adventure, by J.B. Sanders

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Ulysses Dietz | 1672 comments Glen & Tyler’s Honeymoon Adventure
By J.B. Sanders
Published by the author, 2011
Four stars

Sanders is a new discovery for me, and I was startled to see that this first in the Glen & Tyler series was published in 2011, which seems an ice-age ago, given all that has transpired in the past seven years. You see, 2009 was the year same-sex marriage became legal in Vermont, five years after it was declared legal in Mitt Romney’s Massachusetts. In New Jersey, where I and my husband have lived for 38 years, it was not until 2013. The Defense of Marriage Act was not overturned by the Supreme Court until 2015. All caught up?

Now to the point: the kickoff premise of this book is that two longtime best-friend straight jocks get married in order to save one of the couple’s inheritance. Glen and Tyler have known each other since the age of fourteen, and have chased women together and lived together through college and their early years of adulting. When Tyler finds he has to marry before the age of twenty-five, and can’t get any of his former girlfriends to accommodate him, Glen takes a deep breath and proposes.

There are no spoilers here—this all happens in the first few pages. It seems like these two stereotypical frat-boy skirt-chasers are less straight than they thought, and have in fact been in love with each other for years. Only in extremis did Glen find the courage to take a leap of faith. Only at their first kiss does Tyler finally tumble to the truth.

This premise should be really aggravating to someone like me, echoing as it does the tiresome “gay for you” trope that some m/m writers fancy. However, Sanders somehow manages to take that trope and turn it on its head, making it into a bi-in-denial idea that makes rather marvelous sense. This whole series is about two bi men who fall in love with each other, but continue to flirt with and appreciate women on-page, even as they settle into monogamy and fidelity with apparent ease.

The series also reminds me of the prolific writings of Frank Butterfield, whose Nick & Carter series first appeared in 2016. Both series involve twenty-something guys in love and with lots of money, trying to deal with the hands they’ve been dealt in a world that isn’t always accommodating. The comparison between the 1950s world created by Frank Butterfield and the 2010s world presented by J.B. Sanders is striking. All this proves, to my mind, is that gay writers might possibly share the same kind of money-is-power fantasy. And, indeed, why not?

My initial skepticism over the book faded away as I got caught up in the humor and good nature of Glen and Tyler. Their love feels as real as their friendship and their shared love of hockey. But what really stands out is their courage and their unshakeable focus on using their money for good. They confront rather astonishing dark forces out to unseat them from their happiness, and do so by coming out as a couple, again and again, as the very first weapon in their toolkit. Anyone part of a long-term same-sex couple will know what this relentless coming out it like. That alone would make Glen and Tyler heroes in my book.

The book is by turns funny and chilling, but these two young men never succumb to the spirit of vengeance that they might rightfully embrace. This aspect of Sanders’ story warmed my heart: we are better than our oppressors. We do not sink to their level. Especially in today’s socio-political climate, it is good to be reminded of this.

OK, I’ve checked out J.B. Sanders’ website and GR page, and it appears that he’s a (presumably) gay man writing this quirky, high-spirited series. I’m a wee bit gun-shy these days, what with people publishing books under false gender premises to seduce certain market shares into reading their work. I’m just too old for this. I guess I took liberation too much to heart in the 1970s.

As a closing note: I’ve bought the first three books in this series, and I imagine I’ll be adding on the rest of them in the near future. I can’t change the world, but I can support authors who write books like this.

message 2: by Pablito (new) - added it

Pablito (pablito2772) | 10 comments Yet another thoughtful, beautifully written review from Ulysses Dietz! He makes one want to read the book immediately. What a treasure to have discovered this man of taste and discernment and style. And oh yeah, Glen and Tyler's Honeymoon Adventure sounds good too!

Ulysses Dietz | 1672 comments Pablito wrote: "Yet another thoughtful, beautifully written review from Ulysses Dietz! He makes one want to read the book immediately. What a treasure to have discovered this man of taste and discernment and style..." You flatter me embarrassingly. But thanks. My reviews are sincere, and I love it when people enjoy them.

Parker | 4 comments Yes, I enjoy your reviews and rely on them to find the next good book to read.