What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Fantasy book about a woman and a man who go on a journey together and one of them (I think the woman) has some kind of magic powers - something to do with an archipelago. Possible Spoiler ahead.

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Emily (new)

Emily | 1 comments Sorry - my memory of this is really patchy but it's been bothering me for months now.

I read a book about 16-18 years ago. I don't think it was very old at the time so I'm guessing it was published in the 90s or 80s. Definitely English, and I'm from the UK, but it might have been an American novel.

It was a fantasy novel and I believe it was set in an archipelago, because I remember pronouncing that word totally wrong and my mum correcting me! It might even have "archipelago" in the title.

(Could be a SPOILER)

The one memorable scene that I can remember is that the woman and the man start travelling together, and early on they are camping and it's cold at night and one of them suggests that "there's a way they can warm up" and they make love - it was more insinuation than anything so at first it went right over my head (as I was pretty young at the time). But what stuck with me was that scene, because of the phrasing and the kind of matter of fact way it all happened!

I'm pretty sure one of the characters had some kind of magic powers, and also there might have been a pet bird - I think a raven?!

Sorry, I know this is all super vague but if it sounds familiar to anyone you'd really make my day.

message 2: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Holland | 130 comments I'm reminded of of The Unicorn Creed, by Elizabeth Ann Scarborough. I don't think it refers to an archipelago, but it's set on one to the best of my recollection. There's a scene near the end in which the main characters (Colin and Maggie) have to warm up, after one's been in a frozen cell for a while - different phrasing, and it's not quite so matter of fact (plus her unicorn gets really upset afterwards).

There's definite magic powers, and someone gets turned into a bird at least once...

message 3: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 40644 comments Mod
Emily, are you still looking for this or did you find it?