What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Science Fiction Ocean Horror book, late 70's early 80's

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cipriano (new)

Cipriano Oliva | 2 comments Looking for a book that I read in grade school in the early 80's. It concerns the creatures of the Ocean rising up and attacking humans because of how they have been treated. I know of one book called The Swarm but that book was written in 2006 not nearly long enough ago.

message 2: by 0possum (new)

0possum | 71 comments Maybe Solaris? But it's on another planet and it's mental not physical attacks (if I recall).

message 3: by Peter (new)

Peter Meilinger | 474 comments The Swarm was the first one I thought of, but it's definitely too recent. The only similar book I know of that's old enough is a series by Guy N. Smith that begins with Night of the Crabs. The Amazon blurb is a thing of beauty:

The Welsh coast basks in summer tranquility. Then the 'drownings' begin. But not until the monstrous crustaceans crawl ashore, their pincers poised for destruction, does the world understand the threat it faces. A seafood cocktail for the strongest stomachs.

message 4: by Aerulan (new)

Aerulan | 1247 comments Cachalot has a similar theme but it's set on another planet where whales and other cetaceans have been imported. It does fall within the right timeline for publishing though.

message 5: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6967 comments Mod
Dolphin Island was my first thought, but that's not the title of the book I meant. Maybe something by Robert A. Heinlein or Isaac Asimov? I know there was one where the attacks started because of nuclear bomb testing. It had caused cephalopods (which are supposedly already intelligent) to get even smarter and to develop psychic powers. But I can't think which book it was now, and, well, I have a few (thousand) books on my GR shelves that I've read. I'll try to remember to check them later, but feel free to check them out for yourself Cipriano.

message 6: by 0possum (new)

0possum | 71 comments Peter wrote: "The only similar book I know of that's old enough is a series by Guy N. Smith that begins with [book:Night of the Crabs|496..."

I want to see the movie version of Night of the Crabs but only if it was made in a basement or garage and involves craggy Welsh cliffs made of sugar cubes and dead blue crabs in stop motion video.

[on hiatus] The rockabilly werewolf from Mars | 1527 comments Still looking for this?

message 11: by Genesistrine (new)

Genesistrine | 399 comments Sea Siege by Andre Norton?

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/4...

message 13: by Kris (new)

Kris | 36591 comments Mod
Cipriano, are you still looking for this book or did you find it?

message 16: by JennAnn (new)

JennAnn | 30 comments Possibly John Wyndham’s book The Kraken Wakes, Which was originally published in the USA as Out of the Deeps. It was originally published in the fifties, so could have made it into school libraries by the 80s. However, in this book the malevolent creatures inhabiting the sea were not actually sea creatures, but aliens.

message 18: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 40658 comments Mod
Please note you can bump your own threads but not others' threads, because the group is so large.

[on hiatus] The rockabilly werewolf from Mars | 1527 comments Lobstergirl wrote: "Please note you can bump your own threads but not others' threads, because the group is so large."

How is anyone supposed to find older threads then? Most people don't look at anything past the first page or so, so most searches will never be solved unless someone bumps them on occasion.

message 20: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 40658 comments Mod
It's the OP's responsibility to bump their thread, if it's falling way back into the pagination. The OP supposedly wants to find the book, so they need to take the initiative. Other members can search for older queries and make suggestions for them.