Tudor History Lovers discussion

Tudor Book Recomendations > Mary I of England (Bloody Mary)

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Susan C (new)

Susan C (somersetpurplegmailcom) | 122 comments I can only find 2 books on Bloody Mary: The First Queen of England by Porter and Bloody Mary by Erickson. Any other suggestions?

message 2: by Tanzanite (new)

Tanzanite | 47 comments For non-fiction:
The Spanish Tudor by HFM Prescott
Mary Tudor by Judith Richards
Mary Tudor by David Loades
Fires of Faith: Catholic England under Mary Tudor by Eamon Duffy

message 3: by Susan (new)

Susan (boswellbaxter) There are biographies by David Loades and Judith Richards. The latter is reviewed on this blog:

http://mary-tudor.blogspot.com/2009/0...

message 4: by Jennifer, Mod #5 (new)

Jennifer (jennifertudor) | 951 comments I found these on Amazon...

The First Queen of England The Myth of "Bloody Mary" Linda Porter
The Reign of Mary Tudor James Anthony Froude
Mary Tudor Courageous Queen or Bloody Mary? Jane Buchanan
Her Mother's Daughter A Novel of Queen Mary Tudor Julianne Lee (This one is to be released December 1, 2009)
Queen in Waiting A Life of "Bloody Mary" Tudor Georgess McHargue

And (once again) I can't say enough about The Children of Henry VIII aka Children of England (UK) by Alison Weir. Although it's about all of his heirs, there is a lot of interesting things I picked up about Mary from this book :)

message 5: by Susan C (new)

Susan C (somersetpurplegmailcom) | 122 comments Thanks to all of you. I was, until yesterday, thinking that Mary I and Mary Queen of Scots was the same person. Duh!!!! I shouldn't even admit that on this site, but there it is. I hang my head in shame!

message 6: by Jennifer, Mod #5 (new)

Jennifer (jennifertudor) | 951 comments Susan C wrote: "Thanks to all of you. I was, until yesterday, thinking that Mary I and Mary Queen of Scots was the same person. Duh!!!! I shouldn't even admit that on this site, but there it is. I hang my head i..."

I don't think hanging your head is necessary :) There are so many people with the same name it's bound to get confusing! I've been there too

message 7: by Misfit (new)

Misfit | 161 comments Susan, I just found an old hardback of Erickson's book that I have no interest in keeping. Can't find an ISBN # to get it listed at PBS. You interested?

message 8: by Susan C (new)

Susan C (somersetpurplegmailcom) | 122 comments I own Erickson's book but thanks for the offer!

message 9: by Tanzanite (new)

Tanzanite | 47 comments Misfit wrote: "Susan, I just found an old hardback of Erickson's book that I have no interest in keeping. Can't find an ISBN # to get it listed at PBS. You interested?"

You can post books without ISBN's(PBS will create a 5 or 6 digit number for it - don't put books with those short "ISBN's" on you wish list since they were one time copies and will never be posted with that number again). You can also post in the Historical Fiction Forum (look under discussion forums in the community section) - we usually have a thread for books that are available for that month. Just be sure to specify that it doesn't have an ISBN so that if you post it directly to someone's wish list (if you need to know how to do that let me know) they know the ISBN's won't match. That's generally against the rules, but the HF group is pretty small and many of us don't care which version a book is and are just glad to get a book that we want.

message 10: by Misfit (new)

Misfit | 161 comments Thanks Tanzanite. I'll get it posted later, I'm going to hold off posting anymore until I get some credit built up. I've sent out ten books and patiently waiting for my credits :)

message 11: by Jennifer, Mod #5 (new)

Jennifer (jennifertudor) | 951 comments Misfit, I would love to get that book if you still have it?

message 12: by Misfit (new)

Misfit | 161 comments Jennifer wrote: "Misfit, I would love to get that book if you still have it? "

Sure, just PM me with a mailing address.

message 13: by Jennifer, Mod #5 (new)

Jennifer (jennifertudor) | 951 comments Misfit wrote: "Jennifer wrote: "Misfit, I would love to get that book if you still have it? "

Sure, just PM me with a mailing address."

Done. Thanks so much!

message 14: by Colleen, Mod #3 (new)

Colleen (nightoleander) | 1106 comments Jennifer wrote: "I found these on Amazon...

The First Queen of England The Myth of "Bloody Mary" Linda Porter
The Reign of Mary Tudor James Anthony Froude
[book:Mary Tudor Cour..."

God bless you and your dedication to the Tudors Jennifer! I don't think Mary gets enough credit; I love reading about her and her tragic life.

message 15: by Jennifer, Mod #5 (new)

Jennifer (jennifertudor) | 951 comments Thanks Colleen. Sometimes, I think it's just too much time on my hands :)

Actually it's funny because when I first read this thread I though I had TONS of books on Mary and I don't own a single one! They're all on Mary QoS! Then I was determined to find a couple :)

message 16: by Susan C (new)

Susan C (somersetpurplegmailcom) | 122 comments That's why I started the thread, because I was in the same predicament. Tons of books on Mary QoS but only one on Mary Tudor. As I said before, until recently I thought they were the same person. Duh on my part. At least I now know the truth.

You have all given me great suggestions. Porter's book arrived yesterday. Fraude's is pretty expensive where I've looked(amazon and alibris). I'm looking forward to Lee's being released in Dec.

Thanks again for the help!

message 17: by Jennifer, Mod #5 (new)

Jennifer (jennifertudor) | 951 comments Susan C wrote: "That's why I started the thread, because I was in the same predicament. Tons of books on Mary QoS but only one on Mary Tudor. As I said before, until recently I thought they were the same person. D..."

I also can't wait for that one! I tend to like start out by reading an HF novel first and then following it up with non-fiction. This one is Mary's voice should be great. Or one would hope anyway...

message 18: by Susan C (new)

Susan C (somersetpurplegmailcom) | 122 comments I'm the same way fiction then nonfiction!

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) Susan - I was the same for years, not realizing that Mary QoS and Mary Tudor were two different people. I kept getting confused over how she became the Scottish Queen, so don't feel alone. As for all the great suggestions, I am adding to my TBR pile as we speak. Maybe our next group or mini-group read should be a Mary Tudor book?

message 20: by Susan C (new)

Susan C (somersetpurplegmailcom) | 122 comments That sounds great! Thank goodness I'm not the only one who for years thought they were the same person. I couldn't understand how people could refer to Elizabeth amd Mary QOS as cousins, in my mind they were sisters.

message 21: by Colleen, Mod #3 (new)

Colleen (nightoleander) | 1106 comments We have the poll up fo the next group read Lyn and Susan C so it's not too late to change your vote! On that note I am finding it somewhat difficult (and humorous) attempting to reign in you fellow Tudor obsessors when it comes to group reads! I've been trolling the threads looking out for group read desires and suggestions, I may have to start taking notes.

I love this group, makes me feel like less of a strange duck for being so into the Tudor period!

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) Ya - I remembered we were polling for the next read after I posted, sorry Colleen. I also noticed that Bloody Mary is on the poll, so if not for next read, maybe one coming up soon. You know how it is, any Tudor will do for me.

message 23: by Darbus, Mod #2 (new)

Darbus | 93 comments There's the additional problem of King Henry VIII's younger sister to add to the mix as well, and since she and Mary, Queen of Scots were both in France for a time, and there's Mary Boleyn, I think that we can all safely conclude that upper-class parents in that era had naming problems, and that this was a run-on sentence.

message 24: by Colleen, Mod #3 (new)

Colleen (nightoleander) | 1106 comments Lyn, no problem I notice Tudor lovers tend to get very excited about Tudor books TBR. Lol, there will be a poll every other month for the next group read subject.

Darbus, been waiting for you to post! Can you add me and the rest of the mod's as friends so we can have your input on mod related things such as the next group read?

message 25: by Darbus, Mod #2 (new)

Darbus | 93 comments Colleen, I'm sorry I haven't posted in so long. I've been out of town a couple of times, and then didn't have much time in-between the two times. I normally don't add people I don't know in real life as friends, but okay, I guess. Will do.

message 26: by Colleen, Mod #3 (new)

Colleen (nightoleander) | 1106 comments Thanks Darbus, we were just wanting your input for how to run the group reads, thanks for breaking your rule :)