Hugo & Nebula Awards: Best Novels discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archive > 100th Member Celebration.

Comments Showing 1-38 of 38 (38 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Art, Stay home, stay safe. (last edited Aug 16, 2018 09:18AM) (new)

Art | 2546 comments Mod
It's only been but a couple of months since our last celebration as a group, I can hardly believe that we've grown to this size in such a short time! Many thanks to everyone for keeping this group going and yet another big welcome to all the new members!

In order to celebrate this rather significant milestone, me and Bryan are doing another giveaway. However this time we will be doing it in two stages.

Stage 1 will be a Word Association game on theme of Sci-fi , the goal of the game is simply reaching 100 entries. Once that condition has been met, we will be moving to:

Stage 2, which is going to be the stage where every member, who made at least one post in the word game thread, will have a chance to win a prize (an Amazon Gift Card being the grand prize).

Thank you all and don't forget to make at least one post in the word game thread in order to be able to enter the lottery!

message 2: by Art, Stay home, stay safe. (last edited Aug 28, 2018 12:27PM) (new)

Art | 2546 comments Mod
Members eligible for the eventual prize givaway:

Allan
Antti
Atlanta
Ed
Jeff
Kateblue
Oleksandr
Robin
Sara
Steve

Still almost 50 entries to go, make sure you join our Word Association Game in order to be able to win an Amazon Gift Card.

message 3: by Bryan, Village Idiot (new)

Bryan | 480 comments Mod
Congratulations everyone for completing the 100 word association!

For the second part of the prize, only those who are mentioned in the previous post can entire. We are going to do another pick a number, but this time it is going to be between 1 to 100. Same rules as before, Art or I will use a random number generator and the 3 people who are closest to those numbers will be our winners!

Prizes:
1st: $15 amazon gift card
2nd: $10 amazon gift card
3rd: 3 ENCs

We will run the generator after all nine of you have posted your number!

message 4: by Oleksandr, a.k.a. Acorn (new)

Oleksandr Zholud | 3991 comments Mod
2 again

message 5: by Robin (new)

Robin Witte | 30 comments 16!

message 6: by Atl (new)

Atl (dark_leo) | 115 comments :( I didn’t know the game was for a prize :(

message 7: by Art, Stay home, stay safe. (new)

Art | 2546 comments Mod
Atlanta wrote: ":( I didn’t know the game was for a prize :("

Feel free to post in the word game thread and I'll add you to the list in no time. There's still time to enter the giveaway.

message 8: by Atl (new)

Atl (dark_leo) | 115 comments Ok! :)

message 9: by Kateblue, 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning (new)

Kateblue | 4070 comments Mod

message 10: by Atl (new)

Atl (dark_leo) | 115 comments 77

message 11: by Ed (new)

Ed Erwin | 722 comments 1

message 12: by Jeff (new)

Jeff F Thanks for having me. It was fun!
Anybody want to keep it going? Like "The Never-Ending Story," we could have a "Never-Ending Thread."

message 13: by Art, Stay home, stay safe. (new)

Art | 2546 comments Mod
Sounds like an idea to me, we could change themes now and then to keep the fun going.

We are still waiting for Antti, Allan and Sara to throw their numbers into the hat, but there's no particular rush as we haven't set the date or anything.

In a ny case, thanks to all of you who participated.

message 14: by Antti (new)

Antti Värtö (andekn) | 850 comments Mod

message 15: by Allan (new)

Allan Phillips | 2353 comments Mod
88 for me

message 16: by Bryan, Village Idiot (new)

Bryan | 480 comments Mod
I have everyone but Sara. Once we have it, we will do the generating!

message 17: by Sara (new)

Sara Salazar (sarabarbosa) | 2 comments 19

message 18: by Bryan, Village Idiot (new)

Bryan | 480 comments Mod
Awesome-sauce. We have everyone and their number!
I'm used this online dice roller. I rolled a 100 sided dice one at a time, to give more randomness.

It Generated:

I have everyone's number and the amount away from the closest to their number:
Ed.....................1 - 9 = 8
Oleksandr.......2 - 9 = 7
Robin...............16 - 9 = 7
Sara..................19 - 9 = 10
Antti.................23 - 9 = 14
Kateblue..........37 - 51 = 14
Steve................42 - 51 = 9
Jeff...................59 - 51 = 8
Atlanta.............77 - 75 = 2
Allan.................88 - 75 = 13

Looks like we have Atlanta as our 1st prize winner!! Atlanta, PM me your email address and I'll get the $15 gift card to you.

Oleksandr and Robin, my initial thought was to use that same website to "flip a coin" and just assigning one of you as heads and the other as tails to see who is 2nd and 3rd place. But that doesn't feel right to me. What sounds fair to you?

message 19: by Oleksandr, a.k.a. Acorn (new)

Oleksandr Zholud | 3991 comments Mod
I agree to pass the 2nd place. There will be other prizes one day :)

message 20: by Bryan, Village Idiot (new)

Bryan | 480 comments Mod
Oleksandr wrote: "I agree to pass the 2nd place. There will be other prizes one day :)"

There will be indeed!

Then that puts Robin in 2nd place!! Robin, PM me your email address and I'll send your $10 gift card.

Oleksandr is our 3rd prize winner!! He now have 3 ENCs!

message 21: by Art, Stay home, stay safe. (new)

Art | 2546 comments Mod
Congratulations everyone!

I will update our ENC holder list.

message 22: by Jeff (new)

Jeff F Bryan wrote: "Awesome-sauce. We have everyone and their number!
I'm used this online dice roller. I rolled a 100 sided dice one at a time, to give more randomness.

It Generated:

I have everyone's numb..."

Congratulations to our winners!

message 23: by Jeff (new)

Jeff F Oleksandr wrote: "I agree to pass the 2nd place. There will be other prizes one day :)"

I salute your gamesmanship, sir.

message 24: by Jeff (last edited Aug 30, 2018 06:31PM) (new)

Jeff F Steve, even though you didn't win, I'd like to give you recognition for choosing 42. It's what I would have picked if you hadn't got there first. After all, how can one not appreciate someone who knows the answer to Life, The Universe, and Everything? :)

message 25: by Atl (new)

Atl (dark_leo) | 115 comments Wow!!!! Yay! It’s the 12th anniversary of my dissolution so this is indeed a special day.

message 26: by Kateblue, 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning (new)

Kateblue | 4070 comments Mod
Wow, Atlanta, I hope you mean you are divorced as opposed to being in a gaseous state for the last 12 years . . . (this is an SF reading group after all) It reminds me of the mom in "The Almighty Johnsons" who just decided to go and be a tree for a while.

:-)

message 27: by Atl (new)

Atl (dark_leo) | 115 comments Hahaha yes I mean divorced, at any rate, I appreciate having something to mark this day as reading is a part of getting back to myself!

message 28: by Robin (last edited Aug 31, 2018 12:47PM) (new)

Robin Witte | 30 comments Thanks for the bump up, Oleksandr! I'm sure you'll put those 3 ENCs you good use.
I love this group, so it's great celebrate great conversations and books together!

message 29: by Allan (new)

My first marriage ended in dissolution as well. I should have known.....our wedding date, June 18, is also the anniversary of the Battle of Waterloo. Our divorce was delayed for almost a year because our judge died. As it turned out, the divorce was finalized on Halloween!

message 30: by Atl (new)

Atl (dark_leo) | 115 comments How long between marriages?

Brian, I messaged you, I didn’t get a reply yet.

message 31: by Allan (new)

Only a year between marriages, but we were separated and I was dating well before the divorce was final. Long story; suffice to say that she had issues and I wound up a single parent. 2nd marriage 23 years and counting!

message 32: by Atl (new)

Atl (dark_leo) | 115 comments Wow, I Waited 7 years between my first marriage and my second engagement but that one ended 3 years ago and I’ve been single ever since.

message 33: by Art, Stay home, stay safe. (new)

Art | 2546 comments Mod
Atlanta wrote: "How long between marriages?

Brian, I messaged you, I didn’t get a reply yet."

It's most likely that he'll reply you on Monday, weekends are pretty engaging for him.

message 34: by Atl (new)

Atl (dark_leo) | 115 comments I messaged him yesterday, not today. Why would they be engaging for him?

message 35: by Allan (new)

I was a single dad with custody of my 7-year-old son. I've never been so popular in my life. But I was lucky to truly meet the love of my life.

message 36: by Atl (new)

Atl (dark_leo) | 115 comments Congratulations Alan

message 37: by Bryan, Village Idiot (new)

Bryan | 480 comments Mod
Congrats again to all the winners. Man, I really love reading everyone's comments!

I know Robin got her gift card. Atlanta, I wasn't able to message you back, but I sent both gift cards on the 1st. Did you get yours?

message 38: by Atl (new)

Atl (dark_leo) | 115 comments Bryan I got an email

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.