Ultimate Popsugar Reading Challenge discussion

2018 Weekly Checkins > Week 33: 8/9 - 8/16

Comments Showing 1-50 of 144 (144 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Nadine in NY (new)

Nadine in NY Jones | 6885 comments Mod
It's mid-August! Here in NY the goldenrod is blooming, the farmers markets are full of zucchini and eggplant, the days are still muggy and warm, but soon the first leaves will change color. I've made my peace with our long winters, but August still makes me a little bit sad because it feels like an ending.

Admin stuff:

I've got nothing! No admin stuff!!

This week I finished 2 books, none for this Challenge, so I remain 49/50.

Spinning Silver by Naomi Novik - inspired by old fairytales, but not exactly a retelling, this story was rich in compelling characters, but ultimately rather unsatisfying.

Bonfire by Krysten Ritter - this was ok.

Question of the Week:

What are your reading stats for Most Read Author? (This question is from Teri, a spinoff from our other discussion of reading stats)

My stats are skewed, because (a) some of these reflect titles I read long ago, and added to GR later, but maybe I don't read much today, and (b) some of these are comic book authors. And of course a list like this favors authors who write series, and tends to exclude new authors who just haven't published much yet.

Authors that I've read 15 or more "books":

Neil Gaiman - 38
Gene Wolfe - 28
Charlaine Harris - 24
Sue Grafton - 22
Janet Evanovich - 21
Sheri S. Tepper - 16
Lauren Willig - 15
Brian Vaughan - 15

And most of these authors are NOT authors I've read in the last two years! (Exceptions: Gaiman, Willig, Vaughan)

message 2: by El (new)

El | 195 comments I didn't check in the last two weeks. This week I only finished one book:

Crazy Rich Asians by Kevin Kwan

Currently reading:
Dark Places
It - Will take time to finish this.
One Plus One

QOTW:
My most read authors are:
1) Agatha Christie - 69 (Not including the 6 she wrote under the pseudonym of Mary Westmacott
2) P.G. Wodehouse - 30
3) J.K. Rowling - 12 (Not including the 3 Robert Galbraith books)
4) Franklin W. Dixon - 10 (I'm sure I've read a few more but I only remember the ones I've added here on GR.)
5) Madeleine Brent - 9

message 3: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (patchworkbunny) | 1254 comments This week the British summer has returned to normal; dark grey and wet! Actually it's perfect reading weather as I don't feel inclined to be making the most of the sunshine like the last two months.

I finished Affinity for bestseller from the year I graduated high school. This was one of the prompts I liked the least so I'm glad it's over and done with. It's not the best of Sarah Waters' books but I liked the detail about life in a Victorian prison and it does have a gothic feel. It's not the kind of book I would have read in 1999.

I also read Paper and Fire for a book involving a bookstore or library. This wasn't as good as the first in the series but enjoyable enough.

I'm currently reading Time's Convert for review. I'm not sure if this one will have time travel in, but I do have two other books lined up for that prompt anyway.

I started reading Gods, Monsters, and the Lucky Peach for my lunch time read and I'm using for fruit or vegetable in the title (although it also has time travel in it).

And I'm listening to Death on the Nile for a book that is also a stage play.

37/50 | 76/100

QOTW:
My most read authors don't really reflect my current reading habits and they are mostly series writers. I haven't picked up a Laurell K Hamilton or Jill Mansell book in years.

Terry Pratchett (44)
Kelley Armstrong (34)
Charlaine Harris (25)
Seanan McGuire (incl. Mira Grant) (19)
Karin Slaughter (18)
Tess Gerritsen (18)
Laurell K. Hamilton (17)
Jill Mansell (15)
Rachel Caine (15)

message 4: by Dani (new)

Dani Weyand | 299 comments Hello from Columbus! Yesterday was my daughter’s first day of middle school and I feel like I instantly aged ten years.

The Odyssey for the adventure prompt of the good reads summer challenge. My first time actually reading (listening) but the mini series with Vanessa Williams was my jaaaam growing up. Reading Circe had me wanting to revisit the original story. If you’re wanting the audiobook, maybe skip the one Ian McKellen narrates because he does this whistling sound a lot when he talks and it got really distracting lol.

Baby Teeth oh man, this book was kind of insane. Essentially this book is told from the perspective of a 7 year old psychopath and her mom. As someone who was a developmental psychologist, I found a lot of the perspective of the child kind of hard to believe. But as a mom I found it really nightmarish and I ended up finishing this in a day because I didn’t think I could sleep not knowing what would happen. Evil children is one of those things that really freaks me out. Overall I really enjoyed this book and am REALLY happy my kids don’t feel murderous hate toward me.

Since You've Been Gone this worked for the road trip prompt, kind of. The road trip happened in the last few chapters but I’ll take it. I grabbed this book from one of those “take a book leave a book” baskets at a cafe I go to when my son is in school. It had a pretty cover and idk I just love teen novels. It’s about a girl following a summer to-do list her best friend mailed her a few weeks after she suddenly moved away without any warning or goodbyes. It was super sweet and pretty nostalgic. I guess I’m one of those weird people who really loved high school and the adventures I had as a teen.

QOTW:
JK Rowling would be my number one if you also count her books published under character names and pseudonym. E Lockhart, Ann Patchett, Neil Gaiman, Alan Bradley.

message 5: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sezziy) | 894 comments Is there a quick way to look at how many books you've read for each author?

message 6: by Sara (last edited Aug 16, 2018 05:19AM) (new)

Sara | 1508 comments Good morning! It's the first week of school here so it has been busy, busy, busy! I'm lucky if I get to read a couple pages per day.

Finished:

Vinegar Girl by Anne Tyler - part of the Hogarth Shakespeare project. It's a retelling of The Taming of the Shrew. It was an interesting take on the story, but the characters were not well developed and the ending was wrapped up too quick. It was my first Anne Tyler book so now I'm wondering if I should try something else by her. ETA: I'm using this for a book that is also a stage play.

Black Beauty Kindle in Motion : The Autobiography of a Horse by Anna Sewell. This was a reread for me, and it's just as sad and depressing as I remember. It does end well, but Anna Sewell did a really nice job of illustrating the poor treatment of horses (and people) in Victorian England. I told my daughter, the horse lover, this was not a book for her. Her poor little heart couldn't take it. Having said that, I think it's an incredibly important book. Reading the story from the horse's perspective should give anyone with a heart a better understanding of the importance of treating animals well. The audio narration with James Langton was very well done.

Currently reading:

A Court of Frost and Starlight by Sarah J. Maas. Continuing the series that has swept me away this year. I have never really considered myself a big fantasy reader, but this series has stolen my heart!

I just downloaded a few audiobooks from the library, but I haven't started one yet. We'll see what sticks.

36/50

QOTW

So the last time I checked this I was dismayed to see my favorite author (Diana Gabaldon) tied with Nora Roberts for the top spot. Nothing against Nora Roberts - I don't really consider myself a Nora Roberts fan, but I have read (and enjoyed) several of her series so that adds a lot of books onto the list.

Just a few weeks ago I read Diana Gabaldon's novella collection which pushed her above Nora Roberts finally! Woohoo!

Top authors
Diana Gabaldon (14)
Nora Roberts (13)
Deanna Raybourn (11)
Louise Penny (10)
JK Rowling (9)
Kiera Cass (8)
Jenny Colgan (8)
Kristin Hannah (8)

message 7: by Sara (new)

Sara | 1508 comments Sarah wrote: "Is there a quick way to look at how many books you've read for each author?"

Sarah, if you go to "My Books" you'll see an option on the left-hand side for "most-read authors". You'll need to do this is a browser.

message 8: by Jess (new)

Jess Penhallow | 427 comments I'm back from an amazing wedding in Valencia where I cried a lot to grey London. I am currently on 32/50 and feeling confident about completing this challenge.

Completed
The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern. I read this for the group read and fulfil the twins prompt. It was beautifully written but I found the plot and the characters to be weak. I can see why a lot of people love this book but it wasn't for me. I probably should have stuck with my instinct when I DNF'd 4 years ago!

Currently reading
The Book Thief, this is another book that's been on my TBR for ages. I am loving it so far! This will fulfil the best seller from the year I left school prompt.
Margaret the First - A fun short historical novel. Not sure if it will fit any prompts as I've already filled the 'based on a real person' prompt.

QOTW
My top five are as follows
J.K. Rowling - 8
Lesley Pearse - 8
Gregory Maguire - 7
Maurice Druon - 6
George R.R. Martin - 6

It's interesting that barring J.K. Rowling (and those were rereads) these are all authors that I read quite a long time ago. I used to stick to a lot of the same authors but now I would much rather read broadly. This may be due to Lesley Pearse burnout!

message 9: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sezziy) | 894 comments Sara wrote: "Sarah wrote: "Is there a quick way to look at how many books you've read for each author?"

Sarah, if you go to "My Books" you'll see an option on the left-hand side for "most-read authors". You'll..."

Thanks Sara!

message 10: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (patchworkbunny) | 1254 comments Jess wrote: "It's interesting that barring J.K. Rowling (and those were rereads) these are all authors that I read quite a long time ago. I used to stick to a lot of the same authors but now I would much rather read broadly. This may be due to Lesley Pearse burnout!"

Yes this, in the past once I found an author I liked, I would seek out all their books and binge. Now that I spend so much time in bookish social media circles, I am constantly hearing about new authors so spread my reading around more.

message 11: by Katy (new)

Katy M | 779 comments I finished Trick or Treat: A History of Halloween for my book about Halloween. It was a fairly quick, interesting read.

I read Saving Babe Ruth for my book about sports. Awful. Just awful. It had a few saving graces with some introspection about baseball as related to small town life, but otherwise, ugh.

And I just started Catch-22 as my book mentioned in another book. I think it was Camino Island, but I'm not sure. I started a list at the beginning of the year, but then I lost it. Iknow this book was on the list, though.

QOTW: John Grisham: 8
Morgan Llewellyn: 6
CJ Sansom: 6
George RR Martin: 5
Sharon Kay penman: 5

I've only been on Goodreads 3 or 4 years. I tend to read a variety, so don't have too many authors where I've read bunches. I have read all of Dickens' novels, but only 3 since joining Goodreads. I've also read most of Michener's novels, but again, only 2 in the last few years.

message 12: by Kenya (last edited Aug 16, 2018 06:16AM) (new)

Kenya Starflight | 743 comments Exhausting week at work. I won't bore people with the details... I'm just glad I've got a day off coming up tomorrow.

Finished two books this week:

Across the Wall: A Tale of the Abhorsen and Other Stories -- I really have been reading a lot of short story collections. I mostly read this one for the novella "Nicholas Sayre and the Creature In the Case," a follow-up to Abhorsen, though most of the rest of the stories were enjoyable.

The Scarecrow Princess -- graphic novel. The premise was interesting, but it was badly executed... and I HATED the fact that the author used the story to sexualize a 14-year-old girl. Blrgh.

DNF:

Beauty and the Clockwork Beast -- maybe my standards for steampunk are just too high after binge-reading "Parasol Protectorate," but this was just bland and "meh."

Circe -- so many people are raving over this one, but I quit reading early on. Reading about a child being bullied and insulted by her own family, even if they are gods and immortals, was hard to stomach.

Currently Reading:

The Future is Blue -- ANOTHER short story collection. Should finish this today.
The Secret Life of Bees -- for a book club
And someday I WILL finish this H. P. Lovecraft collection...

QOTW:

According to Goodreads, the top 10 authors are as follows:

Catherynne M. Valente -- 14
Gail Carriger -- 12
Jeff Smith -- 11
Ursula Vernon -- 11
J.K. Rowling -- 10
Jessica Day George -- 9
Ray Bradbury -- 9
Cherie Priest -- 9
Jason -- 8
Ursula K. Le Guin -- 8

I know for a fact this count is off, seeing as I've only been using Goodreads for a few years. I binge-read a LOT of Anne McCaffrey and Piers Anthony in my high school years, though I haven't revisited either author in awhile...

message 13: by Heather (new)

Heather (heatherbowman) | 722 comments This has not been a really great reading week for me. I DNFed two books, which always makes me sad, and I haven't decided what I want to read next.

Finished
What Alice Forgot - I really enjoyed this book. Liane Moriarty writes great characters. After I finished this one, I bought The Husband's Secret to take on vacation next week.

DNF
Cat's Eye - I gave Margaret Atwood a second chance, but her writing style is not for me.

The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo - I didn't like it after 100 pages, so I returned it to the library.

QOTW
My most read authors is skewed because I've added every book I can ever remember reading, which includes 42 Babysitters Club books!

Ann M Martin - 42
Tamora Pierce - 19
Anne Rice - 17
Lemony Snicket - 13
JK Rowling - 11 (+2 Robert Galbraith novels)

My most read non-series authors, all tied at 6 books each, are: Sarah Addison Allen, Cecelia Ahern, and Neil Gaiman.

message 14: by Sarah (last edited Aug 16, 2018 06:20AM) (new)

Sarah (sezziy) | 894 comments Hi everyone. I'm on aunty duty today so I've been baking cupcakes, doing jigsaws and watching Thomas the Tank Engine on repeat all day. Now he's having a nap and I think I need one too! Can't believe my little nephew starts school in September!

This week I made up for last weeks no finishes with three books finished this week. First up was White Fang. I had meant to read The Call of the Wild but had them muddled up in my head. Luckily I could still fit it into a prompt.

Then I finished The Mermaid. I'm obsessed with sea creatures and The Greatest Showman so this book was practically made for me! It was interesting to see a darker (and probably more realistic) portrayal of P T Barnum than the musical too.

Finally I read Spinning Silver. I had high hopes for this book because I loved Uprooted and I'm making my way through the Temeraire books. It was a good read, but not great. There are multiple points of view and I found myself waiting for the side characters of Wanda, Stepon and the tsar to come back around rather than the main characters of Irina and Miryem.
Look at that cover though!
Spinning Silver by Naomi Novik

Currently reading: Nothing! I only finished Spinning Silver the early hours of this morning and I have been too busy today to pick up a new book. I'm torn between a library book which doesn't fit a prompt or a book I own which will fit a prompt.

QOTW: I am one of those weird people who tries to remember all the books I read as a kid so unsurprisingly, most of mine are children's authors.

Roald Dahl 18
L.M. Montgomery 15
John Marsden 13
Philip Pullman 12
Judy Blume10
Noel Streatfeild 10
Arthur Conan Doyle 10

message 15: by Kenya (new)

Kenya Starflight | 743 comments Whoops! Somehow neglected to include the "Harry Potter" books in my "Read Books" list. Gone back and edited. (I should go add all the "Dragonriders of Pern" and "Xanth" books I've read too, though in a lot of cases I can't remember if I've read certain ones or not...)

message 16: by Heather (new)

Heather (heathergrace) | 94 comments Good morning! I just got back from a weekend at the beach and some reading happened...

Finished:
A Duke by Default (snatched from the library holds shelf the second it came in). SO GOOD. Alyssa Cole is killing it.

Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day for a book made into a movie I've already seen. This was perfectly charming (except for a few jarring instances of casual pre-WWII British racism... it's from 1938) and made me want to revisit the movie.

Currently reading:
A Scandalous Deal and I don't remember why... I picked it up from the library for some reason but the hero is VERY SEXIST and it's going to take one hell of an epiphany/some groveling for me to like him by the end.

First Impressions: A Novel of Old Books, Unexpected Love, and Jane Austen which I may use as a past Goodreads Choice winner.

QOTW: No surprise my most read authors are romance because I am most likely to have read series. There are also CLEARLY missing items because right away JK Rowling isn't toward the top and I've read at least seven of hers...
Tessa Dare - 11
Lauren Layne - 8
Jane Austen - 7 (...which does not add up, probably different editions not merged)
Sarah Morgan - 6
Hester Browne - 6
Jill Shalvis - 6
Sarah Mayberry - 6
Cecelia Ahern - 6

message 17: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sezziy) | 894 comments Heather wrote: "Good morning! I just got back from a weekend at the beach and some reading happened...

Finished:
A Duke by Default (snatched from the library holds shelf the second it came in). SO..."

I weirdly have seven for Jane Austen too. Maybe there's a "complete works of Jane Austen" or something similar.

message 18: by Chrissy (new)

Chrissy | 369 comments I finished 2 books for AtY this week, and both were just ok: The Bone People and The Plot Against America.

QOTW: according to GR, my most-read authors are Ruth Rendell/Barbara Vine (11), Neal Stephenson (9) and Marissa Meyer (7). Maeve Binchey should be up there too, I’ve read every one of her books, and probably also Andrea Camillieri. I didn’t keep records till pretty recently.

message 19: by SarahKat (new)

SarahKat | 163 comments Hello all! I finished 2 books this week. Neither for the challenge.

Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard. Review: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis- aloud to my kid

Working On:
Voyager by Diana Gabaldon still. Almost done!
The Carnivorous Carnival by Lemony Snicket- audio with son
The Black Tulip by Alexandre Dumas- audio
The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August by Claire North- for prompt from a previous year (2015: Number in title)

QOTW:

According to Goodreads:

1. Neil Gaiman 20
2. Lemony Snicket 13
3. J.K. Rowling 10
4. Grant Morrison 8
5. Scott Snyder 7

So basically, series.

message 20: by Jen (new)

Jen (jentrewren) | 777 comments Greetings and salutations.
Another busy week. Titration comp with the Chem students and the 11 into 12 parents information evening pre subject selection for 2019. Waiting on the comp results now so fingers crossed for the fab 7 who gave up their evening to do chemistry till 6pm.

Quite a good reading week despite being busy.

finished:
A book tied to your ancestry Darlingest Milverton in the War by Elizabeth McDowell https://www.goodreads.com/review/show... which I was raving about at the last check in. Unfortunately the last 3rd was less unique and more about the war stuff which I am not keen on reading (people getting dead).
A book by a local author Left for Dead: How I Survived 71 Days in the Outback by Ricky Megee, Greg McLean https://www.goodreads.com/review/show... which was a pleasant surprise. It was really fast paced and certainly an amazing story. Bloke was robbed and buried alive with no shoes and left to wander the outback (sort of) for 71 days before he was found. Lots of swearing in it but that didn't bother me too much as the situation excused it if anything can. The start is the weakest part in my opinion.

Currently reading Truly Devious and lots of assignments.

QOTW
I haven't recorded any of the kids books I read as a kid on GR only the ones I have reread since joining GR.
My top 10 authors on GR are:
Stephen King (72 + 6 as Richard Bachman)
Dean Koontz (54 + 4 as Dean R. Koontz)
Darren Shan (20)
Matthew Reilly (16)
John Marsden (16)
Rick Riordan (15)
James Patterson (11)
Pittacus Lore (11)
Michael Grant (11)
Isobelle Carmody (9)

This was pretty shocking as the top two are so far ahead of the others and I have been reading a more varied selection over the last 6 years or so (since I discovered GR and some students introduced me to Marsden, Riordan, Shan, Carmody, Grant and Lore). More shocking was that there was only one woman in the top 10. I know I hate romance stuff but not all women write that. Obernewtyn series is amazing though so not that surprised that Carmody was the top woman.

message 21: by SarahKat (new)

SarahKat | 163 comments Sarah wrote: "Hi everyone. I'm on aunty duty today so I've been baking cupcakes, doing jigsaws and watching Thomas the Tank Engine on repeat all day. Now he's having a nap and I think I need one too! Can't belie..."

I try to remember ones I've read as a kid too! You reminded me that I've never gone to Dahl's page and clicked all the books of his I've read. After doing that, he is tied with Rowling for third place at 10 books.

message 22: by Carol (new)

Carol Roote | 116 comments Hello:

I didn't check in last week, because I was traveling. I also didn't read very much in the last two weeks, because I was sightseeing.

Update:
Regular: 34/50
Advanced: 4/10

Finished in the last two weeks:

Americanah Love this book! 5/5. I was rereading it for a RL book club for the second time and loved it just as much.

All American Boys Enjoyed this book; 4/5 It's about a black teenager beat up by a white cop and alternates perspective between the black teenager that was beat up and the white teenager who was there. I listened to it on audio, which was fabulous, but I didn't like it quite as much as The Hate U Give Read this for #18, a book by two authors

Currently Reading:

The Silkworm for
#11. A book with a female author who uses a male pseudonym

Hillbilly Elegy: A Memoir of a Family and Culture in Crisis for a RL book club

Where the Heart Is also for a RL book club

QOTW:

My results are also skewed. I went through a period many years ago where I read everything Mary Stewart had written, so she is my most-read, but I haven't read any of her books in years. It's the same with Nevada Barr. I got tired of her after a while and stopped reading her mysteries. James Patterson is not one of my favorite authors, but I seem to have read a lot of his too.

Mary Stewart 17
Nevada Barr 14
Neil Gaiman 12 (8 of which are comics)
James Patterson 9
J K Rowling 8 (nearly all she's written)
Barbara Kingsolver 8 (nearly all she's written)
Philip Gulley 7
Louise Penny 7
Kate Morton 5 (all she's written)
Anne Tyler 5

message 23: by Sheri (new)

Sheri | 793 comments Hi everyone!

It's rainy here today, leaving me wishing for sunshine. I'm solar powered, I swear!

This week I finished:
Kushiel's Chosen - ATY's seven deadly sins prompt. I kinda stretched with this, because frankly I am ready to start reading books just because I want to read them haha. I always try to finish my challenges as far as possible because while I like to be stretched, I also like reading what I want to read, when I want to read it. The main character is a courtesan which deals with lust, and there was treason for the sake of pride and greed, and the wrath of a goddess, so I'm counting it.

iZombie, Vol. 1: Dead to the World - Almost forgot i'd checked this out on hoopla, still kind of new to using that part of the service. It was alright, way different from the show. Enjoyable enough that I grabbed vol 2

Currently reading:

Reading a pile, considering two of them are pretty challenging reads for me.

The Mysteries of Udolpho - ATY's gothic novel. It's long and the language is very winding. Can only stand to read a little at a time, especially since I could only get a libby version so am reading on my phone, not my kindle.

Not That Bad: Dispatches from Rape Culture - Read Harder's book of essays. This one I can only read a little bit at a time, just because it's hard to read. I waffled on weather I should put myself through reading it, but I feel like it's important to see people's stories, even the traumatic ones.

iZombie, Vol. 2: uVampire - Need something to break up the other two books, so continuing with this series.

We Have Always Lived in the Castle - listening to the audio book, counting it for ATY's book that scares of intimidates me. I don't really want to read anything too horror, and I don't want to read a big meaty tome this late in the year (unless it's one I want to read, in which case it's not intimidating). It's supposed to be really creepy, so I'm counting that as close enough.

QOTW:
my top five are:
Mercedes Lackey - 89 books
Piers Anthony - 53 books
Anne McCaffrey - 48 books
Laurell K. Hamilton - 35 books
Neil Gaiman - 31 books

Like many, it's authors who have multiple series where I've read most of them, and the top three are the main authors I read in high school where I stuck to specific authors because it was kind of overwhelming to make selections otherwise. I wasn't really using the library at that time (Don't ask me why, i got out out of the habit for a while). I still love Mercedes Lackey, but I haven't loved her more recent works so I don't just grab them up anymore. But I still re-read her often when I just need a break.

Piers Anthony I loved when I was younger, but as I got older, I'm less comfortable with some of the stuff I didn't really notice as a kid. I haven't kept up with him at all recently.

I'm with many people with Laurell K hamilton too, I read her tons as I was younger, but the more Anita Blake went on, the less I liked it. I saw the most recent one at the library and read the synopsis..it just sounded so bad I didn't even consider checking it out.

Anne McCaffery will always have a special place in my heart, being my gateway into sci fi.

And Gaiman is Gaiman <3

message 24: by Rochelle (new)

Rochelle (r_y_feig) | 9 comments Greetings from NYC. The past week its either been raining (a few flash flood warnings) or sweltering, which meant lots of time to read.

Books I Finished:
The Fifth To Die by JD Barker (not for challenge). This was ok- it is the sequel to The Fourth Monkey which I thought was much more of a page turner. Fifth to Die ends a bit too abruptly for me (although the book itself clocks in at over 400 pages).

The King Tides by James Swain (not for challenge). This was a quick read- I'd suggest if it you need a beach read, but I think Swain's previous books were more interesting.

I'll Be Your Blue Sky by Marisa de los Santos (for book with your favorite color in the title). Although this book doesn't have that many reviews (under 5k), I am definitely in the minority on liking this one (Goodreads has it at an average of 4 stars). The premise of the book was ok, but I thought the writing was a bit juvenile; the author's words didn't move me like Jodi Picoult and Kristin Hannah's works.

Last Christmas in Paris: A Novel of World War I by Hazel Gaynor and Heather Webb (not for challenge). I loved this book (the cover is also beautiful) which utilizes an epistolary format. I've never thought about this before, but it made me sad that at the beginning of WWI, almost everyone thought the war would be a quick one and soldiers would be home by Christmas. How tragic and dreadful that the war continued for 4 long years.

Saving Beck by Courtney Cole (not for challenge but could definitely work for a book about a problem facing society). Oh how I loved this book. I can't stop recommending it to people. This wasn't an easy book to read, and I feel like it would be especially difficult for parents, as it focuses on the devastating effects of drug addiction. Beck had just about everything going for him- a stable family, a girlfriend he adored, and on track for a college scholarship. One night tragedy strikes, and to cope, he turns to cigarettes, then marijuana, which leads to heroin use. What I especially loved about this book is the stellar job Cole did in bringing to light the fact that drug addiction can happen to anyone, regardless of race or class.

QOTW: I've read most of David Rosenfelt's books as they are quick, light, and easy. I tend to like them to balance out all the sadder books I tend to gravitate towards.

message 25: by Fannie (new)

Fannie D'Ascola | 418 comments Hello,

Back to work this week and the temperature is so beautiful.

I finished one book last week for the challenge: The Lies of Locke Lamora for the aliteration in the title. It took me 2 weeks to read it, but I gave 4 stars. I thought the character development was quite good. I will continue with the serie eventually.

I am now reading When Breath Becomes Air for the death prompt. Really, really good so far.

Firewall for my drive to work and back home. Altough I watched the serie with Kenneth Brannagh, it is my first Wallander book and I really like it so far. I guess it will work for nordic noir.

QOTW:
Stephen King (14)
Fabien Vehlmann (13)
Terry Goodkind (12)
Isaac Asimov (11)
Bernard Werber (10)
Robin Hobb (10)
Robert Jordan (9)
J.K. Rowling (9)
Daniel Pennac (8)

message 26: by Sara (last edited Aug 16, 2018 08:54AM) (new)

Sara | 1508 comments Rochelle wrote: "Last Christmas in Paris: A Novel of World War I by Hazel Gaynor and Heather Webb (not for challenge). I loved this book (the cover is also beautiful) which utilizes an epistolary format. I've never thought about this before, but it made me sad that at the beginning of WWI, almost everyone thought the war would be a quick one and soldiers would be home by Christmas. How tragic and dreadful that the war continued for 4 long years."

Oh, I loved this book! Despite the war backdrop it is a beautiful story. And you're right, it depicts how high the hopes were for a quick war and how things changed as the war dragged on. Definitely will be rereading this one in the future!

Also - for anyone interested, despite the title it isn't actually a Christmas book so feel free to read anytime!

message 27: by Anne (new)

Anne (annefullercoxnet) | 203 comments As of this week we are down to one child at home. He just started high school, so he is busy, but by the end of the night the three of us are kind of wandering around the house wondering where everybody has gone. We'll be used to this strange new dynamic soon, but for now it feels very odd.

I have gotten on a cozy mystery kick this week- I found a cozy challenge, not overwhelming, so I had to try. I thought I loved cozies but have decided I really just love certain authors (see below). I will get through the challenge though. I read:
Darling Dahlias and the Confederate Rose- meh.
Death By Cashmere- meh.
Daisies for Innocence- this one wasn't too bad and I might actually read another by this author.
Amal Unbound- not a cozy. This was for the youth reading committee I am on. It was a quick read about a girl who has to be a servant for the landlord of the village. It was decent. I don't think kiddos will love it, but I think some will like it.

QOTW: I have only kept track of my books through GR for a few years, and in those years I have been on the youth reading committee I was referring to. This means some of the authors weren't ones I would currently read the most on my own time. The fact that I have only been tracking on here for the last few years also means J.K. Rowling and M.M. Kaye (who would both have made the list) aren't on here.
Agatha Christie (18)
Beverly Cleary (8)
Georgette Heyer (8)
Alan Bradley (7)
Jane Yolen (7)
Gail Carson Levine (7)
Jeff Shaara (7)

Happy Reading!

message 28: by Brooke (new)

Brooke | 273 comments Hi everyone! It has been rainy for the last week, which has made for perfect reading weather.

I finally checked off a couple more prompts for Popsugar this week, so I’m now at 43/52 for the challenge. I'll check off at least 2 more next week, too. Getting closer!

Books I finished:
For Popsugar
Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson for a childhood classic I never read (33). This was fun and I can't wait to share it with my nephew.

New York Dead by Stuart Woods for a bestseller from the year I graduated high school (A1). The attitudes toward women and gay people in the book were awful, but unfortunately that is how I remember people thinking back in the late ‘80’s/early ‘90’s. The mystery was okay in a Mission Impossible or James Bond kind of way. Anyway, that prompt is done which makes me happy since it was one I was dreading.

For other challenges
The Death of Mrs. Westaway by Ruth Ware. This was creepy and, in my opinion, better than The Woman in Cabin 10. A young woman who is barely making it and is beholden to a loan shark gets a letter from an attorney saying she is mentioned in someone’s will. She gets to the estate and discovers she is to inherit the entire estate, cutting out the woman’s 3 sons, but why? That is the mystery, and things are revealed a little bit at a time. One of my friends told me the audio on this one is great, but I had a print copy.

Believe Me by J.P. Delaney. I listened to this on audio, but at times it was confusing so I wish I had a print copy to reference periodically. A young British woman works undercover with authorities in NY to determine if a professor she met is a serial killer. Or maybe the woman is the killer. There were parts I liked but the ending was rushed and a bit too unbelievable for me.

Every Single Secret by Emily Carpenter. This was another audio that got confusing, but I did have a print copy of this one thank goodness. A woman and her fiancé go on a retreat in the woods, but things aren't what they seem.

Silver Girl by Elin Hilderbrand. This was not my favorite by Hilderbrand. I didn't like either of the main characters and thought they whined and complained too much. The title comes from a lyric from Simon & Garfunkel's "Bridge Over Troubled Water" though, if anyone is still looking for something for that prompt.

I am currently reading:
Cinder by Marissa Meyer for a book recommended by someone else taking the Popsugar challenge (A10).
Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs for a book about time travel (23).
The Deep Dark Descending by Allen Eskins

QOTW: My stats aren’t complete, as I just started recording my books read 5 years ago and haven’t really gone back to add books I read before then. But this is what it shows now:
Janet Evanovich – 17
Charlaine Harris – 15
Sandra Brown – 10
Lisa Lutz – 8
Michael Connelly – 8
Dennis Lehane – 8
If I went back to add books I’ve raead prior to 2013, Patricia Cornwell and Agatha Christie would be on the list, and Harlan Coben would show more titles read.

message 29: by Nadine in NY (new)

I've never read anything by Elin Hilderbrand, but I see her mentioned a lot so I might try one. I love the beachy covers. Which one book would you recommend? (They all seem to have equal ratings on GR.)

message 30: by Tara (new)

Tara Nichols (tarajoy90) | 167 comments Finished
The Very Worst Missionary: A Memoir or Whatever This was a quick read and I really enjoyed it. I follow Jamie on social media and I like her thoughtful, biting, foul-mouthed takes on some aspects of Christian and missionary culture. This book is her first, and it's her story from her upbringing to the present, and has a large focus on her family's time as missionaries in Costa Rica and how that changed her perspective on missions and on her purpose.

America Is Not the Heart I read this at the recommendation of the "Librarian Is In" podcast. It's the story of Filipino immigrants who come to live in the Bay area in the early 1990's. It was a bit of a slow read for me, but I did end up enjoying it, and felt like I had a peak into a culture and history that I know almost nothing about. If you're interested, be aware though that there is A LOT of sexual content in the book.

Currently Reading
The Sixth Extinction: An Unnatural History I'm reading this because I'm teaching a unit on endangered species this semester. The book is good, but super depressing.

The One-in-a-Million Boy A lot of the books I've finished lately haven't quite hit the mark for me, so I decided to pick this one up because it seems to be right in my sweet spot. I just love books about grumpy old people with complicated pasts and hearts of gold.

QOTW
I was surprised to see that C.S. Lewis was my top author. But I guess that's because I don't read many book series, but I have read all of the Chronicles of Narnia and a few of his other books. Here's my top nine authors:

C.S. Lewis (10)
Judy Blume (9)
Charles Dickens (8)
Fredrik Backman (7)
Anna Quindlen (7)
J.K. Rowling (7)
William Shakespeare (7)
Ann Brashares (5)
Wally Lamb (5)

message 31: by Brooke (last edited Aug 16, 2018 09:38AM) (new)

Brooke | 273 comments Nadine wrote: "I've never read anything by Elin Hilderbrand, but I see her mentioned a lot so I might try one. I love the beachy covers. Which one book would you recommend? (They all seem to have equal ratings on..."

I've read a few of her books with very mixed results. I liked The Castaways, The Identicalsand The Perfect Couple but didn't like The Rumor or Silver Girl. The Perfect Couple felt different than the other ones I read as it had a mystery element the others didn't. Nantucket can definitely be considered a character in her books. You learn a lot about the towns, beaches and customs of the island as well as the crowd that summers there. (I consider each book a reminder of why I am more of a west coast girl and could never make it in the east coast scene. I am not polite enough - or pedigreed enough - for it. LOL)

I do like that many of her Nantucket books are somewhat tied together, with characters making appearances in multiple books (ex. Sheriff Ed is in several books). It isn't a series, though, so they can be read in any order. If you decide to read one, let me know what you think! Don't expect a literary masterpiece, but she is great with character development.

message 32: by Shannon (new)

Shannon I only finished one book this week.

All Systems Red- I picked this up based on the positive experiences of others in the group. I enjoyed this. I generally like the trope of robots/androids trying to understand humanity and the human experience.

QOTW- My top authors are mostly because of manga and YA series I’ve read.

Fuyumi Soryo (16)
Kelley Armstrong (15)
Takeshi Obata (13)
J.K. Rowling (12)
Margaret Campbell Barnes (11)
Matsuri Hino (9)
Marissa Meyer (9)
Rei Toma (8)
Kairi Yura (8)

message 33: by Nadine in NY (new)

Brooke wrote: "Nadine wrote: "I've never read anything by Elin Hilderbrand, but I see her mentioned a lot so I might try one. I love the beachy covers. Which one book would you recommend? (They all seem to have e..."

Thanks! I'll try one of those three books (maybe not until next year tho).

I consider each book a reminder of why I am more of a west coast girl and could never make it in the east coast scene. I am not polite enough - or pedigreed enough - for it. LOL

Hahahaha maybe Nantucket is pedigreed and polite, but I vacation every year on the NJ shore, and the new slogan there is: "WE DON'T LIKE YOU EITHER." (This may only be funny if you've grown up in NJ and are sick of hearing people trash your home state. I know I laughed when I saw it on a banner.)

message 34: by Brooke (new)

Brooke | 273 comments Nadine wrote: "Hahahaha maybe Nantucket is pedigreed and polite, but I vacation every year on the NJ shore...

Ha! Yeah, I can see how NJ is different and probably way more fun. I just can't deal with the blatant snobbery of Nantucket and the Hamptons. At least on the California beaches you'll find a bit of everything and no one asking what your dad does or bragging about your family lineage, etc. ;-)

message 35: by Teri (last edited Aug 16, 2018 10:39AM) (new)

Teri (teria) | 1316 comments I've not been feeling too well this week and am sleeping away much of my reading time. I finished an audiobook and read one book. Hopefully I can stay awake this week.

48. Microhistory - The Boys in the Boat: Nine Americans and Their Epic Quest for Gold at the 1936 Berlin Olympics by Daniel James Brown
I love all things Olympics, and I loved this book. What an amazing story! I listened to the audiobook, and Edward Hermann's voice was perfect.

Not for Challenge - Us Against You by Fredrik Backman
Another brilliant book by one of my favorite authors. I finished this last night and slept poorly because of the thoughts whirling through my head about humans and how awful and beautiful we are. Somehow the night ended with me dreaming about being friends with Josh Groban, so it turned out well. I'm still processing all that happened in this book, to be honest.

QOTW:
I was delighted when I discovered the "Most-read Authors" category on Goodreads. I love lists!

40 - John Grisham (still read anything he writes)
40 - Dick Francis (deceased; now read his son's books)
30 - Lilian Jackson Braun (deceased; Cat Who series)
26 - Sue Grafton (deceased; Kinsey Millhone series)
25 - Martha Grimes (Richard Jury series and others)
20 - Agatha Christie (deceased; slowing reading them all)
19 - Rick Riordan (Percy Jackson and other series)
18 - Louisa May Alcott (deceased)
17 - Diane Mott Davidson (Goldy Bear Culinary series)
16 - Brandon Mull (Fablehaven and other series)
15 - Gerald N Lund (Work and the Glory series and others)
14 - Tess Gerritsen (Rizzoli & Isles series and others)
14 - Stephanie Barron (Jane Austen mystery series)

I only have a complete list of books I've read since 1989 (when I became a neurotic list maker, apparently), and I've put them all into Goodreads. So who knows what I read in the 23 years I was reading prior to that.

So many series, so little time.

message 36: by Shannon (new)

Shannon After finishing All Systems Red I'm kind of in the mood for more short books/novellas. I'll give the rest of the Murderbot diaries a try. Does anyone have any other recommendations?

message 37: by Teri (new)

Teri (teria) | 1316 comments Sarah wrote: "I weirdly have seven for Jane Austen too. Maybe there's a "complete works of Jane Austen" or something similar. "

I have six novels, but I'm about to read her short books that weren't published until after her death (Lady Susan, The Watsons, Sanditon). So maybe you've read a volume containing those?

message 38: by Nadine in NY (new)

Shannon wrote: "After finishing All Systems Red I'm kind of in the mood for more short books/novellas. I'll give the rest of the Murderbot diaries a try. Does anyone have any other recommendations?"

Check out The Only Harmless Great Thing too.

message 39: by Tara (new)

Tara Nichols (tarajoy90) | 167 comments Teri wrote: "48. Microhistory - The Boys in the Boat: Nine Americans and Their Epic Quest for Gold at the 1936 Berlin Olympics by Daniel James Brown
I love all things Olympics, and I loved this book. What an amazing story! I listened to the audiobook, and Edward Hermann's voice was perfect."

The Boys in the Boat: Nine Americans and Their Epic Quest for Gold at the 1936 Berlin Olympics is my most favorite audiobook ever. So good. I accidentally cheered out loud a couple of time.

message 40: by Sheri (new)

Sheri | 793 comments Shannon,

I only read the first one but Binti was fantastic, and pretty short. I think the other two are pretty short, as well.

message 41: by Megan (last edited Aug 16, 2018 12:52PM) (new)

Megan (mghrt06) | 540 comments I finished Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda this was for LGBTQ+. I enjoyed it. The audio book was really good.

Finished Moxie for feminism. I was struggling with this category so much but then I saw someone reccomend this.

Current read is The Carrie Diaries for set in the decade you were born (I'm the 80's). I like the TV show so much better. If I have to read the name Donna LaDonna one more time on the page I might throw it out the window.

I'm at 28 regular, 6 advanced, and 11 non-challenge books.

QOTW
Nicholas Sparks 20
Colleen Hoover 16
J.K. Rowling 13
Cora Carmack 10
Marissa Meyer 9
Kiera Cass 9
Cassandra Clare 9
Jenny Han 9
Sophie Kinsella 7
P.C. Cast 7
Maggie Stiefvater 7

message 42: by Malaraa (last edited Aug 16, 2018 01:23PM) (new)

Malaraa Shannon wrote: "After finishing All Systems Red I'm kind of in the mood for more short books/novellas. I'll give the rest of the Murderbot diaries a try. Does anyone have any other recommendations?"

I'll second Binti. It wasn't as crazy good for me as for some people, but it was good.

Seanan McGuire has her Wayward Children series of novellasEvery Heart a Doorway, as well as a stand alone one, Dusk or Dark or Dawn or Day,

Gail Carriger does a few novellas too, but they're better as add-ons to the main series, rather than on their own.

Edit: Almost forgot, Ilona Andrews Innkeeper series! I think they were only novella length... Clean Sweep

Raquel (Silver Valkyrie Reads) | 895 comments I have three books left to complete the full challenge, with advanced prompts, and I'm currently reading two of them! The last one I have on hold at the library, but there's only one copy in the system, and that's a new book at a different library, so it will probably be at least a couple weeks before they're willing to send it to my library for me.

Also, all three of them are non-fiction, which I tend to get through a little more slowly than fiction, but also means I can now officially read whatever fiction I want with no pressure to make it fit in the challenge--I pretty much always have to have a fiction book going with my non-fiction. (I mean, I was pretty much doing that anyway, but more recently I started really pushing to try to finish the challenge.) So I finally checked Illuminae out of the library on a whim and will start that as soon as I finish the current fiction series I'm reading.

Finished Reading:
Artemis Listened to the audio book with my husband for the heist prompt. Loved it! Normally the amount of language in the book would make me uncomfortable, but for some reason, with this story and characters it made sense to me and hardly bothered me.

A Night Divided Someone on here mentioned this book, and I read it for time of day in the title because it looked interesting and I could get the e-book from my library immediately when I was looking for one. Really solid middle grade historical fiction.

Elon Musk: Tesla, SpaceX, and the Quest for a Fantastic Future Meh.

The Awakening I'm giving books in this series four stars because there's nothing special about them to make them stand out, but based on how much fun I'm having reading them, I should probably be giving them five stars. If you like YA supernatural/sci-fi/horrorish stuff it's probably worth your while.

A Step of Faith I haven't enjoyed the 3rd and 4th books as much as the first two in the series, but there's only one more to finish it off, and I want to see how it all wraps up.

Currently Reading:
Cooking with Scraps: Turn Your Peels, Cores, Rinds, and Stems into Delicious Meals SO close to just being done with this, but ignored it a couple of days because of having a headache and only wanting to read fun, distracting books.

The Black Count: Glory, Revolution, Betrayal, and the Real Count of Monte Cristo I'm reading this for the favorite color prompt, and so far I would say if you love books by Alexandre Dumas, this one is a must read. For me, some parts get a bit slow and dry, but overall the adventure and story make up for it (which is actually about how I feel about Dumas's novels, to be honest...).

My Russian Grandmother and Her American Vacuum Cleaner: A Family Memoir I'm still slowly working through this, but I'm letting it slip to the back burner for the most part so I can focus on finishing the challenge.

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone Listening to the audio book with my husband. It's been nearly a decade since I read Harry Potter, and my husband never did before this, so it's been a lot of fun. I'd forgotten how many funny parts are in the early part of this book.

Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking My current audio book, and my pick for the Goodreads Choice award prompt. Only a chapter or two in, and so far I just appreciate that she's emphasizing the need for all kinds of people, and not trying to put down extroverts in order to make her point about the strengths introverts have.

The Reckoning Third book in the YA series I'm reading.

QOTW:
My stats are accurate for the last few years. I'm one of those people who would theoretically go back and put in all the books I've read (and since I was homeschooled I could probably find my mother's lists of most/all the books I read as a teen), but never get around to actually entering them.

Yuto Tsukuda--22 books (manga series)

Orson Scott Card--15 books (multiple series and a couple stand alone books)

Melanie Cellier--11 books (fairy tale re-write series, plus several companion novellas and bonus chapters that goodreads counts seperately)

Suzanne Collins--8 books (Hunger Games series plus Gregor series)

Marissa Meyer--7 books (Lunar Chronicles with novellas plus Heartless, and I wish I'd just stuck with Lunar Chronicles...)

message 44: by Malaraa (last edited Aug 16, 2018 01:20PM) (new)

Malaraa This week (or week+, don't remember if I updated last week) I read Rogue Protocol (Murderbot #3), and Murder in Montparnasse.

Tried to push through https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3... enough for it to improve, and just couldn't keep on. This was another of the 9 books free from Amazon's World Book Day this spring, and the first of them I've had to just completely quit.

QOTW:

1 Seanan McGuire 42
2 Mercedes Lackey 34
3 Lilian Jackson Braun 25
4 Anne Perry 23
5 Raymond E. Feist 22
6 Janet Evanovich 21
7 Anne McCaffrey 20
8 Martha Wells 18
8 Kate Elliott 18
8 Jonathan Kellerman 18

But Seanan, Martha, and Kate are the only three still moving upward regularly on the list. I still love and re-read Mercedes Lackey and Raymond Feist, but haven't acquired anything new in a while.

These are a few below my top 10 names that are moving up steadily, and I anticipate them eventually passing some of the others. (but not Seanan, she writes All The Things) :)

Ilona Andrews 15
Kevin Hearne 13
Gail Carriger 12
Melissa F. Olson 11

Raquel (Silver Valkyrie Reads) | 895 comments El wrote: "I didn't check in the last two weeks. This week I only finished one book:

Crazy Rich Asians by Kevin Kwan

Currently reading:
Dark Places
[book:It|83..."

I'm slightly jealous of the fact that you've read 69 Agatha Christie books. Is that all the books she wrote? I don't actually know how many there are, but I remember as a teenager being afraid that someday I would read the last one and there wouldn't be any more new Agatha Christie ever... I haven't read them nearly as often in the last few years, but I've still enjoyed the few I've re-read.

message 46: by Theresa (new)

Theresa | 1870 comments Greetings from NYC where we are continuing with the usual hazy, hot and humid summer weather. I have one of my devices set to show me the weather in Big Sky, MT (vacation packing planning in 3 weeks!), and oh man oh man, do I like the weather there! So much more comfortable both temp and humidity! Haziness is worse due to the wildfires, but I'll take 2 out of 3!

I was able to slot one of the 3 finishes this week into 2018 Pop Sugar, bringing me to 35/40 and 10/10; 45/50. Only 5 more prompts to go and I have books for all of them!

Finishes:

Montana Sky - fit prompt with protagonist as villain or antihero although I was reading it because it was set in the area of Montana I will be visiting. That's the second book set in Montana that I picked up to read before vacationing there that has also managed to fit one of the few remaining prompts. Not one of Nora's better efforts - I liked the premise ok, setting and even the 3 sisters, but (view spoiler). Only gave it 2 stars.

China Rich Girlfriend - least favorite of the trilogy but still a fun read. I managed to slot this into 'bad review' prompt on the 2015 Pop Sugar Challenge I'm working on finishing.

Rich People Problems - liked this one a lot - loved the whole gathering of the clan around the dying matriarch and big reveal of the will. Slotted this in as 'book mum loves' on 2015 Pop Sugar Challenge - my mother never really read many books that I can remember (she passed away in 1979), so I'm using a book a friend of mine who is a mum loved.

Currently reading:

Gone Girl - This is my Past Good Reads Choice Winner for 2018 - almost half way and I'm not sure I like it. I feel really impatient as I read along, and while it's a really fast read and the writing is good, it's leaving me pretty indifferent.

QOTW: Well my stats for authors read the most are pretty meaningless for many of the same reasons others have said -- reflects only those I add as read which includes many from a long time ago, this kind of stat favors series writers, and I can cruise through a whole bunch of series romances and cozy mysteries in no time flat! That said, those authors where I have read more than 15 books, and all three have multiple series I have and continue to read:
Suzanne Brockmann - 19
Stephanie Laurens - 17
Marie Force - 15.

What does not appear here - I've read all of Charlotte MacLeod, Carolyn Hart, Agatha Christie, and quite a few other cozy writers, over many years, and almost none of those books are reflected on my GR shelves.

message 47: by Anabell (new)

Anabell | 354 comments Finally Thursday...
This week have gone by at snail speed. I can't wait for the weekend to begin.
I am at 46/52

It is a 2 week update as I forgot last week.

I finished:
The Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
The Lightning Thief
Heartbreaker
Wrong Turn, Right Direction
Mercy

Currently reading:
The Sea of Monsters
Women Who Run With the Wolves: Myths and Stories of the Wild Woman Archetype
Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch
The Substitute

QOTW: I had a huge romance reading period with no other genres and I love series... But it definitely doesn't show what I currently read as I try a lot of new genres and authors especially after joining Popsugar reading challenge.

1 Jill Shalvis 27
2 Bella Andre 25
3 Nora Roberts 22
4 Rachel Gibson 20
5 Hans Christian Andersen 14

message 48: by Christy (new)

Christy | 351 comments Hello everyone! I've had a lot of fun reading this week, though I haven't finished anything yet--the books I'm on have been pretty long. I'm at 34/52 currently, expecting to finish another book or two tonight.
Currently Reading:
Paladin of Souls. I'm loving this book! It's so nice to have the protagonist be a middle-aged person who has some perspective and wisdom. There's a much more stereotypical and boring story in there told from the perspective of a younger person, and I love that the author didn't go with that. I think I will read more Lori McMaster Bujold after this.
The Poisonwood Bible. This book is gorgeous, and a glorious takedown of colonial and missionary mentalities. I do think the book is a little hard on Rachel, though. Would she really be so devoid of nuance and empathy?

Next up: Snowblind for my Nordic noir novel. I'm hoping I enjoy Nordic noir more than I expect to--mysteries so frequently bore the pants right off me. But! I could be missing out of my new favorite genre, so I'll give it a try.

QOTW: Tamora Pierce (18)
Charlaine Harris (11)
Stephen King (11)
Lauren Willig (10)
Agatha Christie (8)
Tamora Pierce on the top is as it should be (<3), but I'm a little dissatisfied with my list overall. I tried to find any people of color, and the first author was all the way down at #28. LGBTQ representation is also abysmal. I am in the process of stepping up my game, but the list was a good reminder of why I'm trying to!

message 49: by Margaret (new)

Margaret (igem36) Just posting to answer the question of the week. Sorry it's so long, but it can take the space of all the books I didn't read in the last month. I wanted to include every author who appeared on my list -- I still love each of them, and want to read more of their work, if I ever finish Don Quixote and Hoover: An Extraordinary Life in Extraordinary Times

QOTW:

author books read
1 John McPhee 9
2 Dave Eggers 6
3 Jean Craighead George 5
3 Kurt Vonnegut 5
3 John Updike 5
3 Jack Kerouac 5
7 Douglas Adams 4
7 C.S. Lewis 4
9 Italo Calvino 3
9 Neil Gaiman 3
9 Hugh Howey 3
9 Lilian Jackson Braun 3
9 J.K. Rowling 3
9 Bill Walker 3
15 Lloyd Alexander 2
15 Jennifer Weiner 2
15 Wendell Berry 2
15 Rowan Jacobsen 2
15 Amy Tan 2
15 Annie Dillard 2
15 Elizabeth Madox Roberts 2
15 Michael Ondaatje 2
15 Holling Clancy Holling 2
15 Carolyn Jourdan 2
15 Jane Harper 2
15 Stephenie Meyer 2
15 Margaret Atwood 2
15 Herman Melville 2
15 Thomas Pynchon 2
15 Tom Robbins 2
15 Bill Bryson 2
15 Henry David Thoreau 2

message 50: by Stacey (last edited Aug 16, 2018 11:46PM) (new)

Stacey | 404 comments It’s Thursday already!? 😮

Currently at 40/52 on the PS challenge!

I had such grand plans for reading this past week and they crashed & burned!! 😆 Maybe this week will finally be the week I delve in to my TBR pile!

Last week, I stated that I was excited to finally get back to my reading after weeks of company/not being at home and then this week hit and a few things came up! I had a night out with some friends, my boyfriend had some time off that he wanted to spend together tackling a few projects and I had 2 friends in crisis this week so had some unexpected company! I’m glad I was able to spend time with friends/Jeff, get things off our to-do list and also glad I could be there as a friend when I was needed but am a little bit sad at my lack of reading!

Finished This Week

The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood for 13) A Book that is also a Stage play or Musical (it’s an Opera so I’m counting that as a type of musical). ⭐️⭐️⭐️ I liked it although found it was at times a bit hard to follow and wished it was longer! I wish it had of explained more about Gilead at the beginning and also feel like it ended at the climax of the story leaving the reader wondering what happened?!

I started watching the show and am enjoying it so far, nice to get a better perspective on what Gilead could have looked like and I imagine it will continue on past the events of the book which will make me happy!

Currently Reading

The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern (50% - trying not to read ahead of the discussion) for 8) Time of day in the title

Talking as Fast as I Can: From Gilmore Girls to Gilmore Girls by Lauren Graham for 35) A Past Goodreads choice award winner

QOTW

I just started tracking my books in 2018 on Goodreads so I can’t properly say how many books I’ve read by each author but here are the authors I have read 5 or more books by that come to mind right away:

Sophie Kinsella
Kiera Cass
Janette Oke
Jojo Moyes
J.K. Rowling
Lisa See
Lauren Brooke
C. S. Lewis
note to myself: apparently I need to read more male authors 😋

« previous 1 3