What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Adult Dystopian Future novel. British doctor takes his son on the road after birds fall from sky (due to environmental incident), calls his mother often to report where he is. His step?father has dementia. Read around 2010.

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Susan (new)

Susan (suse726) | 12 comments I read this book about 10 years ago. It's set sometime in the future and is about a British doctor, his mother, and his son. One day he observes birds falling from the sky. Some other odd things happen and he decides to take his son on the road. He calls his mother often to report on where he is. She provides narratives about his calls and about her husband, who has dementia. I think her husband is the doctor's stepfather. I can't recall how it ends. This was a chilling story and I'd love to read it again and look for other works by the author, whose name I don't remember. Any clues would be appreciated.

message 2: by Kate (new)

Kate Farrell | 4069 comments Mod
Susan ~~

You can "bump" this thread every 30 days or so. This moves the thread back to the head of the folder instead of languishing back here on page 30. More people will see it, and a solution is more likely. Good luck!

message 3: by Susan (new)

Susan (suse726) | 12 comments How do I bump this? Thanks.

Kate wrote: "Susan ~~

You can "bump" this thread every 30 days or so. This moves the thread back to the head of the folder instead of languishing back here on page 30. More people will see it, and a solution i..."

message 4: by Rosa (new)

Rosa (rosaiglarsh) | 5231 comments Just type any comment or the word "bump" into the box, and post it.

message 5: by Susan (new)

Susan (suse726) | 12 comments bump

message 6: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 21140 comments How old is the son?

Was it a dystopian type book?

Kinda reminds me of Census, but that's way too new.

message 7: by Kris (new)

Kris | 36605 comments Mod
Susan, is this book for adults or teens?

I added some details to the header/topic title. You can update it by clicking the small "edit" link after the header. This only works on the full Desktop website - not the Mobile website or app. (On the Mobile website, click the "Desktop version" link at the bottom of the page.)

message 8: by Susan (new)

Susan (suse726) | 12 comments Kris wrote: "Susan, is this book for adults or teens?

I added some details to the header/topic title. You can update it by clicking the small "edit" link after the header. This only works on the full Desktop w..."

It was an adult novel.

message 9: by Susan (last edited Jan 08, 2021 05:30PM) (new)

Susan (suse726) | 12 comments Rainbowheart wrote: "How old is the son?

Was it a dystopian type book?

Kinda reminds me of Census, but that's way too new."

The son is around 10-12 as I recall. It's definitely dystopian. The birds falling out of the sky is just the beginning of strange things happening. I believe it's all due to an environmental incident, perhaps concealed by the government.

message 10: by Kris (new)

Thanks. Would you say the environmental incident is a spoiler?

message 11: by Daisy (new)

Daisy (daisyporter) | 921 comments Susan, is there any chance you're conflating two books? Adaptation and Inheritance have the plot of falling birds = government coverup of something environmental, but the first book didn't come out til 2012 and it's set in America.

message 12: by Susan (new)

Susan (suse726) | 12 comments Kris wrote: "Thanks. Would you say the environmental incident is a spoiler?"

I don't think so. I believe it's acknowledged right away that's what is going on.

message 13: by Susan (new)

Susan (suse726) | 12 comments bump

message 14: by Kris (new)

What type of doctor? Does he live in London? Who and where is the boy's mother?

What other strange things happen early in the book?

message 15: by Susan (new)

Susan (suse726) | 12 comments Kris wrote: "What type of doctor? Does he live in London? Who and where is the boy's mother?

What other strange things happen early in the book?"

The doctor works in a hospital or clinic. I think he was looking out a window with a male colleague at work when he noticed the birds. I can't think of any other strange events early on.

I don't recall what kind of doctor he is, but possibly a researcher or pathologist. I seem to remember that he wasn't in London, but perhaps in a large city like Birmingham or Manchester.

I don't know about the boy's mother, although I seem to recall that his father had full custody.

Also, I think the doctor had to call his mother from payphones, as there were no cell phones (or maybe just no reception).

Thank you for your interest.

message 16: by Susan (new)

Susan (suse726) | 12 comments BUMP

message 17: by Taana (new)

Taana | 5 comments Any chance is The Road

similar to some but not all plot points i know.

message 18: by Daisy (new)

Daisy (daisyporter) | 921 comments Susan, did you rule out the book I suggested?

message 19: by Susan (new)

Susan (suse726) | 12 comments Daisy wrote: "Susan, did you rule out the book I suggested?"

Hi, Daisy. Yes, it's neither of those two books. Thanks for the suggestions, though.