What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Suggest books for me > Books about Forensic Profiler suitable for young teen

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by SarahBeth (new)

SarahBeth | 86 comments My nephew has really enjoyed The Naturals series. He is interested in the profiler aspect of the stories. Any suggestions for books about profilers that aren't high in swearing or graphic descriptions of the torture/abuse/sexual stuff? He loves Non-Fiction biography, and reads at a high grade level. Just trying to keep it suitable for a 13 year old.

Thanks.

message 2: by Ingo (last edited Aug 16, 2018 12:43PM) (new)

Ingo (ilembcke) | 640 comments The only books for teens which come to my mind is the Jenna Blake / Body of evidence series.
Which is not about a profiler, but rather a female forensic assistant.
Starting with:
Body Bags: A Jenna Blake Body of Evidence Thriller
there are currently 10 books in the series.
Body of evidence
Bought the ebooks, some cheap as a bundle. Reading them back-to-back they tend to drag a little as they are very similar, but once in a while a book is good for a rainy weekend.
That said, I rated the first 5 stars, #2 to #7 all 4 stars, and enjoyed them and highly recommend them.
Will read #8-#10 sometime during a break from other books.

message 3: by SarahBeth (new)

SarahBeth | 86 comments Ingo wrote: "The only books for teens which come to my mind is the Jenna Blake / Body of evidence series.
Which is not about a profiler, but rather a female forensic assistant.
Starting with:
[book:Body Bags: ..."

Thank you. I will pass this on to my nephew, and I will probably even sample the series as well.

message 4: by Keith (new)

Keith | 223 comments Sherlock Holmes is effectively an early forensic scientist and profiler, often discussing the psychology of criminals and those around them (e.g. he deduces something sinister is going on via the behaviour of children or animals) as well as analyzing physical evidence. The original Conan Doyle stories are generally "safe" (obviously there is some violence and death, but not sex or "bad language" or very graphic gore).

Avoid the recent BBC "Sherlock" TV series; I think it's a very poor adaptation more interested in snappy pacing and smug postmodernism than coherent plotting.

message 6: by Jessica (new)

message 7: by SarahBeth (new)

SarahBeth | 86 comments Thanks Jessica and Keith. I've suggested Sherlock, he's not a fan at the moment. I'll try again when he's a bit older.

I'll pass on the other suggestions though. I really appreciate the responses.

message 8: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (jessicalynfox) | 180 comments SarahBeth wrote: "Thanks Jessica and Keith. I've suggested Sherlock, he's not a fan at the moment. I'll try again when he's a bit older.

I'll pass on the other suggestions though. I really appreciate the responses."

I really suggest he take a look at I Hunt Killers. My sister, 16, loves this one. She is not a girly girl and usually enjoys reading what are considered “boy books.” This one sort of reminded me of the Dexter show and books, but for a young adult audience.

message 9: by Scott (last edited Aug 23, 2018 03:27PM) (new)

Scott Keith wrote: "Avoid the recent BBC "Sherlock" TV series; I think it's a very poor adaptation more interested in snappy pacing and smug postmodernism than coherent plotting."

Agreed! But definitely check out the 1980s Granada series starring Jeremy Brett--a faithful and proper adaptation!

message 10: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (jessicalynfox) | 180 comments More recs from my sister:

I Am Not a Serial Killer also kind of lik a Sexter for young adults, not quite as good, but still decent.

If he perhaps like paranormal elements: Jackaby

Ripper

Framed!

And she has more and is compiling a list...

message 11: by SarahBeth (new)

SarahBeth | 86 comments Jessica wrote: "More recs from my sister:

I Am Not a Serial Killer also kind of lik a Sexter for young adults, not quite as good, but still decent.

If he perhaps like paranormal elements: [book:J..."

Thank you to you and your sister. My nephew is excited with all the suggestions.