Science and Inquiry discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Book Club 2018 > October 2018 Nominations

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Betsy, co-mod (new)

Betsy | 1788 comments Mod
Please post a comment below to nominate a book for the group to read for October 2018.

Please use the "add book/author" link just above the comment box to insert a link to the Goodreads book page for the book you are nominating, so other members can more easily assess it.

You may nominate a book which has been suggested previously and did not win. You may nominate more than one book, but we might not include all of your nominations in the voting.

Please do not nominate a book which is unlikely to be available to all members, such as one which was just published within the last three months or which is only available on Kindle.

Nominations will close on August 20 or when we have about 10 good nominations, whichever occurs first.

message 5: by Pi (last edited Aug 15, 2018 10:14PM) (new)

message 7: by Coffee&Quasars (new)

Coffee&Quasars (coffeequasars) | 1 comments Computing with Quantum Cats: From Colossus to Qubits, by John Gribbin.

message 8: by Di (new)

Di | 24 comments Would Bad Blood: Secrets and Lies in a Silicon Valley Startup by John Carreyrou count as science?

The full inside story of the breathtaking rise and shocking collapse of Theranos, the multibillion-dollar biotech startup, by the prize-winning journalist who first broke the story and pursued it to the end, despite pressure from its charismatic CEO and threats by her lawyers.

message 9: by Betsy, co-mod (new)

Di wrote: "Would Bad Blood: Secrets and Lies in a Silicon Valley Startup by John Carreyrou count as science? "

I'm not sure whether it would count as science, but in any event, it's a little too new. It was released less than 3 months ago.

message 10: by Vaibhav (new)

Vaibhav | 3 comments Beyond Infinity by Eugenia Cheng

message 11: by Di (new)

Di | 24 comments If Bad blood is a no go this time, what about Why We Sleep: Unlocking the Power of Sleep and Dreams by Matthew P. Walker. Everybody likes naps.. :D

message 14: by Joel (last edited Aug 16, 2018 09:36AM) (new)

Joel (joeldick) | 219 comments Rumell wrote: "Data Structures and Abstractions with Java"

Seems a bit too technical. But if you do want to read an algorithms book, I would recommend Grokking Algorithms An Illustrated Guide For Programmers and Other Curious People for a more approachable book. Algorithms Unlocked is another very good book, probably a better choice than the one you suggested.

message 15: by Vish (new)

Vish Wam (vishwamsankaran) | 1 comments I nominate 'The Perfect Weapon: War, Sabotage and Fear in the Cyber Age' by David E Sanger.

message 16: by Joel (new)

Joel (joeldick) | 219 comments Vish wrote: "I nominate 'The Perfect Weapon: War, Sabotage and Fear in the Cyber Age' by David E Sanger."

Published June 21st 2018. Too recent.

message 17: by Joel (new)

Joel (joeldick) | 219 comments Joel wrote: "Vish wrote: "I nominate 'The Perfect Weapon: War, Sabotage and Fear in the Cyber Age' by David E Sanger."

Published June 21st 2018. Too recent."

Also, it looks more about politics than about science.

message 18: by Joel (last edited Aug 16, 2018 04:46PM) (new)

Joel (joeldick) | 219 comments Joel wrote: "Rumell wrote: "Data Structures and Abstractions with Java"

Seems a bit too technical. But if you do want to read an algorithms book, I would recommend Grokking Algorithms An Illustrated Guide For Programmers and Other Curious People..."

Heck, I might as well nominate it:
Grokking Algorithms An Illustrated Guide For Programmers and Other Curious People by Aditya Y. Bhargava.
Grokking Algorithms An Illustrated Guide For Programmers and Other Curious People by Aditya Y. Bhargava

We're all curious people aren't we (if not programmers)?

message 19: by Betsy, co-mod (new)

Rumell wrote: "Data Structures and Abstractions with Java"

This is a textbook and if we go with the latest edition is extremely expensive. Also, it seems there are only limited numbers available. So I'm disallowing this book.

message 20: by Betsy, co-mod (new)

Nominations are closed. I'll be posting the poll shortly.

message 21: by Betsy, co-mod (new)

Please vote for your preference at the following poll:

https://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/1...

Voting will be open through August 22.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.