Great American Read List discussion

Dead Man's Walk (Lonesome Dove Book 1)
This topic is about Dead Man's Walk
Book Series > December 2018—DEAD MAN'S WALK—Larry McMurtry (Lonesome Dove Series—Book 3 of 4)

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lavan, moderator (last edited Dec 22, 2018 07:33PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lavan Zerach | 498 comments Mod
Dead Man's Walk is the third book in the series.

Dead Man's Walk (Lonesome Dove) by Larry McMurtry

To everyone—I hope you'll participate and read this selection for our book club.
For those who do—share your thoughts as you read, please!

Spoilers are allowed; add a considerate warning if your comment includes any so members have the option to skip.

Feel free to begin reading it early, if you'd like, and start the discussion at your leisure.

message 2: by Lavan, moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

My copy is 441 pages.
I started yesterday. I'm on p. 43—at 10%.

As with books 1 and 2, I was sucked right into another of McMurtry's stories.
Dead Man's Walk is set in the early 1840s, about 35-40 years before Lonesome Dove takes place. Gus and Call are young men, new to the world of rangering, and entertaining as ever (Gus especially).
I'm excited to see what events molded them into the men we know in books 1 and 2. Already, I've been given a bit of background information on both that I didn't know before.

Also, eighteen characters (by my count) in addition to Gus and Call are introduced rapidly in the first couple of chapters. Readers may want to make a list with descriptions to aid them as they continue reading.

message 3: by Lavan, moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

I'm on p. 116—at 26%.

(view spoiler)

message 4: by Lavan, moderator (last edited Jan 05, 2019 06:11PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

I'm on p. 229—at 52%.

I like this book as much as Streets of Laredo, possibly more. It's great action and adventure. I'm definitely not bored.

(view spoiler)

message 5: by Lavan, moderator (last edited Jan 08, 2019 12:57PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

I'm on p. 351—at 80%.

This story is loaded with keen suspense.

(view spoiler)

message 6: by Lavan, moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

I finished yesterday.

Great story!
If you read and loved Lonesome Dove, I highly recommend continuing the series. If you're hesitant because Lonesome Dove was a tome, be assured that books 2 and 3 are approximately 450 - 500 pages each which (I think) is the average length of a good novel. Plus, the stories move fast.

message 7: by Andrew, moderator (new)

Andrew (andyhuey) | 332 comments Mod
Good to know the next couple of books are a bit shorter than Lonesone Dove. It was a great book, and it didn't drag at any point, but it was still 900 pages!

message 8: by Lavan, moderator (last edited Jan 16, 2019 10:32AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Yes, my copy of Lonesome Dove is 941 pages, but it was a favorite of those I read in 2018 (in the top 2).

I don't mind long books if they're as good as that one. I finished seven last year (750+ pages each). I think I'm used to them.