The Never Ending TBR Book Club discussion

General Discussion > Chat Thread

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Maddie (new)

Maddie (maddisonbruce) | -263 comments Mod
Just a general chat thread to have a yarn and get to know people :)

message 2: by GreenFairy (new)

GreenFairy (greenfairy429) | -42 comments Thank you, Maddison!

message 3: by Maddie (new)

No worries! Good point, this group doesn't really just have anywhere to chat and chill!

message 4: by GreenFairy (new)

GreenFairy (greenfairy429) | -42 comments So, I'm going to start things off.

A little over a month ago, my husband, daughter, her friend, and I were in a car accident. A woman wasn't paying attention and was speeding and blew through a stop sign. My husband realized before she even got to the stop sign that she wasn't stopping. He tried to speed up and swerve out of the way. She ended up getting us at the rear passenger tire. Hit us hard enough that we were turned the opposite direction we were heading. The impact could be heard 6 blocks away. Out of the 8 people that were in the two vehicles, I was the only one injured. Our two kids had little bumps but were ok. Me? I bounced off the door...twice. Our car was totaled because she hit us hard enough to crack the frame and shift the body. Her entire front end was ripped off.

We were checked out at the hospital. There are no breaks or fractures. I was sent to an orthopedist. The orthopedist has me in physical therapy. For the first two weeks after the accident, I had very limited mobility. I couldn't use my arm for anything that weighed more than a few ounces. I've been in physical therapy for 3 weeks now. I have almost complete mobility without pain now. Anything that requires my arm to move out to the side, like swinging your arm out or lifting it from the side, I can only get about halfway up. The therapist thinks there might be a little more damage to my rotator cuff.

Tomorrow is my follow up with the orthopedist. He's going to have the report from the therapist and I will be having a conversation with him about my shoulder.

How bad could this accident have been? If my husband wouldn't have reacted so quickly, she would have t-boned both passenger doors. Which most likely would have killed me and my daughter on impact. And most likely would have rolled our identity crisis*. Which could have killed my husband and my daughter's friend. Yeah, she was going that fast and hit us that hard. She lost her license for at least 18 months, will have points on her license for at least 4 years, and is 100% responsible for everything.

How much has this affected me? I haven't been able to work out. Since February, I have worked out 6 days a week. I used to box 4 days a week. I am hoping to try later today. I wasn't able to work for over a week. I couldn't keep my arm extended for any length of time. And now I have to structure my schedule every single day around going to therapy and doing my home therapy.

*Identity crisis... We had a 2012 Kia Soul. It's bigger than a car. But not big enough to be a SUV or truck. So, we call it an identity crisis. We now have a 2014 Kia Soul. We were hit by a 2008 Kia Sorento.

I think I'm done for now. I like to talk...and I ramble. LOL

message 5: by Maddie (new)

I'll read through this in a few hours when I'm home. It seems interesting! I love life info.

message 6: by Maddie (new)

Holy wow thank gosh your husband has fast reflexes!! Why was the woman going that fast?

Thank gosh you're okay!

message 7: by GreenFairy (new)

GreenFairy (greenfairy429) | -42 comments Because she "knew the neighborhood, and was in a hurry to pick up" her daughter to get home to make dinner.

My 16-year-old is scared to get her permit because of this accident. That annoys me. But we're not pushing her.

message 8: by Maddie (new)

No bloody excuse, if she has a stop sign that's what she does.

Yeah fair enough for your daughter!

message 9: by GreenFairy (new)

GreenFairy (greenfairy429) | -42 comments The following week, I was walking home from a meeting. I saw three different cars at three different stop signs just blow through them. Didn't even slow down and do a rolling stop. There are a lot of kids, a lot of pets, and a lot of walkers in my area. It's insane!

message 10: by Maddie (new)

Holy shit! Where do you live? At least people in my country obey the rules

message 11: by GreenFairy (new)

GreenFairy (greenfairy429) | -42 comments I live in New York, Eastern Long Island to be exact.

message 12: by Maddie (new)

Gosh that's so dangerous! Almost wish that something bad does happen to those stupid drivers so that understand

message 13: by GreenFairy (new)

GreenFairy (greenfairy429) | -42 comments And it rarely does. A little over a year ago, my cousin got high on multiple drugs, then went driving. Down the wrong way. Crashed into 3 cars. Luckily no one died. Not counting his injuries, the worst was a broken ankle. He's still going through surgeries. Serves him right. Personally, I hope he spends a lot of time in jail for that.

Karma...

message 14: by Maddie (new)

Yeah I hope he does too!

message 15: by Nancy85 (last edited Aug 16, 2018 04:54PM) (new)

Nancy85 (nancymarie85) I know how you feel GreenFairy. My mom and I were in a car accident 7 years ago (be 7 on September 9th). The woman was texting and driving when she hit us. My mom didn't see the car at first but i could see in the corner of my eye that she wasn't stopping. I yelled at my mom "She isn't stopping, she isn't stopping." She hit us so hard that we almost did a complete 180. I have severe whiplash in my neck that went untreated for those 7 years. I had to get shot in my neck just to calm down the muscle spasms and to control my migraines. I did PT and a chiropractor. In May, we finally settle on the lawsuit. I still have pain in my neck and probably always will. When the police who wrote what happen, had to write it three time. First time, I wasn't on the report. Second time, I was the person who hit my mom and finally, on the third time, he got it right. The reason why it took three times to get the report right was the cop was thinking with his d*** cause the girl had very short shorts and you could see her a**.

message 16: by Maddie (new)

Oh my god cops can't get shit like that wrong!!

message 17: by GreenFairy (new)

GreenFairy (greenfairy429) | -42 comments Holy crap, Nancy! That's very unprofessional of the cop. Ours kept repeating what he took notes of just to make sure he got it right. Came into the ambulance twice.

Are you still getting treatment? I hope the woman is still paying for it too.

message 18: by Nancy85 (new)

Nancy85 (nancymarie85) I stopped with the treatment a few days ago. I've had so many shots in my neck that the shots stopped working for me.

message 19: by GreenFairy (new)

GreenFairy (greenfairy429) | -42 comments Is there anything else they can do for you?

I'm boxing again! Not hardcore like I was. Getting back into form. I pushed myself a little today. Sore...but a good kind of sore.

message 20: by Nancy85 (new)

Nancy85 (nancymarie85) Not sure really