Mystery Madness discussion

The Cat, the Quilt and the Corpse (A Cats In Trouble Mystery, #1)
This topic is about The Cat, the Quilt and the Corpse
#Book1CoziesClub > BotM September through November 2018 - The Cat, the Quilt, and the Corpse (Cats in Trouble Mysteries)

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Di (new) - rated it 2 stars

Di (disis19) | 732 comments Mod
I received a request to read this as our next club selection! This will be our discussion thread for this book. Please be sure to hide your spoilers if there is something that you would like to discuss. The best way to do this is to note what chapter you're on, then hide any spoilery parts. If you do post your review on your favorite social media site, please tag it with #Book1CoziesClub so we can find it. Also, please feel free to link your review here!

We will be picking a holiday read for December on November 15. If there is a holiday cozy you'd like to read, please let me know before then. Preferably a first in a series, though I know this gets difficult, especially with holiday installments ^-^

Elizabeth Meadows (lizziefaye) | 335 comments Mod
Oooh! Cat and Quilt are two of my buzzwords! Is this one on audio?
As far as December goes, (I know it's contrary to the name of the club) but maybe we could read book 2 in the Year Round Christmas series since we've already read the first one. Just a thought.

message 3: by Di (new) - rated it 2 stars

Elizabeth wrote: "Oooh! Cat and Quilt are two of my buzzwords! Is this one on audio?
As far as December goes, (I know it's contrary to the name of the club) but maybe we could read book 2 in the Year Round Christmas..."

I'd be down for reading the 2nd book in the Year Round Christmas series. I'll probably be reading it regardless actually. If I don't hear from anyone else with recommendations, then we'll for sure be reading that one.

The Cat, the Quilt, and the Corpse is not available on audio from my library sources (RB Digital, Overdrive, Hoopla). My library doesn't even offer this one on ebook. I just requested it as an ebook title, though they do have physical copies.

I started this today. I went ahead and used an Audible credit to buy it and I'm already in chapter 15. I'd be listening to it still, but I had to go plug my phone in.
Since I'm a bit of a saver and collector, I kind of love that there is a character who is a hoarder and gets some validation for keeping stuff when it comes in handy for the murder investigation.
I also love that the main character is a TRUE cat person. In the beginning when she called 911, that was a great conversation.

message 5: by Di (new) - rated it 2 stars

I just started this one today! I have to be honest. I've never had pets, but I can understand her treating them like they're her children, and I loved her call to 911 as well. I also love that she quilts for charity. I don't quilt, but I do crochet stuffed toys for charity and have done knit hats and blanket squares as well. I am having a hard time with the accent that's written in though. It's making me have to read things at least twice in those sections.

Since I'm listening, I hadn't thought about how the accents are written. I have the print book checked out from the library so I'll have to look and see what you are referring to.

message 7: by Di (last edited Nov 26, 2018 09:13AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

I finished this one today. It took me a really long time! I did find the different things we learn about cats interesting and I'm not familiar with cat breeds, either so it was neat to learn. That being said, I have never owned pets, so I couldn't really understand the characters.

I also didn't care for the way Jillian would judge people's appearances in her head. Her investigative style didn't work for me either. I think we've all seen our share of stubborn cozy sleuths, but she and Candace both got on my nerves.

I don't think I'm going to read another book from this series, but I wouldn't say that I won't try another series by this author.

I'm sure that the fact that you really aren't a pet or cat person figures into your enjoyment (or lack of). It's difficult to enjoy something that you don't identify with in some way.
I didn't even think about all of those other things you mentioned, but definitely very valid points. Since I bought it on Audible, I will probably listen to it again and pay attention to those aspects.
I have already purchased a couple of other books in the series, so I plan on reading more.

I just ordered the 2nd Year Round Christmas book from the library. Hopefully I will have it by the beginning of December.

message 9: by Di (new) - rated it 2 stars

Elizabeth wrote: "I'm sure that the fact that you really aren't a pet or cat person figures into your enjoyment (or lack of). It's difficult to enjoy something that you don't identify with in some way.
I didn't eve..."

That is exactly right. Maybe if I had access to an audio copy, some of the lines would've come across more hilarious in regards to her judging appearances? Particularly the scene where she keeps remarking about how one of the ladies overlined her lips. She mentioned it at least 3 times during their conversation. Performance is everything when it comes to delivering lines and they just came across rude when I was reading them.

Both Christmas cozies are waiting for me at my library, but I'm waiting for one more book to come in, so I'll pick them up next week. I'm looking forward to revisiting the Year Round Christmas series.