Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Book Issues > Covers replaced on entire series

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tal (new)

Tal (taliesien) I haven't followed the policy updates since March but it was my understanding that the new ISBN/ASIN policy was that as new editions (or simply new covers) were released a new edition was supposed to be created for them and the existing ISBN/ASIN was to be moved to the new record, leaving the old edition/cover in place without an identifier. Has that changed? If not someone should fix this series, which had all the covers replaced yesterday leaving none of the old covers:
https://www.goodreads.com/series/9689...

I'm just very grateful I had already captured the old covers in Calibre before they were wiped out here and everywhere else.

I am aware the policy is to flag rather than post, but I need to know if my interpretation of the March policy change was correct, or if this particular ..librarian...was correct to essentially delete the older editions by replacing the covers for dozens of editions. The series is six books with multiple formats each, we're talking dozens of edits to be flagged here and I'm not sure just the covers being replaced was done incorrectly as other field edits also occurred.

message 2: by Olivia (new)

Olivia (livka) | 7927 comments I will work on it.
The changes will be reverted, as system stores replaced data.

message 3: by Tal (new)

Tal (taliesien) Olivia wrote: "I will work on it.
The changes will be reverted, as system stores replaced data."

Thanks. Wasn't looking forward to flagging almost two pages of librarian edits.

message 4: by Olivia (new)

Olivia (livka) | 7927 comments I reverted the changes on multiple editions of 6 books and 2 box sets.

Alternate cover editions need to be added.
I will work on this through this evening.

message 5: by Olivia (last edited Aug 16, 2018 03:52AM) (new)

Olivia (livka) | 7927 comments I only did 3 box sets today (3 ACEs each) and don't feel well enough to continue.

Books 1-6 still need ACEs added, so any help would be appreciated :)
https://www.goodreads.com/series/9689...

EDIT: Books 1 and 2 done

message 6: by lethe (new)

lethe | 14886 comments Olivia wrote: "I only did 3 box sets today (3 ACEs each) and don't feel well enough to continue.

https://www.goodreads.com/series/9689......"

(Feel better soon, Olivia 😨 )

message 7: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 26918 comments Hope someone flagged that librarian, just so it doesn't keep happening.

Hope you feel better Olivia.

message 8: by Tal (new)

Tal (taliesien) Olivia wrote: "I only did 3 box sets today (3 ACEs each) and don't feel well enough to continue.

https://www.goodreads.com/series/9689......"

Appreciate the effort Olivia. Prior to the policy change I used to create ACE's quite often but the new policy and not being a librarian means I can't move the ISBN's/ASIN's so it's not something I can help with or I would, sorry. Honestly you did enough by undoing the mess in the first place. If it were me I'd leave creating the new editions to the librarian who felt it necessary to update the series in the first place, hopefully following policy this time.

@Sandra, I didn't flag any of her edits after Olivia said she'd fix the mess. From experience, I haven't found flagging to be particularly effective either as I've seen firsthand flags go ignored for months and librarians keep doing it the way they want despite having their edits undone and stern librarian notes, lol.

message 9: by Olivia (new)

Olivia (livka) | 7927 comments Tal wrote: "... I'd leave creating the new editions to the librarian who felt it necessary to update the series in the first place..."

I don't think that would be a good idea.
People are doing these mistakes, because they just don't know the policy, so it's hard to expect they will know how to correcly create and cross-reference the ACEs.
And this is my favourite genre, and my TBR pile, so I would like to see the new covers added :)