Goodreads Sci-Fi/Fantasy Authors discussion

Writing and Publishing > Are writing periodicals actually worth the subscription price?

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by David (new)

David Fernau (DavidFernau) | 4 comments The title kinda says it all, I'm wondering if there's really any benefit to spending the money for subscriptions to magazines about writing.

If so, which are the in ones you'd recommend to sci-fi/fantasy authors?

message 2: by Michèle (new)

Michèle (sundayartist) | 1 comments You subscribe to the mags you read for pleasure. (Currently on 4 mags)

Some mags ask you to pay annual subscription before submitting. I never submit to those. Few are paying markets anyway.

If you want to get a taste of the writing, you buy an electronic copy from time to time. I did it for F&SF, Asimovs, Galaxies...

message 3: by Roger (new)

Roger (rogerrrr) | 5 comments I put five fiction pieces on Amazon, three novels and two novellas. Magazines about writing played no role in any of that.

It might be good to ignore other writers, to encourage yourself to write stories that are a bit off the beaten track.

In sci-fi, it seems to me there are many stories - maybe too many - about "normal, average guy finds himself in a position to save the universe."

Ho hum.

Some writing books are good. My favorite is "Stein on Writing," by Sol Stein.

message 4: by LizaRose (new)

LizaRose Alderson | 2 comments I subscribe to Writers Digest, it has some good articles on writing, editing, and do's and dont's but a lot of it is advertising. Its a reasonable price. If you subscribe you also get a discount on their courses. I have taken a couple about world building and science fiction, and I attended last years online Sci-Fi writers convention. I think I would prefer an in person convention though.