AMERICAN HISTORICAL NOVELS discussion

Library Love

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Claire (new)

Claire McMillan | 8 comments Serving as the Cuyahoga County Public Library Writer in Residence for the last year has been an incredible honor and a reminder of how much I love libraries and especially librarians. Librarians are some of the best resources for talking about new books or hooking you up with a great read. And libraries are one of the few places left in society where you can go and you’re not required to buy something. So shout out to libraries and all my fellow library lovers. Do you love your local library? Does your childhood library still hold a special place for you? How do you decide whether to get a book from the library or buy it? Do you ever check a book out of the library and love it so much that you go and buy it because you want it in your own library (been there, done that). Let me know below.

message 2: by Martha (new)

Martha Conway | 255 comments Mod
When I was little, I had a recurring daydream: basically the plot of From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler, but instead of hiding out in a museum, I would hide in my local library. At night, armed with a flashlight and several tomato sandwiches (I also loved Harriet the Spy), I would read to my heart's content.

My kids' elementary school was next door to the local library, so I often went early before pick-up to browse there. I found the journal of the early explorer Cabeza de Vaca, which was one of my inspirations for my novel Thieving Forest.

And yes, I definitely buy books after having checked them out of the library. Mostly novels or short story collections, but once a cookbook!

Martha

message 3: by Stella (new)

Stella McKissack (stellamckissack) | 38 comments In my early teens I volunteered at the library, I loved it! It was nothing formal, I was just there all the time and started helping the librarian with odd little jobs. Anytime I discover a book I love I have to own a copy of my own

message 4: by Emily (new)

Emily Growing up I considered my rural one-room library the most magical place on Earth...until one day I realized I'd read every age-appropriate book it had to offer. So I started reading all my favorites again (and again) until I went off to college and - wow! - I discovered a whole new breadth and depth of magic to explore.

Since then I've volunteered for the Friends of the Library in every place I've lived, and rarely walk away from a Friends sale without a book (or three) in tow. And I definitely do buy my favorites to add to my collection at home...including those well-worn titles I read so many times over as a kid.

message 5: by Debbie (new)

Debbie | 78 comments I love libraries! When I was young, we went regularly and I even remember a book mobile we went to several times. Since I loved it so much, I took my kids to our local library every weekend when they were young.
Yes, I do often buy books I had borrowed.
Now I do still go to my library but I tend to borrow more via Overdrive than the physical books.

message 6: by Beverly (new)

Beverly I too spent a lot of time in the library as a kid. In college and graduate school, I studied there, used the library for my sources for my papers. It was such an important resource and retreat. I lived for awhile some distance from a library and got out of the habit of going to the library. I am using it more now although I, too, use Overdrive when it is feasible.

message 7: by Barbara (new)

Barbara | 24 comments I love my library. They have a great friends of the library shop where you can buy used books and the money goes towards buying books for the library and other fun programs. I fell in love with libraries as a child - the Schaumburg Public Library was the neatest place for me as a kid.