Play Book Tag discussion

Archives 2018 and beyond > Time to Vote for the September tag

Comments Showing 1-50 of 77 (77 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6732 comments Please vote for the tag you would most like to read for September at the following link:

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/5ZPTC5F

You may click on the answer choices in the survey to see a listing of books that fit each tag.

Remember, you may cast up to a total of 10 participation points for your choice. Everyone gets one vote for free so please vote even if you don't have any participation points!

You can see how many participation points you currently have in the spreadsheet below.

Please note that if you are new to PBT, the participation points are tallied at the beginning of each month, so it is possible your name may not yet be added to the spreadsheet. Don't worry, it will be next month! In the meantime, you have one vote to cast, so please join the voting.

With all the new people, calculating the participation points is getting more challenging. We are up for the challenge, but if you think there may be an error, you are welcome to PM JoLene or myself, and we will try to get it straightened out!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/...

Happy voting! Please cast your votes by 12 pm EST on 8/23.

Note: If no one choice receives more than 50% of the vote, people who chose the least popular choice will be asked to recast their votes for one of the remaining two options.

message 2: by Joni (new)

Joni | 625 comments Voted!!! :)

message 3: by Amy (new)

Amy | 9334 comments I can’t wait to research these. But I just have a feeling I’m going to vote outside my comfort zone. I don’t know why I have that feeling. Just do.

message 4: by Linda C (new)

Linda C (libladynylindac) | 1152 comments Voted - Have something for all choices, so really OK with any one

message 5: by SANDYE (new)

SANDYE (sandye_c) Voted today! Tough choice between funny and friendship...in the end friendship always wins with me!

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

These are some interesting choices. I can't say I would hate any of them, although dark fantasy would be quite different for me. I need to research a little first.

message 7: by Joi (new)

Joi (missjoious) | 3834 comments I'm good with all 3.

I have had approximately 0 reading time lately, so I voted for the on I thought would best get me "back into the swing of things".

message 8: by KateNZ (new)

KateNZ | 2666 comments Well, thank goodness - the randomiser has returned from whatever parallel universe it disappeared into last month ;) (It will take a while before the words ‘faith’ and ‘poetry’ are erased from my mind’s eye ...)

Voted to fit with another challenge, but I’d have several somethings on the TBR for any of these

message 9: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 6381 comments Voted.

message 10: by Amy (new)

Amy | 9334 comments Kate - LOL. Seriously I did.

message 11: by Robin (new)

Robin A When I first saw the choices I thought it would be an easy pick. However when I clicked of them to see what books where on the list I had several "want to reads" in two of them and had read several in the other one. Since I had been reading a few fantasy I didn't choose that one and went with one of the ones I had several "want to reads" on it. Will be good with any of the choices this month

message 12: by Barbara M (new)

Barbara M (barbara-m) | 2297 comments I'm OK with any of the three so I'm just putting one vote to my choice.

message 13: by annapi (new)

annapi | 5153 comments Voted - don't really care which comes out on top, though!

message 14: by Booknblues (new)

Booknblues | 6847 comments Looks like there is a consensus that any are acceptable. I have books on my tbr for all of them and there was one which I prefer, so it made the choice easy for me.

No extra points given in the vote.

message 15: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments I’m not in love with any of the choices so I’ll only use my one vote this month. It will be interesting to see which one wins.

Kate, I also laughed at your comments!

message 16: by Magdalena (new)

Magdalena | 414 comments I only used one vote, I think I'll easily find something no matter what. I was a little scared to look after last month!

message 17: by Karin (last edited Aug 15, 2018 02:59PM) (new)

Karin | 7460 comments Well, 2 are good for me, one not my cup of tea. However, it was an easy vote because it's the only one where in the first 3 pages of the shelf I have a book I just picked up from the library that I can wait a bit to start. It might even work for the one I don't like, but I'd have to comb through the shelves to see if someone shelved it that way.

message 18: by Joni (new)

Joni | 625 comments I voted for the one that had the most books on my TBR......i must trim the TBR, one book at a time.

message 19: by Amy N. (new)

Amy N. | 256 comments I'm like most of you, I would be happy with any of these. I was surprised at how many I had read of dark fantasy, but then, that seems to be a somewhat loose definition. I'll vote after a little more research.

message 20: by Meli (new)

Meli (melihooker) | 3673 comments I could get down with any of these! Dark fantasy is the most outside my wheelhouse I guess, so I picked that.

message 21: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7784 comments I would be thrilled with any of these! If dark fantasy wins, though, is it finally time for me to read the fifth GoT book?!?

message 22: by Idit (new)

Idit | 1028 comments first I thought - ugh... david sedaris, vampires and YA books...
then I played with Tagmash and now I can't choose which one I want more... I have 5 books at least in each category that I must read right now.

message 23: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl  (cherylllr) Yeah, I'm not going to be reading the obvious/ popular choices no matter what wins. But I should be able to find something, even for the least interesting one.

I'm definitely interested in what other folks from this community read (for any of them).

message 24: by Rachel N. (new)

Rachel N. | 1607 comments I could easily find something for any of the three but I'm torn between two because they both have strong PBT connections for me and seeing them as choices has brought back a flood of memories of support for me from PBT members. When my husband died in 2009 we had one designated person pick the tag. I was chosen to pick right before he died so I obviously couldn't pick then. Friendship was chosen for April 2009 by another PBT member at least in part to support me. Then in 2013 while friendship was again the tag I got engaged to my second love.

Back in 2009 when I was finally felt able to pick a tag I picked humor in memory of my husband because that was my his favorite kind of book. I'm going to vote for one of the two this time, I'm not sure which.

message 25: by Idit (new)

Idit | 1028 comments Cheryl wrote: "Yeah, I'm not going to be reading the obvious/ popular choices no matter what wins. But I should be able to find something, even for the least interesting one.

I'm definitely interested in what o..."

look at these links for starters - more of literature than popular fiction:
List of dark fantasy combined with literature in Tagmash
list for humor
list for friendship

message 26: by LibraryCin (new)

LibraryCin | 9053 comments Rachel N. wrote: "I could easily find something for any of the three but I'm torn between two because they both have strong PBT connections for me and seeing them as choices has brought back a flood of memories of s..."

<3

message 27: by LibraryCin (new)

LibraryCin | 9053 comments I'll be happy with any of these!

message 28: by Idit (new)

Idit | 1028 comments Rachel N. wrote: "I could easily find something for any of the three but I'm torn between two because they both have strong PBT connections for me and seeing them as choices has brought back a flood of memories of s..."

you are a very special group of people here!

message 29: by Amy (new)

Amy | 9334 comments Just threw 2 votes at dark fantasy. Anybody falling off their chair right now? That is the least likely or expected vote I have ever given. I just felt friendship was too easy and kind of boring. Not to mention square in my comfort zone. But have something to read for whatever the tag turns out to be.

message 30: by Theresa (last edited Aug 18, 2018 11:30PM) (new)

Theresa | 8333 comments Voted, and for the one I initially thought 'no way!' When I researched each, I found several options in my TBR for 2 choices, and numerous 'read' in the 3rd.

Motto: always research before voting!

message 31: by KateNZ (new)

KateNZ | 2666 comments @Amy ... kerthunk, oof [sound of me hitting the floor]

I credit Temeraire with this revolution 😉

message 32: by Sushicat (new)

Sushicat | 805 comments Idit wrote: "Cheryl wrote: "Yeah, I'm not going to be reading the obvious/ popular choices no matter what wins. But I should be able to find something, even for the least interesting one.

I'm definitely inter..."

I found Perdido Street Station on the dark fantasy list. I’m very slowly making headway, this would be the push I need to get serious.

http://www.librarything.com/tag/dark+...
This one combines our three choices. I’d go with Jim Butcher’s Harry Dresden - if I had not read them all...

message 33: by Michelle M. (new)

Michelle M. | 46 comments Voted! Love Friendship!

message 34: by Jess (new)

Jess Penhallow | 53 comments I voted for friendship. I need to read more books with well written friendships.

message 35: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl  (cherylllr) Ty Idit for the handy links!

message 36: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments Kerthunk oof. Lol!

message 37: by Amy (new)

Amy | 9334 comments I loved Temeraire, but he’s not to blame. You guys are! It just so happens that my TBR is filled with a few of these, some of them sequels from things I have started because of you guys. It just so happens I have eight or nine box that would fit that would actually help clear my TBR a little bit. Naturally everything I read is going to have a strong friendship theme, so it just feels like I barely need to blink.

message 38: by [deleted user] (new)

Amy wrote: "Just threw 2 votes at dark fantasy. Anybody falling off their chair right now? That is the least likely or expected vote I have ever given. I just felt friendship was too easy and kind of boring. N..."

I just fell off my chair!!!

message 39: by [deleted user] (new)

I voted for friendship. Like Amy I almost voted for dark fantasy to go outside my comfort zone but when I saw that the Harry Potter books were under friendship I had to vote that way. I've been wanting to read Harry Potter for years and I feel like I may be the only person in the world who has yet to read them. So I figured if friendship wins I will at least get a start on this series. But honestly I am good with any of them.:)

message 40: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7784 comments Rachel wrote: "I voted for friendship. Like Amy I almost voted for dark fantasy to go outside my comfort zone but when I saw that the Harry Potter books were under friendship I had to vote that way. I've been wan..."

OH! I just got all of the HP books on Audio! I could totally read those (for the fourth time) next month if friendship wins!

message 41: by Amy (new)

Amy | 9334 comments My favorite Harry Potter book for friendship has to be my favorite of the entire series. It’s Harry Potter three: prisoner of Azkaban.

Maybe if it’s friendship I read Something Beautiful Happened. Didn’t you just read that Rachel? I figured if it was one I would come deeper into my TBR list and find the perfect one. But that one just arose and feels right.

message 42: by [deleted user] (new)

Amy wrote: "My favorite Harry Potter book for friendship has to be my favorite of the entire series. It’s Harry Potter three: prisoner of Azkaban.

Maybe if it’s friendship I read Something Beautiful Happened..."

I did read that, well listened to it. I enjoyed the book and really believe I would have liked it more if I had read the book. This was the time period I was really trying the audio thing before I finally realized it was not for me. If dark fantasy wins I'm going to need some help finding books.:)

message 43: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7784 comments Amy wrote: "My favorite Harry Potter book for friendship has to be my favorite of the entire series. It’s Harry Potter three: prisoner of Azkaban.

Maybe if it’s friendship I read Something Beautiful Happened..."

Prisoner of Azkaban is my favorite too! I loved that book.

message 44: by Amy (new)

Amy | 9334 comments Yeah, if Dark Fantasy wins, I am so not the person to ask - lol. Are you hearing the floods as people are crashing to the ground in shock that I would even offer my vote for such a thing? Yet for you darling, just for you, I may just have something to recommend that might be unusually up your alley.

message 45: by [deleted user] (new)

Amy wrote: "Yeah, if Dark Fantasy wins, I am so not the person to ask - lol. Are you hearing the floods as people are crashing to the ground in shock that I would even offer my vote for such a thing? Yet for y..."

Amy, I nearly did fall off my chair. And I did almost vote for dark fantasy as it would be a very different genre. Harry Potter is the only thing that steered me away.
I bet you do have some unusual suggestion and I am up for the challenge.:)

message 46: by Kelly (new)

Kelly | 848 comments Voted! I am good with any of them.

message 47: by Barbara M (new)

Barbara M (barbara-m) | 2297 comments KateNZ wrote: "@Amy ... kerthunk, oof [sound of me hitting the floor]

I credit Temeraire with this revolution 😉"

LOL! I think you're right!

message 48: by Amy N. (new)

Amy N. | 256 comments For fun I decided to Tagmash dark fantasy and friendship and it told me I saw the first person to ever do that. But apparently I'm not the first to mash all three of our choices together. Anyone want to confess? ;)

Stiiiiiiil trying to decide which to vote for. I feel spoiled for choice since none of these are outside my comfort zone.

message 49: by Karin (new)

Karin | 7460 comments Idit wrote: "Cheryl wrote: "Yeah, I'm not going to be reading the obvious/ popular choices no matter what wins. But I should be able to find something, even for the least interesting one.

I'm definitely inter..."

You have to sign in to read this, so I am going to save the links and sign in later.

message 50: by Karin (new)

Karin | 7460 comments Amy wrote: "Yeah, if Dark Fantasy wins, I am so not the person to ask - lol. Are you hearing the floods as people are crashing to the ground in shock that I would even offer my vote for such a thing? Yet for y..."

I've read dark fantasy before so didn't have to vote for it to broaden my horizons--phew!

« previous 1