Goodreads Choice Awards Book Club discussion

Archive - Buddy Reads 2018 > YA Fantasy - September 2018

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 6209 comments Mod
The group voted to read the YA Fantasy nominees, Caraval and Scythe, in September. The winner for this genre was A Court of Wings and Ruin. Have you read any of the other nominees for this award? Which have you read and what did you think? Which was your favorite?

Do you plan to read any of them in the future? How about setting up a buddy read of one that you are interested in this month? Use this thread to discuss and find a buddy!

Schedule buddy reads here, then set up a separate thread to discuss.

message 2: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Additional nominees:
All the Crooked Saints
Carve the Mark (Carve the Mark #1)
Crystal Storm (Falling Kingdoms #5)
Flame in the Mist (Flame in the Mist #1)
In Other Lands
King's Cage (Red Queen #3)
La Belle Sauvage (The Book of Dust #1)
Lord of Shadows (The Dark Artifices #2)
Our Dark Duet (Monsters of Verity #2)
Strange the Dreamer (Strange the Dreamer #1)
The Black Witch (The Black Witch Chronicles #1)
The Language of Thorns: Midnight Tales and Dangerous Magic (Grisha Verse 0.5, 2.5, 2.6)
The Song Rising (The Bone Season #3)
Tower of Dawn (Throne of Glass #6)
Traitor to the Throne (Rebel of the Sands #2)
Warcross (Warcross #1)
Wintersong (Wintersong #1)

message 3: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

I have already read Strange the Dreamer and thought it was good. I also plan to read Scythe. I am not a huge fantasy lover, though I do enjoy it sometimes. I liked Neal Shusterman's Unwind series, so I'm looking forward to Scythe. I also want to read Everlost eventually, which is written by the same author.

message 4: by Kasey (new)

Kasey | 1 comments Absolutely loved Lord of Shadows. I'm a huge Cassandra Clare fan and could read and reread the Mortal Instruments and the Dark Artifices series every day. I was nervous for the next series of Shadowhunters to come out, I thought it would be so hard to compete for my love of the Mortal Instruments, but it was so amazing.

message 5: by Chris (new)

Chris The only two I have read is Caraval and Scythe. Want to read Warcross and Wintersong - looking forward to those two reads.

message 6: by Janina (new)

Janina (sylarana) | 692 comments I completely adored Strange The Dreamer and I love In Other Lands (big Sarah Rees Brennan fan) .
I used to like Cassandra Clare's books quite a bit, but after a while I lost interest in her series. I still haven't gotten around to reading her latest books.
Caraval wasn't bad, but I didn't love it. I do want to read Scythe and Flame in the Mist.
I did not like King's Cage at all. The series started out great, but this book was just terribly boring to me. Same for A court of Wings and Ruin .. the first book in the series was so so good. This one a complete disappointment to me.

message 7: by Chris (new)

Chris Don't like the direction of King's Cage and that series - loved the beginning - got to Red Queen and it was so so - King's Cage had me wanting the throw the book down repeat times because I got so frustrated with it!!

message 8: by Savanes, Moderator (new)

Savanes | 2056 comments Mod
Scythe was great, I hope you'll like it. I also liked a court of Wings and Ruin. I read Tower of Dawn (so that I could read the next book being released next month). I was expecting it to be bad because I was not fond of Chaol but actually it was one of the best in the series. :)

I read only one of Cassandra Clare's books and it felt so much like it was inspired (plagerized??) by Harry Potter that I didn't try her other books.

Otherwise, I'm interested in the Warcross, the Flame in the Mist, the Rebel of the Sands and the "Grisha Verse" series.