The Perks Of Being A Book Addict discussion

Little Fires Everywhere
This topic is about Little Fires Everywhere
ARCHIVE - BOTM discussions > Little Fires Everywhere by Celeste Ng - September 2018

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kristie | 5321 comments Our winning group read for September is Little Fires Everywhere by Celeste Ng. Please discuss here and remember to use spoiler tags as needed, as everyone may start at different times and reads at different speeds.

Little Fires Everywhere by Celeste Ng

Everyone in Shaker Heights was talking about it that summer: how Isabelle, the last of the Richardson children, had finally gone around the bend and burned the house down.

In Shaker Heights, a placid, progressive suburb of Cleveland, everything is meticulously planned – from the layout of the winding roads, to the colours of the houses, to the successful lives its residents will go on to lead. And no one embodies this spirit more than Elena Richardson, whose guiding principle is playing by the rules.

Enter Mia Warren – an enigmatic artist and single mother – who arrives in this idyllic bubble with her teenage daughter Pearl, and rents a house from the Richardsons. Soon Mia and Pearl become more than just tenants: all four Richardson children are drawn to the alluring mother-daughter pair. But Mia carries with her a mysterious past, and a disregard for the rules that threatens to upend this carefully ordered community.

When the Richardsons' friends attempt to adopt a Chinese-American baby, a custody battle erupts that dramatically divides the town and puts Mia and Mrs. Richardson on opposing sides. Suspicious of Mia and her motives, Mrs. Richardson becomes determined to uncover the secrets in Mia's past. But her obsession will come at unexpected and devastating costs to her own family – and Mia's.

Little Fires Everywhere explores the weight of long-held secrets and the ferocious pull of motherhood-and the danger of believing that planning and following the rules can avert disaster, or heartbreak.

DebsD | 11 comments I loved this book. Highly recommended. :-)

message 3: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kristie | 5321 comments I also really enjoyed this one. It is a great book for discussion. There is so much going on with different people regarding their viewpoints and decisions. I read this as a buddy read and there was a lot of chatting.

message 4: by Lex (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lex (lexi_liese) | 136 comments I started reading this just a couple hours ago and I’m hooked. Will I sleep tonight or pull an all-nighter? I guess I’ll find out!

message 5: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kristie | 5321 comments Now I’m curious, Lex! Were you able to put it aside or are you tired today?

Sharon (sharon_alexandr) | 248 comments It took me a while to get in to this one - it's definitely a slow start. I agree there is a ton that goes on with all the different characters and the relationships between them.

Amaris | 1 comments I got a copy of the book! Never fully used this app or the book discussions even though I’ve been a member for some time. Looking forward to reading this book and getting use of this good reads app! :-)

message 8: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kristie | 5321 comments Glad you’ll be joining us, Amaris!

Corina | 1241 comments Finally got this one from the library and hope to start it next week 😊

message 10: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kristie | 5321 comments Hope you love it, Corina. Let us know your thoughts as you go. :)

message 11: by Lex (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lex (lexi_liese) | 136 comments I absolutely loved this book! I didn’t end up pulling an all-nighter, but I did finish it in just a couple days. What I enjoyed most about the book was the character development. The characters all became relatable as the story progressed and I found I was surprised by quite a bit of the story line. All in all, I felt the book was not predictable. I’m excited to see what other people thought!

Corina | 1241 comments Thank you, Kristie! Will keep you posted ;)

Corina | 1241 comments Finished and really enjoyed this one! To be honest, for me it was a better read than her first novel, liked her writing style and the character development! The ending did leave me wanting a bit more...but all in all a good read!

Francesca Leoni | 1 comments Hi everyone :) I joined the group because I was interested in reading this book and wanted someone to talk about it with! When can we start talking about this book in detail? At the end of the month?

message 15: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kristie | 5321 comments Hi, Francesca. Welcome to the group! You can start talking in detail whenever you want, just use spoiler tags. If you don't know how, let me know and I'll explain them.

A lot of people in this group like to just comment what they thought at the end of the book, but I love discussing as I go. I've already finished this one, but I'd be happy to discuss with you if you comment and we have a few others that might too.

message 16: by Emma (new) - rated it 4 stars

Emma Bantleman (emmabantleman) | 3 comments My first time posting in a group discussion:

It's hard not to just repost my review I posted on the book page, but really interested to see what people think.

Like the reviews said this book is definitely a page turner, and though my favourite character was Mia, I didn't feel that her character was revealed as much in her older years as a Mother, than when her back story was explained.

It was an easy read but not one that has left a lasting effect. The way Celeste plotted the storyline was very good, like a puzzle fitting pieces together, though I expected more build up to the fire at the end.

Surprisingly enough some books have a flat beginning or middle but the ending fell flat and did meet my expectations. Maybe it was because the fire was mentioned at the beginning to keep the readers intrigued but Mia's character was enough to do that. Maybe the fire should have been left till the end.

Regardless, I did enjoy the book and have added Celeste Ng's previous book to my to-read list.

Colleen  | 293 comments I couldn't get enough of this book. It was real and it was heartfelt. So many issues and so much to discuss in my RL book club. I totally need to read her other books. Heart, heart, heart.

I agree about the fire Emma. And I need a sequel.

Debbie (readbydeb) | 1 comments I also agree about leaving the fire to the end; I would have preferred that as an unexpected climax rather than an event we were expecting to happen from page 1. It honestly felt like a strange opener to the book to me, and I felt like the book had enough going for it that it didn't need that as the opener to keep people interested.

That being said, I did still immensely enjoy this book. Ng did a great job with character development and showing how people's actions, assumptions, and preconceived notions affect those around them.

I also thoroughly enjoyed her writing style; it drew me in and kept me wanting more.

message 19: by Lex (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lex (lexi_liese) | 136 comments Warning! Spoiler!

Okay, now that it's towards the end of the month, and I'm assuming that anyone who would be reading this has already finished it, I'm wondering if anyone else was bothered by this one tiny little thing.

I really wished there had been more closure on Lexie's abortion and whether her mother ever actually found out. I like to think that Lexie eventually told her mother and that her mother was able to understand Lexie's actions. If anyone else has any thoughts or theories on this, I would love to hear them!

Colleen  | 293 comments Lex wrote: "Warning! Spoiler!

Okay, now that it's towards the end of the month, and I'm assuming that anyone who would be reading this has already finished it, I'm wondering if anyone else was bothered by thi..."

I agree - I didn't think it was fair that the boyfriend totally got off and the blame got put on someone else. The mother should have found out all involved and should have dealt with it. I'm hoping it would have gotten cleared up in the future also.

message 21: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kristie | 5321 comments I agree, ladies. I wish that was cleared up at the end, but also hope it would come out at some point in the future.

**Please make sure that if you are replying to the spoiler comment that the spoiler warning stays at the top of your post, especially if you also include a spoiler. (Not directed at you, Colleen. Your comment has the warning there. Just as a reminder to others.)

I ask that people use spoiler tags because sometimes people come back to these posts much later to comment or like to comment as they read and they haven't finished the book yet. Spoiler tags lets people have a discussion about the book as they go without having to finish the book first.

PattyMacDotComma | 562 comments I enjoyed this one - not my favourite book, but a good read. Rather than chat here, I'll just add a link to my review.
https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

Colleen  | 293 comments Kristie wrote: "I agree, ladies. I wish that was cleared up at the end, but also hope it would come out at some point in the future.

**Please make sure that if you are replying to the spoiler comment that the sp..."

OK - sorry! I totally understand - you can never be too careful though.

message 24: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kristie | 5321 comments No worries, Colleen!

If I recall, one of the questions I had at the end was (view spoiler)

message 25: by Lex (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lex (lexi_liese) | 136 comments Kristie wrote: "No worries, Colleen!

If I recall, one of the questions I had at the end was [spoilers removed]"

(view spoiler)

message 26: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kristie | 5321 comments Lex wrote: "Kristie wrote: "No worries, Colleen!

[spoilers removed]"

Agreed! So many questions. I wondered if (view spoiler)

DebsD | 11 comments Kristie wrote: "No worries, Colleen!

If I recall, one of the questions I had at the end was (view spoiler)"

I think she could have (view spoiler)

message 28: by Kim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kim Martin | 5 comments So, I’ve already read this and came here to see what others thought but find myself incredibly annoyed by all of the incomplete posts. I am talking about all of the [spoilers removed] business

PattyMacDotComma | 562 comments Kim wrote: "So, I’ve already read this and came here to see what others thought but find myself incredibly annoyed by all of the incomplete posts. I am talking about all of the [spoilers removed] business"

If you click on (view spoiler), the message will open up so you can read what people have hidden for those who don't want to see it yet.

Julia PattyMacDotComma wrote: "If you click on (view spoiler), the message will open up so you can read what people have hidden for those who don't want to see it yet."

Not on the app. The app is terrible.

message 31: by Victoria (last edited Jan 14, 2019 07:41AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Victoria | 1 comments Hey guys !

Just finished this book yesterday and I loved it but it made me ask myself some questions and I would be curious to get more opinions.
Although I won't give away any real spoilers in my comment I would still advise people who are currently reading / discovering the plot - to skip this message (and maybe come back to it later :) )

*** SPOILER***

What is your opinion about the whole May Ling / Mirabelle storyline?
For me I have to admit this raised very strong feelings, and I found myself being completely on the side of the McCullough. I even found it a bit hard to have much of sympathy for Bebe... (Don't get me wrong: I did but still... I had picked my side).
Plus, that unexpected ending for the child really got me like 'whuuuuuut?' so I was wondering if other readers shared my opinion or the opposite, and why this is? :)

message 32: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kristie | 5321 comments Kim wrote: "So, I’ve already read this and came here to see what others thought but find myself incredibly annoyed by all of the incomplete posts. I am talking about all of the [spoilers removed] business"

You have to log in online. The app automatically removes spoilers. So frustrating. I wish they'd fix that.

message 33: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kristie | 5321 comments DebsD wrote: "Kristie wrote: "No worries, Colleen!

I think she could have [spoilers removed]"

The more I think about it (view spoiler)

message 34: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kristie | 5321 comments Victoria, thanks for labeling your post so clearly with a spoiler. :)

I was torn on that issue. I read it a while ago, but I remember that (view spoiler)

my review

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Little Fires Everywhere (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Celeste Ng (other topics)