The Perks Of Being A Book Addict discussion

Artemis
This topic is about Artemis
ARCHIVE - BOTM discussions > Artemis by Andy Weir - September 2018

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 3021 comments The group chose to read Artemis by Andy Weir in September as our heist themed read. Please discuss here and remember to use spoiler tags as needed, as everyone may start at different times and reads at different speeds.

Artemis by Andy Weir

Jazz Bashara is a criminal.

Well, sort of. Life on Artemis, the first and only city on the moon, is tough if you're not a rich tourist or an eccentric billionaire. So smuggling in the occasional harmless bit of contraband barely counts, right? Not when you've got debts to pay and your job as a porter barely covers the rent.

Everything changes when Jazz sees the chance to commit the perfect crime, with a reward too lucrative to turn down. But pulling off the impossible is just the start of her problems, as she learns that she's stepped square into a conspiracy for control of Artemis itself—and that now, her only chance at survival lies in a gambit even riskier than the first.

Stephanie | 89 comments Being science fiction, which is typically not my genre of reading, I found myself really enjoying every page. The author had a sense of writing in a way that made you feel like you were with Jazz on Artemis and when she rode Trigger you were as well. When she was in a hamster bubble enjoying the site you were right there with her gizmo in hand. I've had The Martian sitting on my bookshelf for awhile now, perhaps it's time to give it a try.

message 3: by Lex (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lex (lexi_liese) | 35 comments It seems that I was in the same boat as Stephanie; I typically do not choose sci-fi books. However, I was pleasantly surprised with Artemis. What I enjoyed most about the book was Jazz’s prose. I found myself laughing out loud a few times because her comedic timing (and therefore Weir’s) was wonderful. I’m looking forward to hearing what other people enjoyed!

Summer (paradisecity) | 27 comments My local book club read this earlier in the summer and it was a miss for most of us. There were a number of inconsistencies and that whole "try out my reusable condom!" bit was so unnecessary and kind of gross, since it didn't serve a purpose at all.

The writing was generally snappy but I didn't really love the plot or the characters. I thought The Martian was a mixed bag for similar reasons, so I'll probably give the author a pass in the future.

Annalisa | 382 comments I read this earlier this year and just didn't buy the story. Jazz did not come across as female. I had to keep reminding myself of the fact. I felt like there were a few unresolved plot points as well. On top of that I didn't care about the main character. I was alright with the scientist and interested in Kelvin back on earth the conversations between Jazz and Kelvin were most interesting to me. After how strong a story The Martin was I was disappointed by how weak this was.

message 6: by Jes (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jes | 2 comments I went into this book really expecting something fantastic along the lines of The Martian. I was disappointed.
I felt like this story wasnt as thought out (compared to the previous book) and it felt rushed. It wasnt terrible but I expect more from this author.

Stephanie | 4 comments I liked it but it is no The Martian. Loved the concept but the characters are just all so nasty to one another to the point of annoying.

message 8: by Lex (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lex (lexi_liese) | 35 comments After looking at everyone’s disappointed reactions I’m deciding that I really need to read The Martian.

Tizzy | 6 comments I read this during the month and forgot to comment here or write a proper review :P

I agree that it's not The Martian, and the plot feels contrived at times (just as well, some of the science details looked a bit iffy to me.)

It is, however, entertaining and quite interesting. I quite liked it, although I agree with some of the criticism, like the idea that Jazz didn't feel quite female and characters often seem plain.

Then again, characters were also quite plain in The Martian, only we didn't notice because most of the book was about a single character (the only properly characterized one) alone on a planet :P

Darrik (FLYorFALL) | 4 comments Forgot to comment too. It was actually a really good book. It seemed like a number of people didn’t like Jazz personality. But I actually thought she was awesome and hilarious. I thoroughly enjoyed the book though!

message 11: by Jes (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jes | 2 comments I would think a male would like her character, as Jazz is more like "one of the guys". :P

message 12: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Wadler | 1 comments While not The Martian, still a very well told story with rich characters, intricate plot and unique characters. Enjoyed the book. Actually listened to the second half of the story via audio book - well-done narration.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Martian (other topics)
Artemis (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Andy Weir (other topics)