Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Adding New Books & Editions > combine editions

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tomas (new)

Tomas S. | 59 comments Can you please combine the following editions:

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/4...
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...

Thanks

message 2: by Abcdarian (new)

Abcdarian | 23457 comments Done.

message 4: by Miles (new)

Miles Hudson | 7 comments I tried to combine editions of my book, and all entries for it vanished. So then I tried to add it back. But the system tried to create a new book - you'll see it on my profile as the book of mine with no cover image (Edexcel A Level Physics Book 1). This should be the book with ISBN 9781447991182.
This process also confused me in that 'Add a book' doesn't offer a chance to simply search, find the book and click that I wrote it. The 'Add a book' thing wants to create a new one that doesn't already have an entry. But if I search and find the book that I wrote, how do I add that as one of mine?

message 5: by Tomas (new)

Tomas S. | 59 comments Miles, can you open another discussion?

message 6: by Tomas (new)

Tomas S. | 59 comments Will anybody help with #3?

message 7: by Abcdarian (new)

Abcdarian | 23457 comments #3: Done. Patience please. :-)

message 8: by Tomas (new)

Tomas S. | 59 comments Sorry, Abcdarian :) Thanks!

message 9: by Abcdarian (last edited Aug 15, 2018 08:41AM) (new)

Abcdarian | 23457 comments #4: Miles wrote: "I tried to combine editions of my book, and all entries for it vanished. So then I tried to add it back. But the system tried to create a new book - you'll see it on my profile as the book of mine ..."

Set the blank edition to merge/be deleted shortly. "Add a book" is for books that are not already on Goodreads. If you find an edition of yours not on your page, your only recourse is to ask a librarian to move it; it is easy for us and impossible for you to do so. 9781447991182 Edexcel AS/A level Physics 2015 is already on your page, combined with the other editions.

Feel free to ask for librarian help for any combining or separating that you need done also.

message 10: by Vivek (new)

Vivek Kumar | 2 comments Vivek Kumar

There are multiple authors with my name. I have a very common name. I was unaware of the importance of "^^^"( the three space between my first name and last name) So there is a huge mess. I have combined three different published fiction into one. Is it possible to separate the three completely different stories? I tried to do so by my own but due to lack of my awareness, there are different author names separated by some single space or some double space or some triple space, the one allotted to me as Goodreads author.

message 11: by Arenda (new)

Arenda | 22201 comments #10 Vivek wrote: "Vivek Kumar

There are multiple authors with my name. I have a very common name. I was unaware of the importance of "^^^"( the three space between my first name and last name) So..."

Separated your three books, and moved a couple of editions back to your profile: https://www.goodreads.com/author/list...

GR indeed uses one or more extra spaces between first and last name in the author field to separate author profiles with the same name. Your profile is Vivek 3-space Kumar. When you add one of your books yourself, there have to be three spaces between your first and last name on the book page.

message 12: by Vivek (new)

Vivek Kumar | 2 comments Arenda wrote: "#10 Vivek wrote: "Vivek Kumar

There are multiple authors with my name. I have a very common name. I was unaware of the importance of "^^^"( the three space between my first name..."

Thank you so much for your help. I apologize for the inconvenience that you have to go through. I will be very cautious in the future. Thank you again from the core of my heart. Have a great day ahead.

message 13: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 26910 comments Also Vivek, you should know that Authors can combine but cannot separate works, so you'll need to post in the future should you need to separate any works :)

message 14: by Rennie (new)

Rennie James | 5 comments Hi!

I've added my new second edition, but I'm unsure of how to combine all first editions together (w/o adding the second one to the group). Can someone pls let me know what to do? Thanks in advance!

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...

message 15: by Olivia (new)

Olivia (livka) | 7927 comments Looks like they are correctly combined (please note that Goodreads policy is to combine all editions of the same work).
https://www.goodreads.com/work/editio...

You have on option of setting the new edition as default to show on your author page and come up in searches:
Setting default edition

message 16: by Rennie (new)

Rennie James | 5 comments Perfect - I've set the second one as default. Thank you, Olivia!

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Edexcel AS/A level Physics 2015 (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Vivek Kumar (other topics)