The Last Cruise The Last Cruise discussion

The Ending

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Diane Cottet (new)

Diane Cottet What is your opinion on the ending? I hated it. You get to know the characters and then they all die in the end???

Cara Von Tress I was hoping to find a conversation here about the ending, too...
I had to finish and return the book to the library quickly, so I can't go back and re-read the final pages. But, is the final "gray wall" definitely a killer wave, or could it also be the ship arriving to rescue? (Probably a wave, right?) :( I guess, even if the characters die, they have come to some important crossroads and made choices they can personally stand behind.

message 3: by Diane Cottet (new)

Diane Cottet Cara Von Tress wrote: "I was hoping to find a conversation here about the ending, too...
I had to finish and return the book to the library quickly, so I can't go back and re-read the final pages. But, is the final "gray..."

I definitely think it was a killer wave It just came as such a surprise, I never expected that. The characters had some decisions to make and it left us up in the air. Maybe the gray wall IS the ship to save them and they'll be a follow up book.

Our Favorite Customer I was surprised at the ending. They see that shaft of light that looks like the “stairway to Heaven” then a grey wall of water (white veined—definitely a wave), go up, teeter at the top in a green foam then all goes dark. Not sure what was supposed to be happening here? Were they all in some state of life to death transition? Was their acceptance of life a key to accepting their fate with panic? What happened to the lifeboats? They had a spate of unusual and coincidental catastrophes: mutiny, engine failure, norovirus, Fire, broken rescue tug, engine replacement part was the wrong one and a rogue killer wave? I doubt the US Coast Guard would have let this situation get so out of hand; it’s not like they were in enemy waters. I think they’d have boarded the ship, airlifted the sick (well before any died), repaired the engine, hooked up with another cruise/navy ship, and been monitoring the situation with their own boats and copters—especially with a storm on the way. Just look how the US government (Navy Seals) intervened in the Somalian highjacking of that cargo ship with only a handful aboard (true story; film Captain Phillips). In MY mind, they all made it off the ship alive days before the storm. I’m not l going to let faulty author research kill these cruisers.

Lisa Diane Cottet wrote: "What is your opinion on the ending? I hated it. You get to know the characters and then they all die in the end???"

I thought it was a killer wave that suspended them in a final moment of happiness.
Also, it was a bit of a steal from "The Perfect Storm," which ended in exactly the same way, with George Clooney & crew seeing a shaft of light, thinking the storm was ending, then getting nailed by a wave. Boo.