Beta Reader Group discussion

Betas Offering FREE Services > Full. YA/fantasy/crime beta and proofreading offered

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Gemma (last edited Sep 14, 2018 06:02AM) (new)

Gemma | 8 comments Hi there, I’m offering proofreading and beta reading services for free, I would like to build up a reputation as I am just starting out. I’m a prolific reader of fantasy, YA, sci-fi, post apocalyptic, crime novels. Please do get in touch if you think I’m the right person for you.

message 2: by Anna (new)

Anna (aebowman) Hi Gemma! I have a sci-fi/steampunk novel (74k) who I am looking for beta readers on. It's more fiction than science. Here is the blurb:

Rayn only remembers her name and that she is a gunsmith. The only clues to her past are fragmented dreams, and a medallion inscribed with a promise left unfulfilled for five years. When roguish airship Captain, Solomand Black, offers her a job too good to pass up, she seizes the opportunity to leave the dead-end Skyport behind and uncover the truth of her past.

But Solomand is keeping secrets from her and is not who he appears to be.

When a risky plan to break into the Western City of Corcyra goes wrong, she discovers the truth may hurt more than not knowing.

You could start with the first few chapters to see if it's something you might like. If you are interested let me know. Thanks!

message 3: by David (new)

David Burton (goodreadscomdcburtonjr) | 16 comments Hi,
I'm looking for a Beta Reader for a revised edition of a psychological thriller, Fear Killer.
It's a bit graphic in a few scenes if that's a concern.
You can email me at dcburtonjr@gmail.com or reply here.
Thanks for considering Fear Killer.
Cheers.

A cautionary tale, the psychological suspense novel Fear Killer is the story of Emily Perrit, a beautiful but timid young woman victimized by an abusive, adulterous husband. When Emily is attacked by an intruder in her home, she surprises herself by fighting off and finally killing the man. Seeing the fear in his dying eyes, something snaps inside her. She has never made anybody afraid before. She is no longer willing to be a victim. Her need to see that fear again soon becomes an obsession, with deadly consequences.
A Female Detective, Martha Newton, helps her as a victim as she hunts her as a killer.

reply | edit | delete | flag *

message 4: by Gemma (new)

Gemma | 8 comments Gemma wrote: "Hi there, I’m offering proofreading and beta reading services for free, I would like to build up a reputation as I am just starting out. I’m a prolific reader of fantasy, YA, sci-fi, post apocalypt..." Open again for more.

message 5: by David (new)

David McCrae | 4 comments Hello, Gemma,

I'm currently crafting revised editions of two novels, as well as requiring fresh sets of eyes for my 3rd book. All 3 books are a series. The first of these books is ~104,000 words. Genre is Dystopia/Adventure. I'll be requesting that you'd read all three in due time. But for now, I'm just focused on getting book 1 revised.

A widespread non-violent walkout protest has turned the land of Eden on its side. The Causes have turned their backs in defiance of their governing body; a panel of overseers known as the Fifteen. The Causes believe the Fifteen's grip is holding Eden back from a new age of prosperity.

During these protests, Dartmouth comes across a young girl named Mika. She is searching for her father amidst the turmoil of the Revolution. Dartmouth chooses to help her out. In doing so, he sparks a chain of events that will alter the course of the Revolution; potentially rewriting history in the process as the secrets of their world are revealed to them.

If this sounds like it's up your alley, please contact me back. Thanks so much for your consideration.

message 6: by Gemma (new)

Gemma | 8 comments Hi David,

I love dystopian books. Please do drop me a line at cowprintgirl@gmail.com thank you.

Gemma

message 7: by David (new)

David McCrae | 4 comments E-mail sent! Thanks so much!

message 8: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Willis (ashleylynnwillis) | 22 comments Hi Gemma,

You are probably inundated by now but I thought I'd drop you a line. Blurb is below. I can provide a testimonial for your new business for a beta read. The book has been critiqued by three authors already plus partially critiqued by about four others so it's pretty clean.

As a newspaper photographer, Britney Hanson has gladly spent her high school years behind the camera. But when valedictorian Logan Randall asks her to the homecoming dance, she’s ready to step into the limelight. Unfortunately, her skin has other plans.

Zit-apocalypse.

Now she’s hiding from Logan, afraid one look at the carnage on her face will send him to the dance with another girl. Britney can’t let that happen, but with a mom working three jobs to pay the bills, getting medicine is proving impossible.

Desperate times call for desperate measures, and when Britney is offered employment at Resthaven Funeral Home, she begrudgingly accepts. Though photographing dead people isn’t an ideal after-school job, money is money no matter how it’s earned, right?

Surprisingly, she’s not the only teenager employed at Resthaven. Jack Young, heir to the funeral home empire, digs graves and naps in coffins when he’s not riding around town in a vintage hearse. His secrets run as deep as his soulful brown eyes. When her world explodes, he might be the only person who can piece her back together.

DEPTH OF FIELD is a YA Contemporary Romance complete at 80,000 words. Thank you for your consideration.

message 9: by Gemma (new)

Gemma | 8 comments Ashley wrote: "Hi Gemma,

You are probably inundated by now but I thought I'd drop you a line. Blurb is below. I can provide a testimonial for your new business for a beta read. The book has been critiqued by thr..."

Hi Ashley, please do drop me a line at cowprintgirl@gmail.com and I will be happy to help. And yes I am getting full again haha!!

message 10: by Evette (new)

Evette | 43 comments I'm not sure if you'd be interested, but I have a book that is fantasy but based more in reality. You may think of it as tame in that it is low fantasy and more here on Earth. Let me know if you're interested.

I have a finished manuscript which is YA realistic fantasy which bends toward the literary side. The world is basically the same as ours. The time period is different. The society is theologically based. The protagonist is female. It is a mixture of adventure, tragedy, mystery, politics, and hope. There are supernatural elements toward the end but nothing over the top. I need to know where I have flaws, be they developmental or with the plot itself. I prefer sending the file and not copying and pasting.

Very briefly it is a book about a girl looking for her father but becomes entangled in a political conflict which may lead to war between her home country and their enemy to the south. Those living there are runaways who decided to flee south and forge their own country after facing persecution. There's some action as well with smuggling and traveling and stealing.

There is no sex, cursing, or gratuitous violence. I thank you for your time. I greatly appreciate it. If you have time and are interested, please let me know.

If that does not sound interesting to you, then I also have a near historical contemporary YA. I can give more details on that, just let me know.

message 11: by Cassandra (new)

Cassandra Webb (cassandra_webb) | 3 comments Hi Gemma - is your time full up yet? I have an 80k YA medieval-type-fantasy. Doesn’t have to be a detailed read, something fast that points out play flaws only would do me at this stage 😊

Thank you