Gothic Fiction Read-along 2018 discussion

36 views
General > Welcome to Gothic Read-along 2018

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (notestothemoon) | 183 comments Hello! It's that time if year where we all start getting excited about cosy autumn evenings and, more importantly, start nominating books for the Gothic Read-along!

As with previous years we'll choose 3 novels and a short story/poetry collection. We'll go with one classic and a couple of contemporary. I'll put the polls on Twitter to drum up some interest.

If the books we nominate can be around 300 pages or less that would be fab.

Previous books are saved in the group.

Looking forward to it! J x


message 2: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (notestothemoon) | 183 comments The Turn of the Screw has been suggested on Twitter for a classic


message 3: by Leigh (new)

Leigh I’ve been thinking about this a lot since the last one and it got me so excited. Here’s a few recommendations from me:

‘The Silent Companions’ - Laura Purcell,
‘The Uninvited’ - Dorothy Macardle, (a forgotten classic),
‘Nemesis’ - Agatha Christie,
‘Affinity’ - (a shorter) Sarah Waters,
‘Fell’ - Jenn Ashworth,
‘The Burning House’ - Neil Spring,
‘A Skinful of Shadows’ - Frances Hardigne,
‘Her Fearful Symmetry’ - Audrey Niffenegger.


message 4: by Leigh (new)

Leigh Ooh, how about ‘Rebecca’ by Daphne Du Maurier too?


message 5: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (notestothemoon) | 183 comments Always up for reading Rebecca again. I'll have a look through your other suggestions too! I've got the Silent Companions :)


message 6: by Leigh (new)

Leigh Jenny wrote: "The Turn of the Screw has been suggested on Twitter for a classic"

What a good suggestion. It is a short one, but spooky all the same.


message 7: by Leigh (new)

Leigh Jenny wrote: "Always up for reading Rebecca again. I'll have a look through your other suggestions too! I've got the Silent Companions :)"

I think 'The Silent Companions will be good. I'm intrigued by the cover. 'Rebecca' has had a new edition printed either this year or last. There's nothing like some Du Maurer to get the Gothic fires burning. The Agatha Christie one is part of her Miss Marple series, but any of those can be read on their own. Or we could try 'Endless Night' by her, a proper stand-alone. I'm excited to see what books other people suggest.


message 8: by Camilla (new)

Camilla (the_reading_cat_) | 14 comments How about The thirteenth tale by Diane Setterfield?


message 9: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (notestothemoon) | 183 comments I've got a few suggestions.

The Lottery and other stories - Shirley Jackson
The Haunting of Hill House - Shirley Jackson

Something a little different for our fourth option:

The Raven (poem) - Edgar Allen Poe
The Rime of the Ancient Mariner (poem) - Samuel Taylor Coleridge
Dr Faustus (play) - Christopher Marlowe
Macbeth (play) - Shakespeare

What I'll do when we have a good few suggestions is pick a few to put to vote. Based on availability, length, etc.

I'll probably pick 3 classics, 3 modern classics, 3 recent releases and 3 'different' ones and put up four polls on Twitter. Think that's what I did last year.


message 10: by Jenny (last edited Aug 15, 2018 03:40AM) (new)

Jenny (notestothemoon) | 183 comments Camilla wrote: "How about The thirteenth tale by Diane Setterfield?"

I've never read that one, but have owned it for years!


message 11: by Leigh (new)

Leigh ‘Doctor Faustus’ would be good to read again. I studied that for A Level and really enjoyed it. ‘The Raven’ is familiar too. How exciting!


message 12: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (notestothemoon) | 183 comments Leigh wrote: "‘Doctor Faustus’ would be good to read again. I studied that for A Level and really enjoyed it. ‘The Raven’ is familiar too. How exciting!"

Yes think I did it for A Level as well, and Macbeth for GCSE :D


message 13: by Camilla (new)

Camilla (the_reading_cat_) | 14 comments Jenny wrote: "Camilla wrote: "How about The thirteenth tale by Diane Setterfield?"

I've never read that one, but have owned it for years!"


I definetly recommend it! I read it about ten years ago and it might be a bit long, but as I remember it was an easy read.


message 14: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (notestothemoon) | 183 comments Camilla wrote: "Jenny wrote: "Camilla wrote: "How about The thirteenth tale by Diane Setterfield?"

I've never read that one, but have owned it for years!"

I definetly recommend it! I read it about ten years ago ..."


As long as the longer ones are easy reads we should be okay. Problem with Sarah Waters last year is that her work is a little... dense :D


message 15: by Camilla (new)

Camilla (the_reading_cat_) | 14 comments Jenny wrote: "Camilla wrote: "Jenny wrote: "Camilla wrote: "How about The thirteenth tale by Diane Setterfield?"

I've never read that one, but have owned it for years!"

I definetly recommend it! I read it abou..."


Haha I agree :D This one is alot easier (and shorter) :)


message 16: by Jeni (new)

Jeni (jeni_says_so) | 16 comments I want to read The Silent Companions, and the Shirley Jackson one again! I love atheist Turn of the Screw so I’m always happy to read that again!

I feel like some horror pulp would be good! I usually try and get a few Point Horror books in then too.


message 17: by Leigh (new)

Leigh ‘Bird Box’ for a horror, maybe?


message 18: by Jenny (last edited Aug 15, 2018 06:38AM) (new)

Jenny (notestothemoon) | 183 comments I try and steer clear of true horror as I know some people don't like it. As long as something can still be classified as gothic fiction you may get away with it :P

I'm happy to read horror with anyone who wants to though. Love it myself :D

Thought Bird Box was great, they're making it into a film!


message 19: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (notestothemoon) | 183 comments Polls are live on Twitter! 2 days to vote https://twitter.com/notestothemoon/st...


message 20: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (notestothemoon) | 183 comments Results are in folks! We'll be reading:
Frankenstein
The Haunting of Hill House
The Silent Companions
and The Raven.

Close fight between Daphne and Shirley in the end :D


message 21: by Leigh (new)

Leigh Which version of 'Frankenstein' will we be reading Jenny? I've noticed two versions floating about on Kindle.


message 22: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (notestothemoon) | 183 comments Leigh wrote: "Which version of 'Frankenstein' will we be reading Jenny? I've noticed two versions floating about on Kindle."

Urm. Let me take a look :D


message 23: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (notestothemoon) | 183 comments Not sure what the difference in versions are. But whatever this one is https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1... as um, that's the one I own :D


message 24: by Leigh (new)

Leigh Jenny wrote: "Not sure what the difference in versions are. But whatever this one is https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1... as um, that's the one I own :D"

Hi Jenny. There are two that I have seen. The original published in 1818 and then the revised edition in 1831. As for the version you have, it should say in the first few pages.


message 25: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (notestothemoon) | 183 comments Leigh wrote: "Jenny wrote: "Not sure what the difference in versions are. But whatever this one is https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1... as um, that's the one I own :D"

Hi Jenny. There are t..."


In that case, I will check when I get home this evening :)


message 26: by Leigh (new)

Leigh From what I can see, the Kindle edition linked to the Goodreads link that you've sent is the 1831 edition which is free for everybody. If you could check later though, that'd be great.


message 27: by Leigh (new)

Leigh I’ve just placed a hold at my library for ‘The Haunting of Hill House’ and ‘The Silent Companions’. Fingers crossed they will arrive in time.


message 28: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (notestothemoon) | 183 comments Leigh wrote: "I’ve just placed a hold at my library for ‘The Haunting of Hill House’ and ‘The Silent Companions’. Fingers crossed they will arrive in time."

You've reminded me that I need to get hold of the Shirley Jackson one. Or I might have it... That's probably a sign I own too many books!


message 29: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (notestothemoon) | 183 comments Not long now!! Gothic fiction at the ready!!!


message 30: by Ishtar (new)

 Ishtar (urban_decay) | 1 comments Can I suggest The Legend of Sleepy Hollow and The Cask of Amontillado?


message 31: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (notestothemoon) | 183 comments Ishtar wrote: "Can I suggest The Legend of Sleepy Hollow and The Cask of Amontillado?"

Hi Ishtar. We've chosen the books for this year, but definitely worth remembering those for next year.


message 32: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (notestothemoon) | 183 comments Today is the day. Are you ready to begin? Frankenstein at the ready!


message 33: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (notestothemoon) | 183 comments Thank you to everyone that took part in the Gothic Readalong 2018. I hope you enjoyed our selection, or at least taking part. I'm already thinking about 2019 :D


message 34: by Leigh (last edited Nov 02, 2018 05:36AM) (new)

Leigh Jenny wrote: "Thank you to everyone that took part in the Gothic Readalong 2018. I hope you enjoyed our selection, or at least taking part. I'm already thinking about 2019 :D"

Thank YOU Jenny for organising another successful read-along this year. I have enjoyed being part of it and also discovering some new authors.


back to top