Play Book Tag discussion

Archive: Other Books > Harry Potter & the Cursed Child: 1 Star

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kimberly (last edited Aug 15, 2018 09:07AM) (new)

Kimberly Ann (auntie-nanuuq) | 753 comments Harry Potter and the Cursed Child - Parts One and Two (Harry Potter, #8) by John Tiffany

Harry Potter & the Cursed Child, Rowling, Tiffany, & Thorne

I should have listened to myself when I said: "Kimberly-Ann, don't read this, you're not going to like it", because I was Spot On the Mark!

Why? Why was this written?

What a bunch of whiny unlikable people..... Why did Rowling have to ruin a wonderful set of characters & a wonderful series? It is not like she needed the money....

Sometimes (and this is one of those times) it is Best to Leave Excellent Alone. You Can Not Improve on Great, to try to do so ruins everything...

The End of Book Seven needed to Remain The End..

So anticlimactic, so disappointing, so-so-so Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh!

New & Improved 99.9% of the time ISN'T and this book proves it.

My small consolation, I didn't have to pay for it

Now I get it:

Fan Fiction, yep, no wonder it was gawd awful.... Someone had a fantasy to be a great writer & didn't have an original thought, except maybe: "what if...." and it just didn't play out well.

message 2: by KateNZ (new)

KateNZ | 2672 comments I started it and haven’t been able to finish it yet. I wanted to love it, but it just wasn’t working for me. I’d go to see it on stage though, given the chance

message 3: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments I didn’t read your review as I have tickets to go and see it next year here in Melbourne. I purposefully never read the script as I didn’t want it to tarnish my experience of watching it.

message 4: by annapi (last edited Aug 15, 2018 01:28PM) (new)

annapi | 5159 comments While I didn't hate this, I didn't think it really enhance the original books either. I do wonder if it's different to see it on stage, but I still find it hard to believe it won the Tony for best play.

message 5: by Kimberly (last edited Aug 15, 2018 07:48AM) (new)

Kimberly Ann (auntie-nanuuq) | 753 comments (view spoiler)

We all know Bellatrix died, Mrs. Weasley killed her: We Read It & We Saw It... so how is it she is now in Azkaban?

The characters were so different than they were in the book..... Except Ron, He's still a Gormless Prat!

message 6: by Ann☕ (new)

Ann☕ (ann_reads) | 176 comments Kimberly, I can understand your reaction. I read the book to satisfy my curiosity but I didn't love it either. Even taking into account the actual performance of the play might be better than reading the book, I sometimes wish they had left the HP series alone.

message 7: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly Ann (auntie-nanuuq) | 753 comments Ann R wrote: "Kimberly, I can understand your reaction. I read the book to satisfy my curiosity but I didn't love it either. Even taking into account the actual performance of the play might be better than readi..."

I usually do not like plays.... I don't find them believable and usually the acting (well it is obvious it is acting).... I prefer movies.

message 8: by Amy N. (new)

Amy N. | 256 comments I've heard that watching it is a much better experience than reading it, but there's a youtube video that deconstructs why this doesn't work as a Harry Potter story for anyone interested: https://youtu.be/rq-9BnHPjsY

message 9: by Sushicat (new)

Sushicat | 805 comments I was tempted - not anymore! Thanks!

message 10: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly Ann (auntie-nanuuq) | 753 comments Amy N. wrote: "I've heard that watching it is a much better experience than reading it, but there's a youtube video that deconstructs why this doesn't work as a Harry Potter story for anyone interested: https://y..."

I can give you several reasons... but they are spoilers

message 11: by Elise (new)

Elise (ellinou) Love your review haha!

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Okay so for someone who has not yet read Harry Potter but hopes to soon what book is this? Is this one of her newer ones?

message 13: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly Ann (auntie-nanuuq) | 753 comments Rachel wrote: "Okay so for someone who has not yet read Harry Potter but hopes to soon what book is this? Is this one of her newer ones?"

No, it is fan fiction written by two other people & she had some input into it...

It is a play.

message 14: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 8432 comments Rachel wrote: "Okay so for someone who has not yet read Harry Potter but hopes to soon what book is this? Is this one of her newer ones?"

Don't bother with it Rachel-stick to the original series-this one was a loser

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks guys. This is helpful.:)

message 16: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly Ann (auntie-nanuuq) | 753 comments Rachel wrote: "Thanks guys. This is helpful.:)"

Happy to be of service

message 17: by Theresa (new)

Theresa | 8421 comments I both read it (only in anticipation of seeing the show to be honest) and saw the show and here's my take:

1. It is extremely weak to read, but the play itself does fair better when seen performed. It's still not great.
2. It really adds nothing to the series, and I consider it as separate - derivative - from that. No need to read it to be honest.
3. The show as a whole is absolutely amazing -- no spoilers I promise because you really need to experience it #keepthesecrets. I am an avid theater goer for over 40 years, and I can honestly say I've never seen a play or even a musical production like it - not Phantom of the Opera, Les Miserables, Angels in America, Lion King. But it's the production that is astounding and wonderful, not the play.
4. If you are a compleatist or an HP Superfan, and just have to read it, I suggest trying the audio version. I always find plays, even Shakespeare and Arthur Miller, very flat to read. Not surprising as they are written to be heard and seen. Hence, I believe an audio version would work better. It's still weak.

message 18: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments Theresa, thanks for your comments. It makes me feel like I made the right decision to wait until I saw it rather than reading it first. Now to hold out until May!

message 19: by Kimberly (last edited Aug 22, 2018 06:42PM) (new)

Kimberly Ann (auntie-nanuuq) | 753 comments Synopsis: Possible Spoilers

Harry & Ginny's (Weasley) sons are at odds with each other
The eldest, James Sirius, excels at magick & teases his younger brother incessantly

The youngest, Albus Severus, tends to be quieter and is uncomfortable in his relationship w/ his father. Albus feels pressured into living up to the legend that is Harry.

Albus is sorted into Slytherin House & befriends Scorpius Malfoy (who many believe is the son of Voldemort).

Together they are manipulated by Delphi (Amos Diggory's nurse) into believing that it was Harry's fault Cedric was murdered and into attempting to stop the murder of Cedric Diggory by stealing a new & improved version of a Time-Turner (which Harry as Minister of Magic has illegally kept & Hermione has hidden in her Ministry office), causing all Hell to break loose as the two travel back & forth between the past & the present

(view spoiler)

Not only did I find this ludicrous, but it directly contradicted the fact that Bellatrix Lestrange was killed in book seven by Mrs. Weasley, among taking other liberties with the original story.

Read more here: http://harrypotter.wikia.com/wiki/Alb...