Cozy Mysteries discussion

Dorothy St. James
This topic is about Dorothy St. James
Featured Cozy Authors > Featured Author - September 2018 - Dorothy St. James

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Heather L , Cozy Mysteries Moderator (new)

Heather L  (wordtrix) | 22004 comments Mod
Our featured author for this month is Dorothy St. James. Ms. St. James and her husband make their home in an artsy island community in South Carolina. In 2001, she turned to writing fiction full time, prior to which she worked in all levels and branches of government. In addition to her two fiction series, she also writes romance as Dorothy McFalls. Among her writing influences, she cites Julie Hyzy, Kate Collins and Elizabeth Peters.

You can find her online at www.dorothystjames.com.

White House Gardener series:

1. Flowerbed of State
2. The Scarlet Pepper
3. Oak and Dagger

Southern Chocolate Shop series:

1. Asking for Truffle
2. Playing With Bonbon Fire (Paperback, Aug 7)
3. In Cold Chocolate: A Southern Chocolate Shop Mystery (Hardcover and ebook, Sept 11)

message 2: by Heather L , Cozy Mysteries Moderator (new)

By the way, Asking for Truffle is currently only $1.99 for both Kindle and Nook.

Flowerbed of State is $2.99 for both devices.

message 3: by Aymee (new)

Aymee (asphaltcowgrrl) Heather L wrote: "By the way, Asking for Truffle is currently only $1.99 for both Kindle and Nook.

Flowerbed of State is $2.99 for both devices."

Score! I borrowed a hard copy of the first from the library, but an ebook is so much easier for me to handle.

message 4: by Heather L , Cozy Mysteries Moderator (new)

Glad to make your day, Aymee! 😊

message 5: by Donna (new)

Donna | 27 comments Thanks to Heather, I also scored, getting Asking for Truffle for my Kindle. Apparently I already read Flowerbed of State and The Scarlet Pepper. I liked the first well enough,but only gave the second 2 stars. I'm giving the series another try and am getting Oak and Dagger from the library.

message 6: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (cindypp) | 168 comments I read Playing With Bonbon Fire back in November of last year. I had received an ARC. I really liked it. Just bought the first book in that series and preordered the next.

message 7: by Alice (new)

Alice | 2525 comments I finished Playing With Bonbon Fire (A Southern Chocolate Shop Mystery, #2) by Dorothy St. James
This is book 2 in the series. I wasn't crazy about book one in the series, but I liked her white house garden series so I thought I would give book 2 a chance. Well not that thrilled with book 2 either. I think real problem is I just don't like the main character and or most of the characters in the book. Don't like the dog either.....

message 8: by Linda (new)

Linda (rudylkr) | 7839 comments I read Asking for Truffle and enjoyed it. It was a good vacation read. I've also read Flowerbed of State and think I enjoyed it (at least I'd read book 2).

message 9: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Ransom | 5 comments Hey all! I just checked out Playing with Bonbon Fire from the library! I was hoping to get Asking for Truffle but this one was on hold. I see this series is set in my state of SC which is neat! I am surprised I never heard of the author until now though.

message 10: by Heather L , Cozy Mysteries Moderator (new)

I also enjoyed Asking for Truffle, and look forward to getting my hands on book two.

message 11: by BJ Rose (new)

BJ Rose (bjrose) | 1887 comments I'm reading Flowerbed of State and (mostly) enjoying it. It started out with a bang, but it has somewhat fizzled - I gardened for many years so expected to really enjoy this. I'm now 1/3 of the way through but it's not keeping me up late.

message 12: by Aymee (new)

Aymee (asphaltcowgrrl) I finished Asking for Truffle on Saturday and really enjoyed it. Almost bought the next in the series since it was only $1.99 on Kindle but resisted - I have so many others I need to read first.

message 13: by Trish (last edited Sep 20, 2018 11:37PM) (new)

Trish (trishhartuk) | 309 comments BJ Rose wrote: "I'm reading Flowerbed of State and (mostly) enjoying it. It started out with a bang, but it has somewhat fizzled - I gardened for many years so expected to really enjoy this. I'm now 1/3 of the way through but it's not keeping me up late."

I know what you mean. It grabbed my interest at the beginning, but as it went on, it began to annoy me.

While some of the supporting characters are okay (and I liked Turner and Gordon), Casey seemed pig-headed to the point of stupidity. I'm afraid that from about halfway through the book I started hoping that her theory on the murder being related to the banking hearings was wrong - it just didn't seem plausible that the highly trained investigators wouldn't have followed that thread themselves - so she'd look stupid, and get fired.

Julie Hyzy does a White House cozy much better in my view.

message 14: by Donna (new)

Donna | 27 comments Just finished Oak and Dagger. Liked it a lot better than The Scarlet Pepper. Now on to Asking for Truffle.

message 15: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 8 comments Finished Asking for Truffle (A Southern Chocolate Shop Mystery, #1) by Dorothy St. James yesterday. It took me a bit to warm up to the MC but was worth forging ahead. By the end I was interested in seeing where the series will go and have already requested the second from my library.
Will start Flowerbed of State (A White House Gardener Mystery, #1) by Dorothy St. James later today!

message 16: by Aymee (new)

Aymee (asphaltcowgrrl) Amanda wrote: "Finished Asking for Truffle (A Southern Chocolate Shop Mystery, #1) by Dorothy St. James yesterday. It took me a bit to warm up to the MC but was worth forging ahead. By the end I was interested in seeing where the series will go and hav..."

I agree with you about Penn. I get why she has so much resentment towards her family, but it was a bit much at the beginning. It made me happy to see her shed some of it by the end of the book. I'm anxious to read the next as well.

message 17: by BJ Rose (new)

BJ Rose (bjrose) | 1887 comments BJ Rose wrote: "I'm reading Flowerbed of State and (mostly) enjoying it. It started out with a bang, but it has somewhat fizzled - I gardened for many years so expected to really enjoy this. I'm now..."

Finally finished this and gave it 3*. I agree with Trish about Casey acting stupid and pigheaded. I really dislike it when the amateur seems to figure out things that the professionals haven't a clue about, but Turner was the one who kept me going.

message 18: by Jo (new)

Jo | 13 comments I read the White House Gardener series years ago (2011, 2014, 2014). I looked back at what I wrote about them, and it looks like I enjoyed the stories, but was annoyed with Casey's jumping to conclusions.

I just read Asking for Truffle. I did have trouble connecting to Penn, but I plan to read the remainder of the series.

message 19: by Donna (new)

Donna | 27 comments I finished Asking for Truffle Asking for Truffle (A Southern Chocolate Shop Mystery, #1) by Dorothy St. James . I found Penn rather annoying for most of the book, but by the end of the book I wanted to know what happens next. So I have Playing With Bonbon Fire Playing With Bonbon Fire (A Southern Chocolate Shop Mystery, #2) by Dorothy St. James up next on my Kindle.

message 20: by Aymee (new)

Aymee (asphaltcowgrrl) Donna wrote: "I finished Asking for TruffleAsking for Truffle (A Southern Chocolate Shop Mystery, #1) by Dorothy St. James. I found Penn rather annoying for most of the book, but by the end of the book I wanted to know what happens nex..."

That's how I felt for the first half or so of the book. Once she started to enjoy being there (I'm forgetting the name of the town), she was much less annoying.

message 21: by Clare (new)

Clare O'Beara | 26 comments I agree that Penn was an angry young woman at the start and improved as she relaxed and realised people would rather surf than think about her family and fame.
Would she have fallen for the letter? I tend to think not. She must get phishing scams all the time.