Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Policies & Practices > Adapter or Adaptor Role. Spelling?

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ed (new)

Ed Erwin | 82 comments Should we try to use the role "Adaptor" or "Adapter" ? Both are accepted spellings in English, but should we prefer one or the other to keep things neat?

message 2: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 45482 comments Mod
Since bother are accepted spellings, either is fine.

message 3: by Ed (new)

Ed Erwin | 82 comments Good, because I probably wouldn't remember which one to prefer!

message 4: by Scott (new)

Scott | 25061 comments I think "adaptor" sounds more badass.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 7166 comments I think only adapter looks correct.

message 6: by Ed (new)

Ed Erwin | 82 comments Both are used frequently. See http://grammarist.com/spelling/adapte...

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 7166 comments Ed wrote: "Both are used frequently. See http://grammarist.com/spelling/adapte..."

Yes, we know.

message 8: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 45482 comments Mod
Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "I think only adapter looks correct."

Scott wrote: "I think "adaptor" sounds more badass."

And right there you see why trying to mandate one over the other would be doomed to failure.

message 9: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 26907 comments I use both :)

message 10: by Emy (new)

Emy (emypt) | 5038 comments I use whichever doesn't get squiggly red lines!

message 11: by Ed (new)

Ed Erwin | 82 comments rivka wrote: "And right there you see why trying to mandate one over the other would be doom..."

I brought this up because on the page for editing a book, there is a pop-up message on the "role" field asking us to try to "keep it consistent" by using a smaller number of terms. (All of the suggested terms coincidentally end in "-or".)

On a book I've recently rated, someone had put "Adapted by". I was wondering whether to change to "Adaptor". On the book title page itself, it actually says "Adapted and Updated by". (And it is a very significant update.) Oh, well, I'm leaving it as-is and you can change it if you want: Gulliver's Travels.

message 12: by Emy (new)

Emy (emypt) | 5038 comments Ed wrote: "On the book title page itself, it actually says "Adapted and Updated by". (And it is a very significant update.)"

In situations like this, I prefer to ensure that the longer description on responsibility is in the body of the description, and leave the "role" field to a shorter summary, e.g. just adaptor.