Play Book Tag discussion

Michael Tolliver Lives (Tales of the City, #7)
This topic is about Michael Tolliver Lives
Archive: Other Books > Michael Tolliver Lives / Armistead Maupin - 3***

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 6407 comments Michael Tolliver Lives (Tales of the City, #7) by Armistead Maupin
Michael Tolliver Lives – Armistead Maupin
Audiobook read by the author.
3***
Eighteen years after “finishing” his Tales of the City Series in 1989, Maupin returned to the beloved characters and gave readers a 7th installment. NOTE: Spoilers ahead if you haven’t read the first six books in the series When the series ended, Michael had been diagnosed as HIV positive. In the ‘80s this was still considered a death sentence, but advances in treatment changed that, hence the title.

Michael has a landscaping business and a new husband. He’s dealing with what many middle-aged people face – the decline of our elderly parents. But he moves forward as best he can. Enjoying his work, his life and his friends. Mary Ann and Anna Madrigal make appearances as well, but the focus is really on Michael. I really like the way these characters support and love one another.

I’m not easily shocked, and have no illusions about gay sex, but there are a couple of sex scenes that made me a little uncomfortable. If you’re turned off by that, this may not be the book (or series) for you.

Maupin read the audiobook himself. He’s not a trained voice artist, but he’s so invested in these characters that I can’t imagine anyone else doing a better job. There’s a bonus interview with the author at the end of the audiobook. Maupin comments that he was “blushing furiously” when reading those aforementioned sex scenes.

LINK to my review

message 2: by KateNZ (new) - added it

KateNZ | 2674 comments I’d forgotten he’d written a follow-up. Is now on the TBR and it makes me want to read ‘Tales of the City’ all over again!

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 6407 comments I think he's written one or two more after this one.