Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Children of Blood and Bone (Legacy of Orïsha, #1)
This topic is about Children of Blood and Bone
Previous BRs - Authors; A - D > Adeyemi, Tomi--Children of Blood and Bone --informal buddy read starts August 20, 2018

Comments Showing 1-50 of 93 (93 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new) - added it

Moderators of NBRC | 31609 comments Mod
This thread is open to discuss Children of Blood and Bone by Tomi Adeyemi.

Synopsis
They killed my mother.
They took our magic.
They tried to bury us.

Now we rise.

Zélie Adebola remembers when the soil of Orïsha hummed with magic. Burners ignited flames, Tiders beckoned waves, and Zélie’s Reaper mother summoned forth souls.

But everything changed the night magic disappeared. Under the orders of a ruthless king, maji were killed, leaving Zélie without a mother and her people without hope.

Now Zélie has one chance to bring back magic and strike against the monarchy. With the help of a rogue princess, Zélie must outwit and outrun the crown prince, who is hell-bent on eradicating magic for good.

Danger lurks in Orïsha, where snow leoponaires prowl and vengeful spirits wait in the waters. Yet the greatest danger may be Zélie herself as she struggles to control her powers and her growing feelings for an enemy.

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new) - added it

res

message 3: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new) - added it

res

Karima chermiti (karichma) | 59 comments Okay guys, how do you want to do this, We can keep it informal or we can decide on the numbers of chapters we could read per day together. Just let me know what you prefer. I'm okay with either choice

Rick Brose (headrollsoff) This is my first time doing this, so I am not totally sure what to expect. I am fine either way. I work well when I have firm goals to achieve, so if I had to pick between the two, I think chapters to read each day would be my preference.

Berenice Martinez | 21 comments I agree, Karima would you like to split up the chapters and dates? And sorry for the late response guys I work over night so I just settled down at work.

Karima chermiti (karichma) | 59 comments Sorry I didn't see the replies sooner
okay, now, we can split the chapters and dates like this :

20/08/2018 : from the start to chapter 7
21/08/2018 : chapter 8 ----> chapter 15
22/08/2018 ; chapter 16 ----> chapter 22
23/08/2018 : chapter 23 ----> chapter 30
24/08/2018 : chapter 31 ----> chapter 38
25/08/2018 : chapter 39 ----> chapter 45
26/08/2018 : chapter 46 ----> chapter 53
27/08/2018 : chapter 54 ----> chapter 61
28/08/2018 : chapter 62 ----> chapter 69
29/08/2018 : chapter 70 ----> chapter 77
30/08/2018 : chapter 78 ---->epilogue

If you want to change anything you totally can, like if you want to read more or less than the chapters that I picked, it's absolutely fine. just let me know what you think and we can modify anything you want :)

Rick Brose (headrollsoff) That looks good to me. Thanks for taking the time to split it up.

Karima chermiti (karichma) | 59 comments Rick wrote: "That looks good to me. Thanks for taking the time to split it up."

Not at all :)

Don't forget that it's okay if you want to read more or less than that.
We can keep it flexible and I hope we end up enjoying the book, all three of us :)

Berenice Martinez | 21 comments Awesome I'm super excited to start lol and yes thank you Karima!

Karima chermiti (karichma) | 59 comments Berenice wrote: "Awesome I'm super excited to start lol and yes thank you Karima!"

not at all, Berenice, it was a pleasure
I'm super excited too. :)

message 12: by Karima (last edited Aug 20, 2018 12:14PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Karima chermiti (karichma) | 59 comments Hi guys , hope you had a great day
so today I managed to read the first 7 chapters of the book and it's so good so far.

I liked the fact that there are multiple point of views, that way we'll get to see a well rounded world from different perspectives. I 'm not sure yet about the direction the author is gonna take with the plot but I have some thoughts.
I can't wait to see what you thought about the book so far

Berenice Martinez | 21 comments I love it so far and I agree I’m glad that she is showing everyone’s point of view. I also like the fact that she’s really descriptive with each character and that she’s making a point to show the weight the color of the characters hair and skin carry and the negative impact it has on them for example when Bisi asks why they are hated so much. Can’t wait to see how they change all this or if it will change at all.

Karima chermiti (karichma) | 59 comments Berenice wrote: "I love it so far and I agree I’m glad that she is showing everyone’s point of view. I also like the fact that she’s really descriptive with each character and that she’s making a point to show the ..."

yeah, I totally agree with you, I think she's going to be exploring the oppression they're living more in the rest of the book.

message 15: by Rick (new) - rated it 3 stars

Rick Brose (headrollsoff) I am enjoying it so far too. It took a couple chapters to grab me, but by the end of chapter 7, the pace is feeling good.

I got worried early on, because in the first few sentences there was a foreign word (for the reed hut). I was like 'oh great, I am going to be buried in strange words and concepts that get me lost.' But, I think the author has done a great job of letting us readers understand the concepts she is presenting. Even when she does not explicitly tell us what certain things are, the context is enough to get it. Some other examples are the jewelry and dress of the royalty, or the familiar but morphed version of the animals in the story. It is very cool.

I agree with you both about the different perspectives. I enjoyed how the Demon Cycle had a similar way of telling the story. It keeps things fresh, and helps gain insight from various outlooks.

There are three things that have stuck out with me so far.

1) I feel anxious about the sexual violence towards women. There have been two instances where it seemed rape was going to be imminent. In one way, it has shown the power imbalance with the soldiers and the maggots. On the other, I am really hoping that we do not see the main characters fall prey to the actual act. Rape is a hard thing to use effectively.

2) The portrayal of racism in the book is powerful. Berenice, I am totally with you on the way skin and hair color is used so effectively. It will be interesting to dive more into that aspect of the culture. I suspect I will be angry many times over. That is partially because our world right now (and the US in particular) feels so full of hate. It makes me sad and mad. But I like when books tackle those kinds of subjects.

3) I am very interested to see what type of magic Zélie ends up with. Actually, I am interested in exploring the magic in the world in general. I like how it is split into different types, and I want to know more about it all. Do you think she will get her mother's type of magic?

So far, the book has done a good job of hooking me, and making me want to know more.

Karima chermiti (karichma) | 59 comments Rick wrote: "I am enjoying it so far too. It took a couple chapters to grab me, but by the end of chapter 7, the pace is feeling good.

I got worried early on, because in the first few sentences there was a for..."

I agree with you about the use of those words the author came up with. I was worried she'll be over using them but that wasn't problem because she was good at creating a clear context when things are well explained.

About the two incidents of sexual abuse, I think the author is trying to say that nothing in the world of people who has potential for magic is safe, not their home, not their lives, not their bodies.
The message she's trying to send is a powerful one and I think that even though this book is fantasy it still resonates with us who live in a real world where these things still happen.

message 17: by Rick (new) - rated it 3 stars

Rick Brose (headrollsoff) Karima wrote: "Rick wrote: "I am enjoying it so far too. It took a couple chapters to grab me, but by the end of chapter 7, the pace is feeling good.

I got worried early on, because in the first few sentences th..."

I think you are right, and I do not have a problem with writers including sexual abuse when it makes sense. Sometimes it is a lazy way to make things feel dangerous or spur on character growth. In this case, it does not feel like either of those. Especially since it has not actually happened to Zélie. I guess I am hoping that if she needs to be broken in her journey, it will be by another means.

That being said, I do think it was powerful, cause when it was first introduced as a possibility, it made me physically uncomfortable. And I am sure that is exactly how I was supposed to feel.

Karima chermiti (karichma) | 59 comments Rick wrote: "Karima wrote: "Rick wrote: "I am enjoying it so far too. It took a couple chapters to grab me, but by the end of chapter 7, the pace is feeling good.

I got worried early on, because in the first f..."

I totally agree with you, I think the Zélie as a main character will have to go through a journey maybe about discovering her powers and who she is and what she meant to do but i don't think it will be a smooth one at all

Berenice Martinez | 21 comments I agree with you both the second time rape was brought up I was sure it was going to happen to Zelie, but I think the author has done an awesome job of showing how strong willed she can be and how she can hold her own.

It’s definitely hope that she does get her mother’s powers because in a way that will really help her feel that much more connected to her, but I suspect that the author might have greater plans for that so I am excited to see that.

I’m also intrigued by this strange connection that Zelie and Inan feel when they first see each other eye to eye as Zelie and his sister are escaping, I wonder if anything will actually happen between them and if so how will this affect his future kingdom will it help restore the maji or get himself killed.

message 20: by Rick (new) - rated it 3 stars

Rick Brose (headrollsoff) I've read today's chapters, so hold off on reading this until you have too. I don't want to inadvertently ruin anything for you.

I think it has become more clear that Zélie has at least part of her mother's powers. She has some kind of connection with the dead. However, I feel like when she realizes her full powers, it might be a hybrid or a boosted up version of that type of power.

I was slightly confused by the connection between Zélie and Inan when they first see each other. I couldn't tell what was trying to be portrayed there. I wasn't sure if it was a literal shock between them or if it was more a metaphor. Now that I have read the next part, it is interesting to see that it is actually due to a power within Inan. I am curious to see how that connection with them plays out. Does it wear off after time? Will he be able to read her mind as he gains control of it? Can she push back at all since she also has magic in her blood?

In that section, Zélie mentions that Inan has royal magic and that it has not been seen for a long time. Did I miss something earlier on? Did they mention royal magic as being different from the type of magic that the magi have? Or is that something they will explore further? It made it seem like two distinct things.

message 21: by Rick (new) - rated it 3 stars

Rick Brose (headrollsoff) After reading today's chapters, my mind is mostly stuck on what is actually true or not in regards to magic and the rulers of these places.

It is now obvious that Amari and Inan's father is a terrible man. He was abusive to his kids. He committed genocide. He has an extreme amount of hatred in his heart for this race of magic users. He is a brutal ruler that will kill without hesitation. He is not a good person.

In some of the Inan chapters, Inan has begun to realize everything his father has done. But it is also in the context of believing all these things his father has said about the magic users and how they were mad with power. How they destroyed these other civilizations. Do you think there is any truth to that? Not that I think it makes the response or the prejudice right. I am uncertain if the magi have just been discriminated against, or if some of them also were terrible like the king. Did some of them become power hungry, and use that in ways that were just as bad as the rulers? Usually when it comes to politics, things are not so cut and dry / good versus bad. There are layers of right and wrong on both sides. I don't say that to justify genocide. I just wonder how much of the perspective that has been taught to Amari and Inan is completely false, and how much holds some truth to it.

It also makes me wonder about the ultimate outcome. If magic comes back, what will the retaliation of the magic users look like? Will they become as evil as those who oppressed them? I do not think someone like Zélie would ever be like that. But she won't be the only magic user. And it is not uncommon for people that overthrow terrible systems of rule to replace it with something equally as terrible over time.

message 22: by Karima (last edited Aug 21, 2018 08:06AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Karima chermiti (karichma) | 59 comments Rick wrote: "I've read today's chapters, so hold off on reading this until you have too. I don't want to inadvertently ruin anything for you.

I think it has become more clear that Zélie has at least part of he..."

I agree with you about Zélie's powers, she's like her mother but she's not yet in full control so I think we'll get to see her discover herself more in this book. But I also think there's possibility that she'll be even more powerful than her mother.

Inan chapters are for me really important, with Zélie's chapters we get to see the way those with potential of magic are treated and how they live their lives in fear. with Amari chapters we get to see one facade of those in power, she's sympathetic and her relationship with Binti highlights that she's different from her father but Inan chapters are the ones with more nuance, he knows that what's happening is horrible but he also believes that magic is something dangerous and it needs to be destroyed so he's torn more the other two characters who has clear motivations and goals.

I don't think we'll get to see the outcome in this book, after all this is the first one in a fantasy series and I think it's gonna be maybe the focus of the coming books.

as for their father, I like to knwo more about him, he's clearly the big bad of this book and for the villains to work out for me as a character, I need them to have motivations that somehow make a little sense or at least a complexity to their characters. For now I'm intrigued enough by him and I'd like to get to understand more the reasoning behind all the horrible things he's done.

I'm not saying that there's something that we'll make all the things that happened easy for me but villains always tend to think they're doing everything for the greater good, it is the case here? we'll have to wait and see.

About the connection between Inan and Zélie, do you think guys that somehow their powers are connected?

Berenice Martinez | 21 comments I think that Inan’s maji goes back to the first chapter where Mama Agba is talking about the history of Orisha, remember she says there were 10 clans and over time they became the first kings and queens of Orisha but that they started abusing their power so their magic was taken and their white hair disappeared as a sign of their sin what if Inan’s father is a descendent of the Emi clan and he was the first to get his powers taken? That would explain his anger towards the maji.

I agree with what you said about Zelie’s powers I also think that maybe her magic will be greater then her mothers.

Berenice Martinez | 21 comments I think I mean out of all the people he could’ve conjured to his mind that night it was Zelie, why not his sister?

Karima I agree Inan’s chapters are very pivotal in this story line you can already see that he’s starting to doubt his father’s ways and that even though he still believes that putting his country before himself is more important that maybe the way his father goes about things are not the best way or the right way to do it.

Karima chermiti (karichma) | 59 comments Berenice wrote: "I think that Inan’s maji goes back to the first chapter where Mama Agba is talking about the history of Orisha, remember she says there were 10 clans and over time they became the first kings and q..."

I think you had a solid point about Inan's magic, maybe he has magic in his blood but it's so faint that it didn't manifest so strongly

Karima chermiti (karichma) | 59 comments Berenice wrote: "I think I mean out of all the people he could’ve conjured to his mind that night it was Zelie, why not his sister?

Karima I agree Inan’s chapters are very pivotal in this story line you can alread..."

I think there's some connection yet to be explored about Inan's and Zélie's magic, maybe he can only conjure people with magic

message 27: by Rick (new) - rated it 3 stars

Rick Brose (headrollsoff) Berenice wrote: "I think that Inan’s maji goes back to the first chapter where Mama Agba is talking about the history of Orisha, remember she says there were 10 clans and over time they became the first kings and q..."

Okay, I did not remember the specifics about the kings and queens in that section. Thanks for the reminder. I think that theory is definitely possible. If it was not him specifically, then one of his family, and that bitterness could have been passed down through generations. It does feel like there is some jealousy entwined in the hatred for the magic users, and that explains a lot if their line use to have it. That would tie back into some of the motivation of the villain too.

message 28: by Rick (new) - rated it 3 stars

Rick Brose (headrollsoff) Karima wrote: "Berenice wrote: "I think I mean out of all the people he could’ve conjured to his mind that night it was Zelie, why not his sister?

Karima I agree Inan’s chapters are very pivotal in this story li..."

I look forward to more of Inan's chapters. Right now, he has the potential to turn against his father, or to end up becoming even worse. If his magic fuels a self-hatred within him, he could strike out against all magic harshly as a means to try and redeem his own person internally. That can be dangerous. The connection with Zélie could play an important part in keeping him from that path.

Berenice Martinez | 21 comments Karima you might have a point, it’s going to be interesting to see how their power and relationship unfolds.

Rick that might also be why he had his first wife and eldest son killed, maybe they had maji too but since he didn’t he might have been jealous or was trying to hid the fact that he or one of his ancestors had maji and didn’t want his country to know because he was targeting people with maji. I hope she gives us more answers soon lol

Karima chermiti (karichma) | 59 comments So far the story is focusing on 4 characters and each one of them shows us through his character one side of the story, the fact that we have two sets of siblings is interesting, we have two characters from the monarchy who have different opinions about magic, funny how the one who's convinced that magic is evil ends up being a Magi himself

the other two characters are just common people, one of them is gifted, one of the is not but they're living all the same. but they behave differently, Zélie is more on the reckless and her brother is more careful. the way they lost their mother affected them but in completely different ways and I appreciate the fact that the author took her time to write characters with different insights.

Erica (thebrokenspine) | 22 comments I hope it's not to late to join in. I read it a couple if weeks, but would love to discuss it.

Berenice Martinez | 21 comments Of course not we’re only on day two

Karima chermiti (karichma) | 59 comments Erica wrote: "I hope it's not to late to join in. I read it a couple if weeks, but would love to discuss it."

Of course, you can join us :)

Berenice Martinez | 21 comments Erica will you be re-reading along with us?

message 35: by Rick (new) - rated it 3 stars

Rick Brose (headrollsoff) Today's reading did not hook me as much as the last two days. I don't know what it was. I can't point to any one thing.

I did enjoy getting a little more background on the history / mythology of magic. I think I would be happy reading a book of just that for this world.

It was also nice to get a better understanding of what the scroll actually is. I don't know if I was zoning out or not at the time, but did they say how the scroll got to be where it was?

It was also cool to see a magician in full power. However, I had a problem with the two animals getting thrown off the cliff. It seemed unnecessary and inhumane. Let the animals be! They are just doing what they were trained to do.

message 36: by Rick (new) - rated it 3 stars

Rick Brose (headrollsoff) Erica wrote: "I hope it's not to late to join in. I read it a couple if weeks, but would love to discuss it."

Welcome to the discussion. Happy to have you.

Karima chermiti (karichma) | 59 comments Rick wrote: "Today's reading did not hook me as much as the last two days. I don't know what it was. I can't point to any one thing.

I did enjoy getting a little more background on the history / mythology of m..."

I know what you're talking about because I felt the same way and I think it has to do with the pacing of the book, I think it's not well balanced enough and at times the story loses momentum because the author needs to reveal a lot of information in a classic way.

I don't understand why is Zélie so special that she is the chosen one to save magic, it is something to do with her magic? because I can't help but fee that so of things were convenient and it was pure luck that she was the one who met Amari.

But I admire how the author is sticking to using this book to send a powerful massages about social injustice and discrimination by exploring the slavery of the diviners by the king and how they are treated horribly just because of the color of their hair and their doormat powers

message 38: by Rick (new) - rated it 3 stars

Rick Brose (headrollsoff) Karima wrote: "Rick wrote: "Today's reading did not hook me as much as the last two days. I don't know what it was. I can't point to any one thing.

I did enjoy getting a little more background on the history / m..."

Yeah, pacing can definitely be an issue. Especially with a book that is 500 pages long. Being the first book in a series, it makes it hard to balance filling in the audience on what they need to know in the world and telling the story. We will see how things pick up from here.

I agree about feeling like some of the plot is very convenient. Zélie is being setup to be special, and I hope the connection to why she is becomes clear.

I also agree about the underlying message. From the start of the book, the social injustice and racial disparity was very clearly presented. It has been one of my favorite parts of the book. I like anything that forces me to look at current issues head on and gain perspective from it. Anything that helps people to have more empathy and compassion is a positive.

Karima chermiti (karichma) | 59 comments Rick wrote: "Karima wrote: "Rick wrote: "Today's reading did not hook me as much as the last two days. I don't know what it was. I can't point to any one thing.

I did enjoy getting a little more background on ..."

absolutely, the fact that the book is a fantasy and it's YA and it has all these important topics to explore is something to applaud the author for. and it's the strongest thing the book has to offer so far.

Berenice Martinez | 21 comments I agree with both of you I felt like today’s chapters dragged on a little bit. I was hoping they would give further insight on the origin of Inan’s power.

Rick the scroll and the sunstone were placed in a chest and thrown to the ocean after the Raid when Admiral Ebele couldn’t destroy them, somehow they haven’t said how they resurfaced and Kaea was only able to recover the scroll it’s in chapter 3

Well at least they have made it to the next city so hopefully the story picks up again.

Karima chermiti (karichma) | 59 comments Berenice wrote: "I agree with both of you I felt like today’s chapters dragged on a little bit. I was hoping they would give further insight on the origin of Inan’s power.

Rick the scroll and the sunstone were pl..."

I too hope the story pick up too considering that the last chapters were more for exposition sake than advancing the plot, anyway, at least now, we have a sense of the direction the author is taking the story so we knew a little bit where the story is going next, I jst hope we'll get there without a lot of filler chapters.

message 42: by Rick (new) - rated it 3 stars

Rick Brose (headrollsoff) Berenice wrote: "I agree with both of you I felt like today’s chapters dragged on a little bit. I was hoping they would give further insight on the origin of Inan’s power.

Rick the scroll and the sunstone were pl..."

Thanks for the refresher. I have a hard time navigating backwards on my Kindle to find things like that. I know it has functionality to do that sort of thing, I just don't use it enough to feel competent like with a physical book.

Erica (thebrokenspine) | 22 comments Berenice wrote: "Erica will you be re-reading along with us?"

I'll do a refresher for the days discussion. I annotate my books, so I have lots of notes. Promise won't jump ahead and give spoilers. :)

Erica (thebrokenspine) | 22 comments Rick wrote: "Erica wrote: "I hope it's not to late to join in. I read it a couple if weeks, but would love to discuss it."

Welcome to the discussion. Happy to have you."

Thanks, Rick!

message 45: by Erica (last edited Aug 22, 2018 10:20PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Erica (thebrokenspine) | 22 comments Chapters 16-22

When I read CoB&B a few weeks ago, I have to say that this section was a little bit of a let down, but I still enjoyed it.

Going back through my notes I have 'predictable' written quite a few times. 1) When Inan and the gang arrive at the temple when Zelie is still weak after the blood magic ceremony; 2) Lekan gets killed;

I have a love/hate relationship with Inan. There's a part of me that wants him to turn out to be good and help the diviners, but another part of me knows that that's not going to happen. He's all about pleasing his father and if that means he has to kill diviners to get his father's approval than so be it.

On page 187 Inan says:
A single memory begins to flicker into my mind. A quite day when the temple teemed with life. He ran across the manicured grass, hand in hand with a young boy.

I know it's one of Lekan's memories, but for some reason I can't help but think that little boy is Inan's father. I mean after all Inan's grandfather was sympathetic to the Maji. And I wonder if the reason Saran is so salty is because as a young boy he saw how he could grow to be a powerful maji and that opportunity was taken away because other majis were abusing their power.

I wrote in my end of chapter notes that I wasn't a fan of Chapter 22 and that I was getting tired of Amari's naivete. But at the same time she is starting to have her own sort of awakening. Realizing the torment and oppression her father has caused the diviners and she wants to do something about it.

message 46: by Rick (new) - rated it 3 stars

Rick Brose (headrollsoff) Erica wrote: "Chapters 16-22

When I read CoB&B a few weeks ago, I have to say that this section was a little bit of a let down, but I still enjoyed it.

Going back through my notes I have 'predictable' written ..."

I have the same kind of feeling towards Inan. I mentioned it earlier that he has the potential to go either direction. But it feels more and more clear as things progress that his own self-hatred is going to drive him towards the extreme end of his father's beliefs and actions. It rings true to human nature though. How many people do we see double down on their prejudices when confronted with those own things in their lives? I am not an expert by any means, but I feel like that sort of thing spurs on a lot of homophobia. Homophobic, straight males cannot understand some of the sexual feelings within themselves, so they double down on their hatred for the other. It is messed up, but I definitely buy into the conflict Inan is having.

Amari definitely feels like she is mostly taking a backseat at this point. She is in the story to get the scroll to where it needed to be, and to provide a way for them to get money. Will she play a more important role moving forward? I hope so.

Berenice Martinez | 21 comments Erica I agree with you 100% in I’m head I was like of course she would still be weak from the ceremony and although I was hoping by some miracle that she wouldn’t kill off Leaken she did that was disappointing, and I didn’t think of the possibility that Leaken could be Inan’s grandfather but that could be why Saran found the temple in the first place because he already knew where it was.

Rick your welcome 😁

Karima chermiti (karichma) | 59 comments Okay, let's talk about today chapters,

I enjoyed them more than I enjoyed the ones of yesterday and I think that the pace picked up again and things are happening in a more compelling way.

I don't know what to make of AMARI, she's inconsistent as a character, sometimes I like her and sometimes she frustrates me to no end. I thought she was trained greatly to be capable of defending herself in danger so why is she completely useless when they need her the most.

I liked Inan's chapters and I as genuinely surprised that his story-line took that direction, The death of Kaea is something I didn't see coming not this early in the book and not by the hands of Inan.

I don't know how the author will amanage to develop Inan and Zélie relationship but I'm hoping it won't be romantic cause that won't be convincing at all.

Zélie is still reckless and do things without thinking ahaead, she's clearly lead by her emotions the majority of times, I don't know if that's something good or bad, only time will tell

I think Tzain, Zélie brother is the most underrated character in the whole book even though he's the most conisstent one. he's levelheaded and thinks before he acts and he have this kindness that's completely refreshing.

I'm actually invested again in the story and I'm really curious about where the story is going next.

message 49: by Rick (new) - rated it 3 stars

Rick Brose (headrollsoff) I absolutely agree about the Inan and Zélie relationship. I DO NOT want to see that become romantic. It will feel disingenuous to what we are seeing with Inan internally.

I agree that Tzain is underrated. He doesn't even get his own perspective chapters! I was excited about there being some kind of gladiator type event. I figured Tzain could shine. This boat fight stuff is a little weird. If I think about it too hard, I have lots of questions. I am glad to see that Tzain is taking a leadership role though. He is a badass.

message 50: by Karima (last edited Aug 23, 2018 02:49PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Karima chermiti (karichma) | 59 comments Rick wrote: "I absolutely agree about the Inan and Zélie relationship. I DO NOT want to see that become romantic. It will feel disingenuous to what we are seeing with Inan internally.

I agree that Tzain is und..."

You're totally right, I want more of this badass Tzain. he's the best

« previous 1

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Children of Blood and Bone (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Tomi Adeyemi (other topics)