You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

The Tattooist of Auschwitz
This topic is about The Tattooist of Auschwitz
Buddy Reads > The Tattooist of Auschwitz

Comments Showing 1-50 of 153 (153 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Kristie, Moderator (last edited Aug 14, 2018 12:09PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kristie | 15211 comments A group of us are planning to read The Tattooist of Auschwitz sometime in November. A specific date has not been set yet, but we will discuss as it gets closer. Please feel free to join the discussion here.

The Tattooist of Auschwitz by Heather Morris

Publisher's Summary:

The Tattooist of Auschwitz is based on the true story of Lale and Gita Sokolov, two Slovakian Jews who survived Auschwitz and eventually made their home in Australia. In that terrible place, Lale was given the job of tattooing the prisoners marked for survival—literally scratching numbers into his fellow victims' arms in indelible ink to create what would become one of the most potent symbols of the Holocaust. Lale used the infinitesimal freedom of movement that this position awarded him to exchange jewels and money taken from murdered Jews for food to keep others alive. If he had been caught, he would have been killed; many owed him their survival.

There have been many books about the Holocaust—and there will be many more. What makes this one so memorable is Lale Sokolov's incredible zest for life. He understood exactly what was in store for him and his fellow prisoners, and he was determined to survive—not just to survive but to leave the camp with his dignity and integrity intact, to live his life to the full. Terrible though this story is, it is also a story of hope and of courage. It is also—almost unbelievably—a love story. Waiting in line to be tattooed, terrified and shaking, was a young girl. For Lale—a dandy, a jack-the-lad, a bit of a chancer—it was love at first sight, and he determined not only to survive himself but to ensure that Gita did, too. His story—their story—will make you weep, but you will also find it uplifting. It shows the very best of humanity in the very worst of circumstances.

Like many survivors, Lale and Gita told few people their story after the war. They eventually made their way to Australia, where they raised a son and had a successful life. But when Gita died, Lale felt he could no longer carry the burden of their past alone. He chose to tell his story.

Sarah | 18231 comments Thanks for setting it up Kristie.

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments Thanks for setting this up, Kristie.

message 4: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kristie | 15211 comments No problem ladies. I'm looking forward to it.

message 5: by Janice, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Janice (jamasc) | 51916 comments I think I'll join you. I'm intrigued by the premise of the book.

Saar The Book owl | 1925 comments I think I might join.

Fiona (fiiicoooo) | 270 comments I would like to join too.

message 8: by Nancy from NJ (new)

Katz Nancy from NJ (nancyk18) i would akso like to enjoy participating.

Sarah | 18231 comments Looks like there will be quite a few of us! Excellent :-)

message 10: by Peggy, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15584 comments I just bought the ebook, so I'll be joining you too.

message 11: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kristie | 15211 comments I was just thinking that, Sarah. Should be a good discussion.

Sarah | 18231 comments Kristie wrote: "I was just thinking that, Sarah. Should be a good discussion."

Indeed!

message 13: by Lisa (new) - rated it 2 stars

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments I'm really looking forward to this. It should be a good discussion with so many of us participating.

message 14: by Janice, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Janice (jamasc) | 51916 comments It's a new release on Audible this morning.

message 15: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kristie | 15211 comments I have a hold on it at the library, but I may just get the Audible version instead.

message 16: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 20699 comments Oh, I thought you all had started already. I saw that Donna was currently reading it and told her about the Buddy read in YLTO this evening.

I am kind of interested too, but with The Core Buddy Read going, my monthly challenge book half done, two Zodiac challenge books just started and listening to the audiobook of The House of Spirits, my head might explode if I add another.

message 17: by Peggy, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15584 comments You can join us in the buddy read Cherie, that's still 2 months away :)

Lilisa | 2545 comments I'm in - thanks for setting this up Kristie.

Sarah | 18231 comments Yup, plenty of time until we start this one Cherie!

Fiona (fiiicoooo) | 270 comments My copy of the book just came :)

message 21: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 20699 comments I will keep it on my radar and check for the book availability. My yearly challenge status will be #1 after this month though.

Debra (debra_t) | 6542 comments I’m interested in joining in. Now if I can only remember when the time rolls around!

message 23: by Janice, Moderator (last edited Sep 08, 2018 09:44PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Janice (jamasc) | 51916 comments Debra wrote: "I’m interested in joining in. Now if I can only remember when the time rolls around!"

I know everyone uses notifications differently. I have notifications turned off on threads unless I specifically select the option on an individual thread. That might work for you to keep up to date with what's going on with the thread.

message 24: by Roz (new) - rated it 3 stars

Roz | 3890 comments My kindle copy just became available. I’m going to start reading it now and join the discussion in November . I’ll have to take lots of notes.

~Annaki~ (annaki) | 83 comments I might join in as well, if I can get it from my library at the time :)

message 26: by Janice, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Janice (jamasc) | 51916 comments The more the merrier, Annaki. :)

message 27: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kristie | 15211 comments It looks like we have a bunch of buddy reads being scheduled now for October/November. Should we come up with a date for this one so it doesn't get lost in the shuffle?

It looks like I can have the audio book through the library earlier than the physical book. So, if you wanted to read in October or November I should be all set. Let's say any time after the toppler. What works for you?

message 28: by Peggy, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15584 comments I'm flexible, but I would prefer it if it not starts at the same time as the fantasy buddy read, but at least a week before or after. There's no date for that one yet, so if we decide on something here first that's fine with me too.

message 29: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kristie | 15211 comments That’s why I mentioned it now, Peggy. I figured we could try to coordinate it so it’s not the same weeks as the others.

message 30: by Lisa (new) - rated it 2 stars

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments I'm flexible with start dates. I haven't been reading much again lately so I don't have any reads lined up for October yet.

Sarah | 18231 comments Last week of october, first week of november could be good. It's a short book!

message 32: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kristie | 15211 comments It looks like Farseer may start late October and Broken Earth late November, so maybe early November?

message 33: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kristie | 15211 comments Or mid-October before Farseer, depending on the date chosen.

Sarah | 18231 comments Shall we do early november then?

Fiona (fiiicoooo) | 270 comments Early november sounds good.

message 36: by Peggy, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15584 comments Good for me too :)

message 37: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kristie | 15211 comments That works for me.

message 38: by Lisa (new) - rated it 2 stars

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments Early November is good for me :)

Lilisa | 2545 comments Early November works great - where has the year gone?!

message 40: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kristie | 15211 comments No kidding, Lilisa!

message 41: by Lisa (new) - rated it 2 stars

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments Lilisa wrote: "Early November works great - where has the year gone?!"

I know! It's scary to think Christmas is only 3 months away!

Sarah | 18231 comments Lisa wrote: "Lilisa wrote: "Early November works great - where has the year gone?!"

I know! It's scary to think Christmas is only 3 months away!"

Don't mention the C word!

message 43: by Janice, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Janice (jamasc) | 51916 comments Lisa wrote: "Lilisa wrote: "Early November works great - where has the year gone?!"

Hush you!

message 44: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kristie | 15211 comments Lisa wrote: "Lilisa wrote: "Early November works great - where has the year gone?!"

Haha, my daughter has been sending me gift ideas for the past couple of weeks. I think she's mostly done her shopping already! I haven't hardly thought about it, though I have picked up a couple of things that were too good to pass up.

message 45: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kristie | 15211 comments Did we want to pick a more specific date yet?

message 46: by Peggy, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15584 comments For some reason I thought it was set for November 5, but I don't see anything about that here, so I must have made it up.

Any date early November is fine by me. Although, perhaps not the first week? Thinking about the group reads, in case people want those finished first.

Sarah | 18231 comments I think we were going with early November as there is another buddy read late November. But i don't think we set an exact date.

message 48: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kristie | 15211 comments Right, we had agreed the beginning of November, but I was looking to set a date. I don’t have a problem waiting a few days or a week into the month, if that works for everyone. I don’t think it would interfere with the other buddy read, since that the end of the month.

message 49: by Lisa (new) - rated it 2 stars

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments I'm happy to wait a few days/a week into November.

Lilisa | 2545 comments I was on my library's long wait list. It became available a few days ago so ended up reading it or else I'd have to get back in the long line. I'll join in the discussion when you all buddy read.

« previous 1 3 4