Fans of Amish Fiction discussion

Recommendations for fiction books about amish life?

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by ~Annaki~ (new)

~Annaki~ (annaki) | 7 comments Hi :)

I have for many many years been interested in Amish life/culture and have read books such as A History of the Amish, but I am trying to find well written fiction books that focus on Amish life and culture, without being cheesy or preachy, to read for enjoyment rather than "study".

Thank you in advance :)

message 2: by Carolyn (last edited Aug 16, 2018 08:15AM) (new)

Carolyn Daughters of Caleb Bender Series is full of adventure and suspense;
and The Amish of Summer Grove Series was also a great reading journey for me

message 3: by ~Annaki~ (new)

~Annaki~ (annaki) | 7 comments Thank you :)

message 4: by C. (new)

C. | 84 comments Hi, I believe these books are exactly what you are hoping for~

Plain Perfect (Daughters of the Promise, #1) by Beth Wiseman

A Gift of Grace (Kauffman Amish Bakery, #1) by Amy Clipston

Love Finds You in Sugarcreek, Ohio by Serena B. Miller

Love Finds You in Charm, Ohio by Annalisa Daughety

Double Take by Melody Carlson

message 5: by ~Annaki~ (new)

~Annaki~ (annaki) | 7 comments Thank you very much :)

message 6: by Christy (new)

Christy | 18 comments Annaki, Suzanne Woods Fisher writes some of the best Amish Fiction out there in my opinion. I would also check into Adina Senft The Tempted Soul, The Hidden Life and The Wounded Heart and Linda Byler specifically The Lancaster Burning Series.

message 7: by Christy (new)

Christy | 18 comments One more series to check Annaki is Dale Cramer's The Daughter's of Caleb Bender Series; its historical as well as Amish and it's outstanding.

message 8: by ~Annaki~ (new)

~Annaki~ (annaki) | 7 comments Awesome, thank you!

message 9: by C. (last edited Sep 17, 2018 03:13AM) (new)

C. | 84 comments Dale Cramer also wrote the fascinating~ Levi's Will, that touches on how the Amish practice of courting Amish couples "Bundling" being used by parents to "entrap" couples into joining the Amish with baptism/marriage, because of pregnancy!

Levi's Will is based upon his father's life. An Amish boy, finding himself in trouble, runs away, eventually joining the army. He lived for many years under the ban from his community and always lived as a non-Amish raising a family the same.

Levi's Will by W. Dale Cramer

message 10: by ~Annaki~ (new)

~Annaki~ (annaki) | 7 comments Thank you!

message 11: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Good (racheljgood) | 3 comments The Amish Teacher's GiftChange of HeartI do a lot of research in Amish country and spend time with Amish friends, who also help to ensure the details are accurate. Here are some of my titles, with more coming out.

Buried SecretsRachel J. Good
Change of Heart
The Amish Teacher's Gift

message 12: by ~Annaki~ (new)

~Annaki~ (annaki) | 7 comments Thank you :)

message 13: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Good (racheljgood) | 3 comments You're welcome!

Rachel wrote: "The Amish Teacher's Gift

Change of Heart

I do a lot of research in Amish country and spend time with Amish friends, who also help to ensure the details are accurate. H..."

message 14: by ~Annaki~ (new)

~Annaki~ (annaki) | 7 comments I will look forward to reading them :)

message 15: by ANNETTE (new)

ANNETTE | 31 comments I thought The Amish Teacher's Gift was really good.

message 16: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Good (racheljgood) | 3 comments Thank you so much, Annette. I’m glad you liked it.

message 17: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn I am trying a new author to me. Gayle Roper has a few amish books. I am reading a series she has on amish farm mystery series. Being raised on a farm myself, I tend to lean toward farm mysteries. this is probably more a romantic suspense with mystery involved. A Secret Identity (Amish Farm Trilogy, #2) by Gayle Roper The book is slow getting into; but, midway through it gets suspenseful and is a page turner at the end.

message 18: by Clare (new)

Clare O'Beara | 9 comments Hi, I have noticed some books lately about Amish beekeepers. When women do this work, they are given permission to dress in trousers and don white veils and other suitable clothes. Sometimes the rules are highlighted by the exceptions. Lately I read and enjoyed
An Amish Flower Farm
An Amish Flower Farm by Mindy Steele

message 19: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn Clare, the reviews on the book are all favorable, thanks for sharing

message 20: by Clare (new)

Clare O'Beara | 9 comments Welcome!

message 21: by Mindy (new)

Mindy Steele | 2 comments Clare wrote: "Hi, I have noticed some books lately about Amish beekeepers. When women do this work, they are given permission to dress in trousers and don white veils and other suitable clothes. Sometimes the ru..."

Carolyn wrote: "I am trying a new author to me. Gayle Roper has a few amish books. I am reading a series she has on amish farm mystery series. Being raised on a farm myself, I tend to lean toward farm mysteries. t..."

Clare wrote: "Hi, I have noticed some books lately about Amish beekeepers. When women do this work, they are given permission to dress in trousers and don white veils and other suitable clothes. Sometimes the ru..."

Thank you for reading and mentioning my book!!! I had so much fun researching for this story. Three amazing women took me into their hives and let me play with the bees. LOL. I have characters in other stories as well that have honey businesses. I think I'm just hooked!!!

message 22: by Clare (new)

Clare O'Beara | 9 comments Hi Mindy, thank you for writing this lovely book and advancing the cause of women in business. I enjoyed reading it so much!