Paranormal & Urban Fantasy, Monthly Group Reads discussion

Series Discussions (Spoilers) > Night Huntress Series

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by ♥Tricia♥, Group Lead (last edited Mar 04, 2012 10:35AM) (new)

♥Tricia♥ (siddie) | 1167 comments Mod
Author:
Jeaniene Frost
Jeaniene Frost

http://www.jeanienefrost.com

Jeaniene Frost lives in Florida with her husband, Matthew, who long ago accepted that she swears like a sailor, rarely cooks, and always sleeps in on the weekends. Somehow he managed to cope, and the two of them recently celebrated their 14th wedding anniversary. Jeaniene and Matthew are the proud parents of Gypsy, their very spoiled dog who believes Jeaniene's only purpose in life is to cater to her. Aside from writing, Jeaniene enjoys reading, poetry, watching movies with her husband, exploring old cemeteries, spelunking, and traveling—by car. Airplanes, children, and cookbooks frighten her. Jeaniene is currently at work on her next Night Huntress novel.

Night Huntress Books (in order):

Halfway to the Grave (Night Huntress, #1) by Jeaniene Frost One Foot in the Grave (Night Huntress, #2) by Jeaniene Frost At Grave's End (Night Huntress, #3) by Jeaniene Frost Destined for an Early Grave (Night Huntress, #4) by Jeaniene Frost This Side of the Grave (Night Huntress, #5) by Jeaniene Frost One Grave at a Time (Night Huntress, #6) by Jeaniene Frost

message 2: by Sarah (new)

Sarah  | 276 comments I laugh every time I read the part about airplanes, children, and cookbooks.

message 3: by ♥Tricia♥, Group Lead (new)

lol yeah that's hilarious!

message 4: by ♥Tricia♥, Group Lead (new)

I am going to start this series convo by talking about the most recent book.

I was so pissed off at the first half of this book (see review) that I almost started tearing pages out of it LOL..

I am NOT kidding.

This series had fast become the #1 favorite series for me and then I couldn't believe the first half of Destined for an Early Grave. I wanted to throw the book and scream and tear pages out so many times but I didn't because I knew that I would regret not finishing it just because.

I can NOT stand the Alpha cavemen bullshit that she wrote Bones as in this book. It makes me want to scream and just give up this series entirely.

The redeeming part of this book was the second half and all of the surprises that Frost had in store..
I know this is a spoiler thread but I wanted to start the convo off with that and see what you guys thought?

message 5: by Sarah (new)

Sarah  | 276 comments *sticking fingers in my ears*

Guess I'll have to play catch up faster! Haven't gotten to it yet. But soon...

message 6: by Jessi (new)

Jessi  (jessim) ♥Tricia♥ wrote: "I am going to start this series convo by talking about the most recent book.

I was so pissed off at the first half of this book (see review) that I almost started tearing pages out of it LOL..

I ..."

I agree, I am only half way though the book and I can't believe how controling he is being. I want to reach through the book and punch him. that shit makes me mad and not want to finish the book. I well keep reading b/c everyone says it gets better

message 7: by ♥Tricia♥, Group Lead (new)

Yes DO keep reading, I almost put it down many times.

Frost redeems herself in the second half hehe

message 8: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (Literary Escapism) (literaryescapism) Bones was a little prick, but it was so part of his character. Even in the earlier books he comes off that way, but normally Cat has an inkling of what is going on. this time she was totally clueless so it came off worse IMHO.

Personally, I can't believe she killed off Rodney (spoilers are okay, right?) and then turned Justina. How cruel is that to Cat and Bones. Now they have her mother for eternity!

message 9: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (Literary Escapism) (literaryescapism) Did anyone else start laughing when Menchere said The shit’s gonna splatter, start buggin’, yo.

message 10: by ♥Tricia♥, Group Lead (new)

Yup spoilers for this entire folder are ok, since its a complete series discussion :D

AND OMG turning Justina was a HUGE shock for me! I was like WOAH NELLY!

The Rodney thing was a tiny shocker but he was such a small side character that didnt get much action so it didnt impact me as much.

message 11: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (Literary Escapism) (literaryescapism) Yeah, but Rodney was calming Justina done a lot! Can you just imagine how she's going to be in the next book (which we have over a year to wait?!)

message 12: by ♥Tricia♥, Group Lead (new)

Yeah she is going to be a royal pain in the ass, I just know it!

Maybe she will find a vampy lover! lol

message 13: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (Literary Escapism) (literaryescapism) After her attitude regarding vamps, especially towards Bones, you think she's going to end up with one?! That would be hilarious. I kind of want to pick up Halfway to the Grave again.

message 14: by ♥Tricia♥, Group Lead (new)

It wouldn't surprise me. Because now she IS a vamp and she can see what its like to be one and I think her prejudices will slowly falter because of it.

Course this is just speculation hehe

message 15: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany Danner (kindlevixen) | 12 comments Another one of my absolute favorite series. The last book may be the best one yet, even tho it was hard to read. Cat and Bones were aggravating and childish and I wanted to beat them, but so worth it to keep reading!

DarkHeart "Vehngeance" (darkheart) | 168 comments Did everyone see the cover posted for Spade and Denise's book:

First Drop of Crimson (Night Huntress World, #1) by Jeaniene Frost

message 17: by Shannon (last edited Oct 13, 2009 09:12PM) (new)

Shannon (theholyterror) DarkHeart wrote: "Did everyone see the cover posted for Spade and Denise's book:

First Drop of Crimson (Night Huntress World, #1) by Jeaniene Frost"

Um ... hmm. His head is at a really weird angle. It almost looks like a floating head in front of someone else's body. Weird.

DarkHeart "Vehngeance" (darkheart) | 168 comments LOL, yeah it is. But he gets points for low slung jeans. ;)

In fairness, I've never been a huge fan of any of her covers. They're not bad, but I don't love them.

message 19: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (theholyterror) The sad thing is everything works for the cover except his head, although it's sort of a rip-off of [image error] in a way.

Out of them all I think I like the cover for One Foot in the Grave (Night Huntress, #2) by Jeaniene Frost the best. But on this one: At Grave's End (Night Huntress, #3) by Jeaniene Frost it looks like she got caught while squatting to pee.

DarkHeart "Vehngeance" (darkheart) | 168 comments Ugh... yeah, and I hate the cover for A Hunger Like No Other (well, almost all of the covers in that series - which is a shame because they're great books). But yeah, her leg on At Grave's End just doesn't work. It's not a good pose. =)

message 21: by ♥Tricia♥, Group Lead (new)

DarkHeart wrote: "Did everyone see the cover posted for Spade and Denise's book:

First Drop of Crimson (Night Huntress World, #1) by Jeaniene Frost"

I don't like this cover either.. his head is too jacked up lol

message 22: by Narnies (new)

Narnies teehee, it looks like he's about to shove her away because he just saw a really good steak. I agree on the bonus points for the jeans though!

And yes, it cracked me up when Mancheres came up with The shits going to splatter, start buggin yo!!! I heard that Frost is going to write a book on him as well, but to be honest, so far he hasn't interested me that much, in fact he sounds like i boring grandad.

message 23: by Sarah (new)

Sarah  | 276 comments Ariana wrote: "And yes, it cracked me up when Mancheres came up with..."

I just read that part today, and it cracked me up so much I had to try to keep from laughing too loud in the library! Smug little... Egyptian. :)

DarkHeart "Vehngeance" (darkheart) | 168 comments Yeah, I've never found Mancheres to be an appealing character, but I'm sure she'll make his book interesting.

message 25: by ♥Tricia♥, Group Lead (new)

Yeah I agree Darkheart.. I never really found him too interesting.. We had to read about him because of his connection to Bones but I could take him or leave him.

message 26: by Sarah (new)

Sarah  | 276 comments At least the next series features Spade, who is much more interesting.

message 27: by AmandaG (new)

AmandaG (amandag3) | 73 comments I guess I'm in the minority when I say I was happy when Bones stood up for himself and left. I love both characters. I love that they are flawed. They do things they both have to apologize for. They do things they told the other not to do.

message 28: by Unapologetic_Bookaholic, Co-Lead (last edited Mar 25, 2010 06:15AM) (new)

Unapologetic_Bookaholic | 902 comments Mod
here's the 411 on NHW books. I suppose she's going to release these then go back to Cat and Bones?

Eternal Kiss of Darkness

Night Huntress World, book two. Releasing July 27th, 2010

An immortal war has been brewing in the darkness…and now one woman has stumbled into the shadows.

Chicago private investigator Kira Graceling should have just kept on walking. But her sense of duty refused to let her ignore the moans of pain coming from inside a warehouse just before dawn. Suddenly she finds herself in a world she’s only imagined in her worst nightmares.

At the center is Mencheres, a breathtaking Master Vampire who thought he’d seen it all. Then Kira appears—this fearless, beautiful…human who braved death to rescue him. Though he burns for her, keeping Kira in his world means risking her life, yet sending her away is unthinkable.

But with danger closing in, Mencheres must choose between the woman he craves, or embracing the darkest magic to defeat an enemy bent on his eternal destruction.

message 29: by Unapologetic_Bookaholic, Co-Lead (new)

Unapologetic_Bookaholic | 902 comments Mod
Death’s Excellent Vacation

Fantasy anthology, releasing August 3rd, 2010

New York Times bestselling authors Charlaine Harris, Katie MacAlister, Jeaniene Frost-plus Lilith Saintcrow, Jeff Abbott, and more-send postcards from the edge of the paranormal world to fans who devoured Wolfsbane and Mistletoe and Many Bloody Returns.

With an all-new Sookie Stackhouse story and twelve other original tales, editors Charlaine Harris and Toni L. P. Kelner bring together a stellar collection of tour guides who offer vacations that are frightening, funny, and touching for the fanged, the furry, the demonic, and the grotesque. Learn why it really can be an endless summer-for immortals.

Jeaniene’s short story, One For the Money, will feature Cat and Bones. The story is set after the events of Destined For an Early Grave in the Night Huntress series.

message 30: by Lisa O. (new)

Lisa O. | 77 comments Has anyone started the newest book yet? (This Side of the Grave) I bought it and I'm planning on reading it this weekend, but I thought it would be fun to discuss afterward. It's been so long, I'm afraid I've built the series up too much and it won't be as good as I remember, but I guess I'll find out shortly!

This Side of the Grave (Night Huntress, #5) by Jeaniene Frost

message 31: by ♥Tricia♥, Group Lead (new)

I need to get it hehe its on my wishlist :P