What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Historical Romance/YA novel set in the new world - man falls in love with sister of deceased wife

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kelsey (new)

Kelsey | 3 comments Hi all! I read this extremely strange book maybe back in 2008, or thereabouts. The plot (which I will try not to spoil the main points of), was that a British woman traveled to the New World to marry a man. She then died (I think after they were married), and her sister came over to live with the man (for some purpose I can't remember.) They wound up falling in love themselves, and much of the book dealt with the living sister's guilt over being in love with her deceased sister's husband. I remember distinctly at some point makes the living sister makes the man an apple tart or something while he's chopping wood and he's really touched by it. I won't say more because spoilers - plus that's kinda all I remember.

Any help would be appreciated!

message 2: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 40728 comments Mod
Kelsey, spoilers are fine as long as they're not in your header. Sometimes queries can't be solved without them.

message 3: by Kelsey (new)

Kelsey | 3 comments Oh! Well, in that case. The only spoiler details I have to add are that the sister died from smallpox I think. And then the male character gets smallpox and almost dies. And I believe the two central characters don't wind up together at the end, but the female lead gives birth to the male's child after she returns to England.

Hope that's helpful!

message 4: by Kris (new)

Kris | 36637 comments Mod
Kelsey, what's the time period and location?

Can you tell us more about the husband - his job/skills, rich/poor, family/friends, personality, how he came to marry the first sister, etc.?

message 5: by Kelsey (new)

Kelsey | 3 comments Yes! The location I think is in one of the original 13 colonies in the US, but I'm not sure which one. Maybe Virginia. I believe in the 16 or 1700s.

Here's what I remember about the husband: I don't remember his profession, he's not wealthy, he built the house the couple would eventually live in himself and he does other general carving work. He also does some hunting. I don't recall any family or friends - I remember the home they lived in being pretty isolated. I also don't remember how he married the first sister, but it wasn't a love match and I think they barely knew each other.

Hope that's helpful!

message 6: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 40728 comments Mod
Kelsey, are you still looking for this or did you find it?