Christian Speculative Fiction discussion

Review Group > Review Session 3 - COMPLETED

Comments Showing 1-50 of 169 (169 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Lauren (last edited Aug 14, 2018 06:20AM) (new)

Lauren Salisbury | 224 comments Mod
Hi all,

I'll be filling in for Steve for this session, so if you have any questions or comments, please direct them my way.

The guidelines and expectations for this session are the same as in previous sessions. If you are unfamiliar with the way this community runs review sessions, more detailed information can be found in the links at the bottom of this post. Please ensure you are aware of all of our guidelines and procedures before signing up. The basics are as follows:

When you sign up, you are agreeing to read and review two books, one per month over the next two months, and these must be completed on time. Reviewing a book includes writing a review for Goodreads and Amazon and posting links to your reviews on this thread. Deadlines will be clearly posted in the next comment on this thread when the session begins. You can sign up as a reviewer only or as an author and reviewer, in which case, you will need to choose one book for people to review.

If you sign up as an author, you will receive three reviews of the book you submit. You will also be expected to write two reviews along with everyone else in the session. It is the responsibility of each author to ensure all of their reviewers have a free review copy of the book they will review. Please do not assume that if your book is on KU, it will be possible for the reviewers to access it from there. Not everyone has a KU account.

Session 3 will be run on a first come, first served basis. If you want to take part, you will need to comment with your name, whether you wish to participate as a reviewer only or as an author and reviewer, and the name of your book if you are joining as an author. We need to get going on this as soon as possible to have time to read the books and review, so I'll not count any comments that do not include all the relevant information. As soon as all the available slots are filled, I'll post a message to let you know. After that, anyone attempting to sign up will be put on a wait list in case anyone needs to pull out, and will be welcome to try again for session 4.

Pairings for the session, along with specific deadlines, will be added in the next comment as soon as I have enough people to start the session. Goodreads policy is to avoid exchanging reviews, so please let me know if there is anyone in the session who has already reviewed your work or whose work you have previously reviewed. It is difficult to change pairings once they have been made, so this needs to be done as soon as possible.

Let's try to keep this a positive experience for everyone by bearing in mind the time and effort taken to write the books we are reading. We want to encourage our authors and find great books to share with others. That doesn’t mean you can’t point out any issues, just remember to be respectful. The policy for all reviews is to take a positive-negative-positive approach. Any reviews of less than three stars should be given directly to the author and me via pm. Please also note that the star rating systems on Goodreads and Amazon have different meanings and rate accordingly.

The only acceptable response to a review is “Thank you.” If you have any serious issues with something written in a review of your book, please bring them to me to be dealt with privately. Likewise, if you have problems writing a review, pm me to deal with the situation.

Lastly, the most important point: This is supposed to be a great experience for people who love Christ and love speculative fiction. It’s not supposed to be a chore, so have fun and happy reading! I look forward to another great review session.

Lauren

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 2: by Lauren (last edited Sep 04, 2018 03:35PM) (new)

REVIEW PAIRINGS for Round 1 (Sept 12th - Oct 7th)

A. Who reviews What:
1. Glen Robinson reviews Jeanette O'Hagan's Ruhanna's Flight and other stories
2. Jeanette O'Hagan reviews Lara Lee's The Shadow of the Gryphon
3. Lara Lee reviews Joan Campbell's Guardian of Ajalon
4. Joan Campbell reviews Jes Drew’s The Howling Twenties Book One: Wolf Claw
5. Jes Drew reviews C. S. Watcher's The Light Arises
6. C. S. Watcher reviews Rochell Williams’s Reign On Me
7. Rochell Williams reviews Richard Spillman’s The Awakened
8. Richard Spillman reviews Sean Elliot Russell’s The Jesus Boy
9. Sean Elliot Russell reviews Joanne Rolston’s The Kingdom, Here Be Dragons, Here Be Dreams
10. Joanne Rolston reviews Drew Boudreaux’s Supraphysica
11. Drew Boudreaux reviews J. M. Hackman’s Spark
12. J. M. Hackman reviews Glen Robinson's The Champion
13. Rondi Olson reviews Glen Robinson's The Champion
14. Gbraden reviews Jeanette O'Hagan's Ruhanna's Flight and other stories
15. Susie reviews Lara Lee's The Shadow of the Gryphon
16. Ann reviews Joan Campbell's Guardian of Ajalon
17. Celeste reviews Jes Drew’s The Howling Twenties Book One: Wolf Claw
18. Marion Rossiter reviews C. S. Watcher's The Light Arises

B. Who is reviewed by Whom (for exchanging review copies):
1. Glen Robinson is reviewed by J. M. Hackman and Rondi Olson
2. 2. Jeanette O'Hagan is reviewed by Glen Robinson and Gbraden
3. Lara Lee is reviewed by Jeanette O’Hagan and Susie
4. Joan Campbell is reviewed by Lara Lee and Ann
5. Jes Drew is reviewed by Joan Campbell and Celeste
6. C. S. Watcher is reviewed by Jes Drew and Marion Rossiter
7. Rochell Williams is reviewed by C. S. Watcher
8. Richard Spillman is reviewed by Rochell Williams
9. Sean Elliot Russell is reviewed by Richard Spillman
10. Joanne Rolston is reviewed by Sean Elliot Russell
11. Drew Boudreaux is reviewed by Joanne Rolston
12. J. M. Hackman is reviewed by Drew Boudreaux

REVIEW PAIRINGS for Round 2 (Oct 8th – Nov 1st)

A. Who reviews What:
1. Glen Robinson reviews Lara Lee's The Shadow of the Gryphon
2. Jeanette O'Hagan reviews Joan Campbell's Guardian of Ajalon
3. Lara Lee reviews Jes Drew’s The Howling Twenties Book One: Wolf Claw
4. Joan Campbell reviews C. S. Watcher's The Light Arises
5. Jes Drew reviews Rochell Williams’s Reign On Me
6. C. S. Watcher reviews Richard Spillman’s The Awakened
7. Rochell Williams reviews Sean Elliot Russell’s The Jesus Boy
8. Richard Spillman reviews Joanne Rolston’s The Kingdom, Here Be Dragons, Here Be Dreams
9. Sean Elliot Russell reviews Drew Boudreaux’s Supraphysica
10. Joanne Rolston reviews J. M. Hackman’s Spark
11. Drew Boudreaux reviews Glen Robinson's The Champion
12. J. M. Hackman reviews Jeanette O'Hagan's Ruhanna's Flight and other stories
13. Rondi Olson reviews Rochell Williams’s Reign On Me
14. Gbraden reviews Richard Spillman’s The Awakened
15. Susie reviews Sean Elliot Russell’s The Jesus Boy
16. Ann reviews Joanne Rolston’s The Kingdom, Here Be Dragons, Here Be Dreams
17. Celeste reviews Drew Boudreaux’s Supraphysica
18. Marion Rossiter reviews J. M. Hackman’s Spark

B. Who is reviewed by Whom (for exchanging review copies):
1. Glen Robinson is reviewed by Drew Boudreaux
2. 2. Jeanette O'Hagan is reviewed by J. M. Hackman
3. Lara Lee is reviewed by Glen Robinson
4. Joan Campbell is reviewed by Jeanette O’Hagan
5. Jes Drew is reviewed by Lara Lee
6. C. S. Watcher is reviewed by Joan Campbell
7. Rochell Williams is reviewed by Jes Drew and Rondi Olson
8. Richard Spillman is reviewed by C. S. Watcher and Gbraden
9. Sean Elliot Russell is reviewed by Rochell Williams and Susie
10. Joanne Rolston is reviewed by Richard Spillman and Ann
11. Drew Boudreaux is reviewed by Sean Elliot Russell and Celeste
12. J. M. Hackman is reviewed by Joanne Rolston and Marion Rossiter

message 3: by C.S. (new)

C.S. Wachter | 351 comments I'm interested in doing this again, but I haven't received my last review from the last round. Do you know what's happening? Also, can I submit a second book from a series?

message 4: by Glen (last edited Aug 14, 2018 06:34AM) (new)

Glen Robinson (glenchen) | 172 comments Sign me up as an author. It was a great experience the first time around, and I'm more than happy to help other authors out as well. Here's my book:

https://www.amazon.com/Champion-Trilo...

"The Champion" by Glen Robinson

message 5: by Lauren (new)

It's up to you which book you submit for review. Just keep in mind that your reviewer might not have read the first if that's necessary in a series.
I'm aware of the issue with the review from the last round and will pm you regarding that.

message 6: by Steve (new)

Steve Pillinger | 517 comments Mod
C.S. wrote: "I'm interested in doing this again, but I haven't received my last review from the last round. Do you know what's happening? Also, can I submit a second book from a series?"

I know Lauren won't mind if I answer your first question, as it concerns the previous session which I moderated. Can I pm you about this? There are some particular issues involved. My apologies, though, that you've been overtaken by session 3 before receiving all your reviews from session 2.

message 7: by Lara (new)

Lara Lee | 507 comments Mod
I would like to sign up as an author with my new book The Shadow of the Gryphon.

Lara Lee

The Shadow of the Gryphon

message 8: by Steve (new)

Steve Pillinger | 517 comments Mod
Oh dear, crossed messages! No problem, Lauren can pm you and bring me in if there's more to be discussed.

message 9: by C.S. (last edited Aug 14, 2018 06:43AM) (new)

C.S. Wachter | 351 comments Lauren wrote: "It's up to you which book you submit for review. Just keep in mind that your reviewer might not have read the first if that's necessary in a series.
I'm aware of the issue with the review from the ..."

Thanks.
I would like to submit The Light Arises for this round if I can.

The Light Arises

message 10: by C.S. (new)

C.S. Wachter | 351 comments Steve wrote: "C.S. wrote: "I'm interested in doing this again, but I haven't received my last review from the last round. Do you know what's happening? Also, can I submit a second book from a series?"

I know La..."

Thanks!

message 11: by Joan (new)

Joan Campbell | 4 comments I am Joan Campbell and would like to sign up as an author for my book Guardian of Ajalon.

message 12: by Jeanette (last edited Aug 14, 2018 07:08AM) (new)

Jeanette | 21 comments I would like to sign up again as an author. This time I'm submitting Ruhanna's Flight and other stories

Thanks

message 13: by Rondi (new)

Rondi Olson | 10 comments I would be happy to participate again as a reader.

message 14: by Char'Lee (new)

Char'Lee M. Van Patten (cmvanpatten) | 16 comments I love to sign up as an Author and submit my first and at this point the only book I have out. Amongst The Fallen: Arise

message 15: by Jes (last edited Aug 14, 2018 08:14AM) (new)

Jes Drew | 45 comments Jes Drew
Author
The Howling Twenties Book One: Wolf Claw

message 16: by Rochell (new)

Rochell Williams | 2 comments Lauren wrote: "Hi all,

I'll be filling in for Steve for this session, so if you have any questions or comments, please direct them my way.

The guidelines and expectations for this session are the same as in pr..."

Rochell Williams
Author
Reign On Me

message 17: by Richard (new)

Richard Spillman | 7 comments I would like to sign up as an author/reviewer. My book is The Awakened.

message 18: by Lauren (new)

Thanks all for the quick responses. We're over halfway there already. As soon as we get enough participants, I'll close the sign up and assign the pairings.
If you can see names on the list that I need to avoid pairing you with as per Goodreads review policy, please don't wait to let me know. It's difficult to change them after the fact, and I'd like as smooth a start as possible to round 1.

message 19: by Glen (new)

Glen (gbraden712) | 7 comments Sign me up as a reviewer (please)

message 20: by Jeanette (new)

Jeanette | 21 comments Re pairings.

I've reviewed C S Watcher (Sorcerer's Bane) & Guy L. Pace (Nasty Leftovers) in the past.

Rondi Olson, A.L. Buehrer and Ann reviewed Akrad's Children Last time (this time round I'm offering Ruhanna's Flight and other stories).

Hope that helps.

message 21: by Lauren (new)

Jeanette wrote: "Re pairings.

I've reviewed C S Watcher (Sorcerer's Bane) & Guy L. Pace (Nasty Leftovers) in the past.

Rondi Olson, A.L. Buehrer and Ann reviewed Akrad's Children Last time (this time round I'm ..."

Yes it does. Thank you!

message 22: by Lauren (new)

Only 7 spots left, folks. 3 for author/reviewers and 4 for reviewers.

If you haven't signed up yet and want to take part, there's still time. Alternatively, if you know someone who might want to take part, point out the thread so they can check it out.

I'll pop in again this evening to see if we have any more takers.

message 23: by Sean (new)

Sean Elliot Russell | 330 comments Mod
Hello.
I'm interested in having my novel, "The Jesus Boy," reviewed during Session 3.

And, of course, I look forward to reading someone's novel in turn.

Thank you.
Sean Elliot Russell

message 24: by Lauren (new)

Sean wrote: "Hello.
I'm interested in having my novel, "The Jesus Boy," reviewed during Session 3.

And, of course, I look forward to reading someone's novel in turn.

Thank you.
Sean Elliot Russell"

Added you, Sean.

message 25: by Joanne (new)

Joanne Rolston Hi Lauren,
I wish to participate as an author and reviewer. I hope to have my book "The Kingdom, Here Be Dragons, Here Be Dreams reviewed during Session 3.
Thanks,
Jo

message 26: by Lauren (new)

Joanne wrote: "Hi Lauren,
I wish to participate as an author and reviewer. I hope to have my book "The Kingdom, Here Be Dragons, Here Be Dreams reviewed during Session 3.
Thanks,
Jo"

Got it, Joanne. You're on the list.

message 27: by Char'Lee (new)

Char'Lee M. Van Patten (cmvanpatten) | 16 comments Lauren wrote: "Hi all,

The guidelines and expectations for this session are the same as in pr..."

Good Afternoon Lauren,

I hate to do this but do to some personal health issues that arose I am going to have to pull my book from this review session. I apologize for any complications this may cause. I was looking forward to this but I do not want to take the chance in not being able to give another author the review they deserve.

message 28: by C.S. (new)

C.S. Wachter | 351 comments Char'Lee wrote: "Lauren wrote: "Hi all,

The guidelines and expectations for this session are th..."

Char'Lee. So sorry to hear that things are still not well. I'll continue to pray for you.

message 29: by Char'Lee (new)

Char'Lee M. Van Patten (cmvanpatten) | 16 comments C.S. wrote: "Char'Lee wrote: "Lauren wrote: "Hi all,

The guidelines and expectations for th..."

Thank you so much C.S., all prayers are welcomed. Things have been fairly rough the last couple of days and I have been having a hard time dealing emotionally as well. I can't tell you what having the added support from this group means to me.

message 30: by Lara (new)

Char'Lee wrote: "Things have been fairly rough the last couple of days and I have been having a hard time dealing emotionally as well. I can't tell you what having the added support from this group means to me."

Sending prayers! The Lord will hear and hold you tight through it.

message 31: by Lauren (new)

Char'Lee wrote: "Lauren wrote: "Hi all,

The guidelines and expectations for this session are th..."

Char'Lee, I'm so sorry I didn't pick this up sooner. Of course I'll remove you from the session, don't worry about that at all. You're also in my prayers during this tough time.

message 32: by Lauren (new)

Hi all,

I've left it for a couple of days to see if there's any movement, but, as you can see, we're struggling for reviewers this time round.

There are two options going forward:
1. We postpone the session until more reviewers sign up. This would mean leaving the thread active until the list is full and then taking two months from that point to complete the session. It might be easier to accomplish this after the summer holiday period is finished.

2. We go ahead with the session, but with a reduced number of participants. This would mean dropping the reviewers for this session and doing straight rounds of reviews between authors, resulting in only two reviews each. I can't see any other way of making the numbers work as they stand.

If you want to weigh in on this decision, please do so. I'll check back in again tomorrow.

message 33: by Lara (new)

I vote for a little waiting. At the end of the month, we can send out another mass message if we still don't have enough and then review our options from there. What does everyone else think?

message 34: by C.S. (new)

C.S. Wachter | 351 comments I'm flexible. I can go either way.

message 35: by Char'Lee (new)

Char'Lee M. Van Patten (cmvanpatten) | 16 comments Thank you so much Lauren and Lara. Again the thoughts and prayers of everyone here mean more than I can express in the form of words.

message 36: by Jeanette (new)

Jeanette | 21 comments Char'Lee - sorry to hear you are having a difficult time. I hope and pray for God's strength, comfort and healing.

Lauren, either solution sounds good, happy to wait a little longer to see if we get more interest.

message 37: by Joanne (new)

Joanne Rolston Hi Lauren, Either way is fine with me. Cheers, Jo

message 38: by Richard (new)

Richard Spillman | 7 comments I’m fine with both

message 39: by Lauren (new)

OK, all. We'll wait and see if we get more reviewers signing up.

message 40: by Ann (new)

Ann | 50 comments How many reviewers do you need?

message 41: by Lauren (new)

Ann wrote: "How many reviewers do you need?"

Hi Ann,

If we don't get any more authors, we can run the session with three more reviewers. Otherwise, we're still waiting on another four.

message 42: by Ann (new)

Ann | 50 comments If you still need reviewers, count me in. I enjoyed the last 4 books very much, it's just that with school starting, I'm afraid that I'll run out of time. On the other hand, the books I read kept me turning pages and we're a great escape. So sign me up!

message 43: by Lauren (new)

Ann wrote: "If you still need reviewers, count me in. I enjoyed the last 4 books very much, it's just that with school starting, I'm afraid that I'll run out of time. On the other hand, the books I read kept m..."

Thanks, Ann. You're signed up. And I'm sure the next two books will be just as good!

message 44: by Drew (new)

Drew Boudreaux | 8 comments Looks like I found this thread right in time. I’d like to sign up as an author/reviewer. My title is “Supraphysica” and the kindle ebook will be available free Sept 3-7!

message 45: by Lauren (new)

Drew wrote: "Looks like I found this thread right in time. I’d like to sign up as an author/reviewer. My title is “Supraphysica” and the kindle ebook will be available free Sept 3-7!"

Looks like you did. ;) You've been added.

message 46: by J.M. (new)

J.M. Hackman (jm_hackman) | 13 comments If you need another author reviewer, I'd like to sign up. My book is Spark. (Also, I reviewed Jesus Boy by Sean Elliott Russell during the last round.) If full, I can wait for the next time around. Thanks!

message 47: by Lauren (new)

J.M. wrote: "If you need another author reviewer, I'd like to sign up. My book is Spark. (Also, I reviewed Jesus Boy by Sean Elliott Russell during the last round.) If full, I can wait for the next time around...."

You got the last author reviewer spot.

message 48: by Lauren (new)

That's it, folks. The author spots are all taken. We're just waiting on three reviewers and we're ready to go.

message 49: by Susie (new)

Susie (goodreadscomart2song) | 9 comments I'm interested in being a reviewer. Just know that I have only read 2 books on my kindle in the 5 years I have owned it! I much prefer paper books. Doesn't mean I CAN'T read an ebook, but on a very subliminal level, I dont enjoy the experience as much. Let me know if and when you move forward with this round.

message 50: by Lauren (new)

Susie wrote: "I'm interested in being a reviewer. Just know that I have only read 2 books on my kindle in the 5 years I have owned it! I much prefer paper books. Doesn't mean I CAN'T read an ebook, but on a very..."

Will do, Susie. Thanks for signing up.

« previous 1 3 4