YA Buddy Readers' Corner ♥ discussion

The Immortalists
This topic is about The Immortalists
BUDDY READ: Adult Fiction > The Immortalists by Chloe Benjamin - Starting 23rd August 2018

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

✨Skye✨ | 3163 comments If you knew the date of your death, how would you live your life?

It's 1969 in New York City's Lower East Side, and word has spread of the arrival of a mystical woman, a traveling psychic who claims to be able to tell anyone the day they will die. The Gold children—four adolescents on the cusp of self-awareness—sneak out to hear their fortunes.

The prophecies inform their next five decades. Golden-boy Simon escapes to the West Coast, searching for love in '80s San Francisco; dreamy Klara becomes a Las Vegas magician, obsessed with blurring reality and fantasy; eldest son Daniel seeks security as an army doctor post-9/11; and bookish Varya throws herself into longevity research, where she tests the boundary between science and immortality.

A sweeping novel of remarkable ambition and depth, The Immortalists probes the line between destiny and choice, reality and illusion, this world and the next. It is a deeply moving testament to the power of story, the nature of belief, and the unrelenting pull of familial bonds.

Maddie (maddisonbruce) | 48916 comments Mod
Thanks, can't wait for it! Been seeing it around everywhere!

✨Skye✨ | 3163 comments Prologue (view spoiler)

Alright XD I'll listen to it after my next one. Should start it Sunday :)

✨Skye✨ wrote: "Prologue [spoilers removed]"

Wondering if (view spoiler)

Right Part One's from 1972-1978. Interesting. I feel like this is a book that's going to confuse me no end.

7% (view spoiler)

9% Woooow this language (view spoiler) Wow this is graphic

I'm pleased I don't have to read this, the Indian names are tricky.

This is not a child's book, that's for sure.

22% (view spoiler)

25% (view spoiler)

Don't know if I like this book. It's really weird and strange.

29% (view spoiler)

message 15: by Maddie (last edited Aug 26, 2018 05:32PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

30% (view spoiler)

I'm not reading this one anymore. I'm DNFing it. It's boring to me and I don't care about where the story's going. Sorry!

✨Skye✨ | 3163 comments Still going with this one-sorry you didn't like it Maddison :(

Part 1-Simon (view spoiler)

That's okay, not every book's for me XD I just really liked the cover, pleased I didn't buy it though.

✨Skye✨ | 3163 comments Part 2-Klara (view spoiler)

✨Skye✨ | 3163 comments Maddison wrote: "That's okay, not every book's for me XD I just really liked the cover, pleased I didn't buy it though."

It is a pretty cover xD

✨Skye✨ | 3163 comments Part 3-Daniel (view spoiler)

✨Skye✨ | 3163 comments Part 4-Varya (view spoiler)