You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Group Themed Reads: Preparation > September 2018 - Book Nominations

Comments Showing 1-50 of 65 (65 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Sarah (last edited Aug 19, 2018 12:44AM) (new)

Sarah | 18231 comments The winner in the poll was 'Digits in the title'.

It's time to nominate books. Please go ahead and nominate a book that fits the theme.

If you don't want to nominate your own book, you can second someone else's nomination instead, and that will count as your own nomination, and that book will be entered an extra time in random.org - giving the book an additional chance to make the cut.

Nominations can be seconded multiple times by different people . If you second a nomination, please make clear that is what you are doing. E.g. If I nominate "Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone", you need to state "I second Harry Potter and the Philosopher's stone".

A couple of points to consider when nominating:

- To allow enough time for as many people as possible to read, try and limit the page count to approximately 400 pages maximum.

- To ensure the book is available for as many readers as possible, please consider whether your nomination is 1) still in print AND 2) available as an e-book AND 3) published no less than 3 months ago AND 4) reasonably priced (under $12).

- Please check the YLTO Group Book Shelf to ensure we haven't already read the book in the last 2 years before nominating it.

- In case of series, only the first book in a series is allowed, even if later books could be considered as stand-alones.

- One nomination/seconding per person.

Only 5 books will be selected to be in the poll when it comes to voting.

Each of the chosen group read books will have a discussion leader assigned to help facilitate the discussion. The discussion leader will be the person who originally nominated the book, or someone who seconded their nomination if they do not wish to do it.

Nominations close 18th August

22 Britannia Road (Peggy) seconded
13 Minutes (Margo) seconded
The 7th Canon (Kristie)
44 Scotland Street (Janice)
1984 (Heather)
The Secret of Platform 13 (Lanelle)
600 Hours of Edward (Cherie)
20th Century Ghosts (Sarah)
4:50 from Paddington (Renee)

message 2: by Margo (last edited Aug 14, 2018 02:35AM) (new)

Margo | 10290 comments I nominate Six of Crows. No i don't - too many pages!

message 3: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 18231 comments Margo wrote: "I nominate Six of Crows. No i don't - too many pages!"

It's also not a digit!

message 4: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 18231 comments For clarification, a digit is any of the numerals from 0 to 9 or any combination of those. No numbers in word format allowed. Good examples are Fahrenheit 451, 11/22/63, and Catch-22.

message 5: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15595 comments I nominate 22 Britannia Road

message 6: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 18231 comments This is a tricky one. All the books I can find I've either read, not interested in, or are too long. I have loads with numbers as words in the title though!

message 7: by Lisa (last edited Aug 14, 2018 05:32AM) (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments Sarah wrote: "This is a tricky one. All the books I can find I've either read, not interested in, or are too long. I have loads with numbers as words in the title though!"

I'm finding it tricky too. I thought I had lots of books with digits in the title on my TBR but I actually have none! Lol! I do have a few on my wishlist but I'm not particularly interested in them at the moment. Like you, I have plenty with numbers as words in the title. I guess that will teach me to check properly before nominating or seconding a nomination in future.

message 9: by Colleen (new)

message 10: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 18231 comments Colleen wrote: "13 rue Thérèse by Elena Mauli Shapiro"

Whilst it's available as a kindle book, it appears that print copies are not available. At least here in the UK anyway. Would you like to nominate something else?

message 11: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 18231 comments Lilisa wrote: "I nominate 32 Yolks: From My Mother's Table to Working the Line."

This one is not available as an ebook and the paperback is expensive here in the UK. Would you like to nominate something else?

message 12: by Colleen (new)

Colleen | 54 comments Ok I’ll withdraw it but I had checked Book Depositary and it said it was available in paperback

message 13: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 18231 comments I use Amazon for checking purposes as it's the most comprehensive and generally if a book is in circulation, it has it. If we have to search elsewhere it's not exactly readily available. I looked on book depository and of the 3 that came up, only one was available which has a long wait for delivery and is above the price limit we set for the group reads.

message 14: by Colleen (new)

Colleen | 54 comments It’s fine . I’ve been wanting to read this for awhile so I suggested it . When I looked it up on BD it said 10.47 . I forgot to check how long it would take .

message 15: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 15249 comments I have a couple that I own on Audible already. I’m just trying to decide which to nominate. They are all different genres. I have a mystery/thriller, a mystery/horror/fantasy, and a humorous fiction. I also have a historical fiction/thriller, but it’s too long to nominate.

My husband has read all three of the ones I’m considering nominating and he says they’re all good, it just depends what I’m in the mood for, so that wasn’t very helpful. Lol

message 16: by Margo (new)

Margo | 10290 comments Sarah wrote: "Margo wrote: "I nominate Six of Crows. No i don't - too many pages!"

It's also not a digit!"

LOL Out on all counts - sorry, i thought it number. Clue is in the word "digits"!

How about 13 Minutes? I have it on my kindle and it seems to fit all criteria ;-)

message 17: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 18231 comments Jenn, it's fine that you don't want to lead a discussion. You can still nominate a book and if someone seconds it, they can lead if they want to. Otherwise, someone who votes on the book in the poll can. If all else fails, one of us mods will. It's best if you nominate one rather than listing a load for others to nominate as that could start to clog up the thread if lots of people did it. As for the price cutoff, it's listed in the first post.

message 18: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 15249 comments Ok, so I'm going to nominate The 7th Canon by Robert Dugoni. I think I'm in the mood for a good mystery / thriller.

message 19: by Silver (new)

Silver | 495 comments I nominate 47 by Walter Mosley

message 20: by Lilisa (new)

Lilisa | 2546 comments Sarah wrote: "Lilisa wrote: "I nominate 32 Yolks: From My Mother's Table to Working the Line."

This one is not available as an ebook and the paperback is expensive here in the UK. Would you like..."

No worries - there's quite a few nominated here already.

message 21: by Jenn (new)

Jenn | 2498 comments Sarah wrote: "Jenn, it's fine that you don't want to lead a discussion. You can still nominate a book and if someone seconds it, they can lead if they want to. Otherwise, someone who votes on the book in the pol..."

Sorry, I have removed the post. And, I have no idea how I missed the price cap in the original post. Again, sorry :(

message 22: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 18231 comments No need to apologise. Feel free to nominate one of the books you listed Jenn and we can work out a discussion leader in the event of it winning.

message 23: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 18231 comments Silver wrote: "I nominate 47 by Walter Mosley"

This appears to be the same as Coleen's nomination - kindle book but not available as a print book (only hardback which is expensive). Would you like to nominate something else?

message 24: by Margo (new)

Margo | 10290 comments Jenn wrote: "Sarah wrote: "Jenn, it's fine that you don't want to lead a discussion. You can still nominate a book and if someone seconds it, they can lead if they want to. Otherwise, someone who votes on the b..."

I added the King and the Dick Jenn. I hadn't come accross From a Buick 8 and I am curious as to how it compares to Christine.

message 25: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments I just remembered I have this on my wishlist so I will nominate it:

14 14 by Peter Clines by Peter Clines

message 26: by Lisa (last edited Aug 15, 2018 04:06AM) (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments Hmm, just noticed 14 costs between £13-15 for the paperback here in the UK and is close to $13 in the US. Is that too expensive? If so, I will withdraw the nomination.

message 27: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 18231 comments It's above the limit UK prices Lisa. Can't believe it's that expensive, it's been out ages. Best go for something else. I had contemplated nominating this one too.

message 28: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 18231 comments @Margo - I'm curious too about how the book differs to Christine (not that i've read it) as it has a similar premise.

Saar The Book owl | 1926 comments I second '13 minutes'.

message 30: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 15249 comments That was one of the books I own and was considering nominating, Lisa. I had no idea it was that expensive!

message 31: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments No worries. Just thought I would check. I'm surprised it's so expensive too. As you say, it's been out for ages so you would think it would be cheaper!

I won't nominate anything else right now as I can't think of any other books that would fit that I'm interested in.

message 32: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 18231 comments It's definitly a tricky theme.

message 33: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments Sarah wrote: "It's definitly a tricky theme."

Surprisingly tricky. Oh well, it's always nice to have a challenge 🙂

message 34: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 51936 comments I will nominate 44 Scotland Street. I checked Amazon.ca & Amazon.uk and is available in several formats.

If it's available at my library, (it is), then it's bound to be carried at others. My library never seems to carry the books I want to read.

message 35: by Casceil (new)

message 36: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 15249 comments That’s the third one I considered nominating, Janice!

message 37: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 51936 comments Kristie wrote: "That’s the third one I considered nominating, Janice!"

I don't have any books on my owned shelves that have digits in them, so I had to go to my wishlist. There were three on it. This one appealed to me the most and it was available at my library.

message 38: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments Janice wrote: "I will nominate 44 Scotland Street. I checked Amazon.ca & Amazon.uk and is available in several formats.

If it's available at my library, (it is), then it's bound to be carried at ot..."

I read that a couple of years ago. It's quite a fun story.

message 39: by Silver (new)

Silver | 495 comments Sarah wrote: "Silver wrote: "I nominate 47 by Walter Mosley"

This appears to be the same as Coleen's nomination - kindle book but not available as a print book (only hardback which i..."

Oops ok I can choose something else. I will go back over my list.

message 40: by Lanelle (last edited Aug 15, 2018 10:02AM) (new)

Lanelle | 3396 comments I'm in the mood for a children's book. I nominate The Secret of Platform 13.
The Secret of Platform 13 was published 3 years before Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone. I think it would be interesting to see how similar the two books are.

message 41: by Heather (new)

Heather What about 1984 by George Orwell ?

message 42: by Silver (new)

Silver | 495 comments Hopefully this will work. From what I could tell it seemed pretty readily available

The 47 Ronin Story by John Allyn

message 43: by Jenn (new)

Jenn | 2498 comments Margo..."
As am I. Stephen King isn't usually my style, but I may just read it for the theme regardless. But, I'll wait for the final selections to decide - so many books, so little time lol

message 44: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 18231 comments Silver wrote: "Hopefully this will work. From what I could tell it seemed pretty readily available

The 47 Ronin Story by John Allyn"

It's over the price limit for UK paperbacks. I enjoyed the film adaptation of this.

message 45: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 18231 comments Casceil wrote: "I nominate 84, Charing Cross Road."

Unfortunately that's not available as an ebook here in the UK. Would you like to nominate something else?

message 46: by Silver (new)

Silver | 495 comments Sarah wrote: "Silver wrote: "Hopefully this will work. From what I could tell it seemed pretty readily available

The 47 Ronin Story by John Allyn"

It's over the price limit for UK ..."

I don’t think I have anything else that might work so I will have to sit out this nomination period and see what others come up with.

message 47: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 20699 comments Lisa wrote: " 44 Scotland Street. "Lisa wrote: I read that a couple of years ago. It's quit a fun story..."

I agree. I read it too and then bought the next 5 books and still have them sitting on my book shelf. I even looked up the location up on Google Earth to see if it was a real address. The street is. :o)

message 48: by TrudyA (new)

TrudyA (trudyan) | 1676 comments I’ll second 22 Britannia Road as I have a copy on my shelf.

message 49: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 20699 comments How about 600 Hours of Edward?

I know that Peggy and Silver have read it, but Margo and three others have it on their want-to-read list.

I found one other on my list, but I liked this one the best for a group read.

message 50: by Jenn (new)

Jenn | 2498 comments I think I would like to second 44 Scotland Street, and my library has it in paper and ebook :)

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.