Pop Sugar's Annual Ultimate Reading Challenge discussion

A book you saw a stranger reading

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sam (new)

Sam | 69 comments Is anyone else having trouble with this one?
I could have finished the challenge weeks ago if it wasn't for this one.
I've moved to a rural area, and no longer catch public transport. I don't see many people reading in public to start with. 98% or those I do aren't strangers (small-town area). Oh and when I finally saw someone I didn't know reading in public - I'd already read the book (not this year) and don't fancy a re-read of it.
Any ideas/suggestions on how t tackle this problem?

message 2: by Meg (new)

Meg (meginfrance) | 24 comments Have you tried going to a local library....a Starbucks or a bookstore (or even better its cafe)?

message 3: by Meg (new)

Meg (meginfrance) | 24 comments ....also, what about looking for a stranger reading a book in the media....or a movie? A magazine, an article, tv show....I admit, it is stretching it, but part of the fun is finding a book that fits the challenge.

message 4: by Emily (new)

Emily Bourque (emilyardoin) You could even use the Rory Gilmore Reading challenge in a pinch. It’s a list of all of the books she was seen reading or mentioned during the series.

message 5: by Sam (new)

Sam | 69 comments Hi Meg and Emily
Thanks for the suggestions. The library is part of the problem. I work in the local one, so pretty much everyone I see reading in public now, are know to me *sigh
We're a small community and people often can't afford to go to a cafe to read on their own; it's more of a social outing thing here. Especially with the drought cutting into everyone's disposable income. I'll keep at it; there's a while left for this challenge. But yes if I do get desperate I'll go with the stretch of someone I see reading on the screen.

message 6: by Anna (new)

Anna Karen | 3 comments I saw a young man reading "Blade runner" on the bus last year. I meant to read it then but never got around to it. It was really hard to see someone reading something in public, I only saw this guy and then an old man who was reading a weathered paperback I couldn't see the name of (I'm shy and he had started glaring at me). There's an icelandic 2019 reading challenge with this entry that I'm going to use Blade runner for. Some of these are just more difficult than others.

message 7: by Christine (new)

Christine Curtis | 1 comments I only ever read on my Kindle and no-one EVER asks what you're reading so I will be no help.

message 8: by Fiona (new)

Fiona Baldwin | 8 comments I might have to be a sticky beak and just come right out and ask someone, I don't use public transport 😬

message 9: by Sam (new)

Sam | 69 comments Fiona wrote: "I might have to be a sticky beak and just come right out and ask someone, I don't use public transport 😬"
This was for the 2018 challenge, so no need to worry this year.

message 10: by Fiona (new)

Fiona Baldwin | 8 comments 😂 that's good.