Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Around the World Team Challenge > Team Text Travelers

Comments Showing 1-50 of 322 (322 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7

message 1: by NBRC Travel Agent (last edited Aug 14, 2018 02:55PM) (new)

NBRC Travel Agent | 368 comments Team Members

Samantha

Ashleigh

Ashley

Tina

Julie

Vicki

Diane

Slytherpuff

message 2: by NBRC Travel Agent (last edited Aug 13, 2018 05:36PM) (new)

NBRC Travel Agent | 368 comments Your itinerary is here

When you have a team name, just let me know and I'll update this thread name :)

First stop - Honolulu, USA

NBRC Travel Agent | 368 comments So just to get you started...

Your first stop is Honolulu, USA

You can choose as a team to:
TASK
- Read books set in United States, or by American authors or
- Do a spell-it-out of Honolulu or United States of America

OR
You can elect to do the detour, which for this stop, means that four of you need to "Read a book with a horse on the cover"

message 4: by NBRC Travel Agent (last edited Aug 13, 2018 09:31PM) (new)

NBRC Travel Agent | 368 comments Rules are here

Points copied below for easy reference. No more than 5 detours can be completed on your first itinerary

TASKS
◈ Completing a task will earn the team 10 points AND
◈ If at least 6 members of the team read a book that contributes to the tasks, that is an additional 15 points AND
◈ If ALL team members read a book for the time you are at the stop, that is an additional 10 points

DETOURS
◈ Completing a detour earns the team 25 points AND
◈ If at least 7 members of the team read a book for the detour, that is an additional 15 points AND
◈ If ALL team members read a book for the time you are at the stop, that is an additional 10 points

message 6: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 476 comments I'm in for this team! :)

message 7: by Ashleigh (new)

Ashleigh (ashleighbailey) | 68 comments Yes, I would like to be in this team =D

message 8: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (itsmedaisy) | 279 comments I would love to be on this team, please!

message 9: by Tina ❣ (new)

Tina ❣ (nutrinut) | 1907 comments Hi All!

Does anyone have a preference of one option over another? Spell it out?

Ta || bookishbluehead (bookishbluehead) | 33 comments Count me in for this team :)

message 11: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 476 comments Do we just need to each read a book set in the US or with an American author for the first option?

I don't have a preference but the first one seems pretty doable.

message 12: by Tina ❣ (new)

Tina ❣ (nutrinut) | 1907 comments I think so Samantha.

I'm happy with the first option. It sounds pretty easy.

Not sure if we're reading one book each for the first option

NBRC Travel Agent | 368 comments The points info may help with your decision, but you're right that having a US location the Task is a relatively easy option ;)
You can also only do 5 detours over the course of your itinerary

TASKS
◈ Completing a task will earn the team 10 points AND
◈ If at least 6 members of the team read a book that contributes to the tasks, that is an additional 15 points AND

DETOURS
◈ Completing a detour earns the team 25 points AND
◈ If at least 7 members of the team read a book for the detour, that is an additional 15 points AND

message 14: by Vicki (new)

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 1701 comments If there is room on this team I’m interested.

message 15: by Ta || bookishbluehead (last edited Aug 13, 2018 11:43PM) (new)

Ta || bookishbluehead (bookishbluehead) | 33 comments Samantha wrote: "Do we just need to each read a book set in the US or with an American author for the first option?

I don't have a preference but the first one seems pretty doable."

I don't have a preference either but I think USA is a nice and easy start. There are a lot of books that are set there and a lot of authors from there, too. At least I have a lot on my TBR :D But if you want to do a spell-it-out it's cool for me, too. :)

message 16: by Tina ❣ (new)

Tina ❣ (nutrinut) | 1907 comments Okay. Let's do the first option!

But first... team name?

message 17: by Tina ❣ (new)

Tina ❣ (nutrinut) | 1907 comments All I can think of is the Roaring Readers. Will think some more

message 18: by Vicki (new)

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 1701 comments I see my name on the team now so I’ll give my input. I agree that the United States would be a good and easy start. And I like Roaring Readers a lot.

I’m leaving in four hours for Hawaii for a week so if I’m not on every day that’ll be why.

message 19: by Ashleigh (last edited Aug 14, 2018 04:24AM) (new)

Ashleigh (ashleighbailey) | 68 comments I think the 1st option is probably best too.

My suggestion for a team is name The Loosely Bound =P

message 20: by Ashleigh (new)

Ashleigh (ashleighbailey) | 68 comments Vicki wrote: "I see my name on the team now so I’ll give my input. I agree that the United States would be a good and easy start. And I like Roaring Readers a lot.

I’m leaving in four hours for Hawaii for a we..."

Have a safe trip Vicki, enjoy!

message 21: by Diane (new)

Diane Shea (diane_shea) | 1 comments I'm in please!!!! I'm cool with the first option for USA. However, do we get to choose at each stop?

It looks like the list of names so far is:
Roaring Readers
The Loosely Bound

I had Roaming Readers and Text Travelers.

message 22: by Slytherpuff (new)

Slytherpuff I’m in. Let’s read a book set in the US

message 23: by Diane (new)

Diane Shea (diane_shea) | 1 comments Slytherpuff wrote: "I’m in. Let’s read a book set in the US"

Glad you made it!!!!

message 24: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (itsmedaisy) | 279 comments I'm good with a book set in the US too! I'm good with spelling it out when we get a harder one also. Whatever everyone wants to do!

I like all the name suggestions so far!

message 25: by Diane (new)

Diane Shea (diane_shea) | 1 comments I'm with you Ashley, looking at our itinerary we may want to spell out Estonia, just saying.

message 26: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (itsmedaisy) | 279 comments Diane wrote: "I'm with you Ashley, looking at our itinerary we may want to spell out Estonia, just saying."

Definitely! I read mostly fantasy so my books will probably be authors from places rather than set in places, but places like that would be super hard either way

message 27: by Ashleigh (new)

Ashleigh (ashleighbailey) | 68 comments Slytherpuff wrote: "I’m in. Let’s read a book set in the US"

Woohoo, glad you are in the team! =D

message 28: by Ashleigh (new)

Ashleigh (ashleighbailey) | 68 comments I have 3 books already on my radar with US authors, so I'm good to go.

NBRC Travel Agent | 368 comments Team complete:

Team Members

Samantha

Ashleigh

Ashley

Tina

Julie

Vicki

Diane

Slytherpuff

message 30: by Diane (new)

Diane Shea (diane_shea) | 1 comments I can begin when everyone is ready as well. I'm not really a fan of this detour, personally. I don't normally read books with horses mentioned.

message 31: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (itsmedaisy) | 279 comments I'm ready too when everyone else is!

message 32: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 476 comments Ready as well!

message 33: by Tina ❣ (new)

Tina ❣ (nutrinut) | 1907 comments Yay team!!

Have you participated in this before Diane?

Why don't we start this Sunday? It should give us time to select a name, start a planning/completion spreadsheet, select books and put them into the spreadsheet, and learn the rules!

Also, It would be easier for me to remember to check in and read a book before the work week starts.

I won't be able to finish the first book until the end of next week due to real life

Ta || bookishbluehead (bookishbluehead) | 33 comments I‘m on a work thing till tomorrow, but after that I‘m good to go. :)

message 35: by Diane (new)

Diane Shea (diane_shea) | 1 comments I have not played this before, but I'm really excited. I think Sunday would be fantastic. If you want, I will work on the spreadsheet (probably just add to the one we already have with our itinerary) so we can get going!

I also reread the rules (on the spreadsheet too!) and we can decide what option to read for each stop on our itinerary. So we will be able to decide as we go. I'm not really in the mood to try to whirlwind through the stops, but I think that we should all be able to agree to 1 book for the USA (author or setting) within 2 weeks, right? I think if we set expectations, its just a little better. If that is too big a stretch for anyone, we can adjust.

message 36: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 476 comments Does that mean we can't start the book until Sunday?

message 37: by Diane (new)

Diane Shea (diane_shea) | 1 comments I would think, like for most challenges, you just can't finish before Sunday. If we are just reading for option A, it doesn't much matter in this case when we start, because we aren't trying to spell anything out. What does everyone else think?

I put a tab per country on the spreadsheet and added each detour to match their country. I will point out that I made a mistake earlier because we are not going to Estonia, but Espana or Spain. My bad. Everything else is written in English but that one. Not fair! Anyway, if there is some tweak people want to make to the spreadsheet, feel free. At least we have somewhere to put our information now!

message 38: by Samantha (last edited Aug 15, 2018 05:58AM) (new)

Samantha | 476 comments Diane wrote: "I would think, like for most challenges, you just can't finish before Sunday. If we are just reading for option A, it doesn't much matter in this case when we start, because we aren't trying to spe..."

Gotcha thanks! I picked my book for the US :)

message 39: by Slytherpuff (new)

Slytherpuff Thank you. I am doing an elimination game which starts on Monday.

message 40: by Diane (last edited Aug 17, 2018 07:50AM) (new)

Diane Shea (diane_shea) | 1 comments Okay team, we need to pick a name. Our options are:

Roaring Readers
The Loosely Bound -1
Roaming Readers
Text Travelers - 3

I personally prefer Text Travelers, but I'm open to any of these options. Everyone vote and we'll take the name with the highest votes? Seems fair.

message 41: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 476 comments 1 vote for The Loosely Bound!

message 42: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (itsmedaisy) | 279 comments I like them all, but I'll vote or Text Travelers!

Ta || bookishbluehead (bookishbluehead) | 33 comments I vote for Text Travelers as well, but I like all the names. :)

message 44: by Slytherpuff (new)

Slytherpuff I like Text Travelers too

message 45: by Ashleigh (new)

Ashleigh (ashleighbailey) | 68 comments Text Travelers =D

I have already started my book and will probably finish on the 19th (arrival date). Will that book still count? If not I'll read another.

message 46: by Slytherpuff (new)

Slytherpuff I have already finished mine

message 47: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 476 comments I should finish my book today. I'm having some trouble updating the spreadsheet though. If anyone doesn't mind just filling in start/end dates for me as 8/19/18 and 8/20/18

message 48: by Tina ❣ (new)

Tina ❣ (nutrinut) | 1907 comments Text Travelers it is!
Diane, the spreadheet looks great!

Just a heads up, I won't be available much until after this Thursday

Samantha - I added in the dates

I hope you all don't mind but seeing dates as mm/dd/yy confuses me as I'm Australian and we do dd/mm/yy. So, I have changed the columns of the dates to write the month out for clarity

Is everyone in US/UK here? Am I the only Australian?

message 49: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 476 comments Tina wrote: "Text Travelers it is!
Diane, the spreadheet looks great!

Just a heads up, I won't be available much until after this Thursday

Samantha - I added in the dates

I hope you all don't mind but seein..."

Thanks Tina! :) And it doesn't bother me :)

Ta || bookishbluehead (bookishbluehead) | 33 comments I think I'll finish my book later today or tomorrow. :) I'm from Germany btw, I think the only not native english speaker in our group?

I also added a points section to out spreadsheet yesterday where we can keep track of what we accomplished, I hope that was okay.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7