ACPL Online Book Club discussion

Mrs. Sherlock Holmes > What do you think of Ricca's writing style?

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mark (new)

Mark Ueber | 255 comments Mod
Talk about the writing style and language of the book. Was the language engaging, inflammatory, etc.? Did it draw you into the story or not? Was the language easily accessible? Were unfamiliar terms and concepts explained?
Question provided by William Jeanes Memorial Library: https://jeaneslibrary.org/wp-content/...

message 2: by Mark (last edited Aug 15, 2018 01:24PM) (new)

Mark Ueber | 255 comments Mod
I honestly don’t think the book is well written. The prose is not compelling or particularly descriptive. But I don’t expect nonfiction authors to write literature. It was only negative in that the author was more graphic, here and there, than I expected, especially when describing what Cocchi did to Ruth, and also when describing the interrogation of John Snowden. I don’t think it added much to the book, but better writing might have kept me more engaged. The characters make this book worth reading.

It took me bit to figure out that a “machine” is an automobile. It didn’t confuse me, but I thought there was too much use of 1910’s vocabulary, “the pug-faced head of the Fourth Branch gumshoes.” I had no trouble understanding legal and police jargon.