Books & Boba discussion

Crazy Rich Asians (Crazy Rich Asians, #1)
This topic is about Crazy Rich Asians
Monthly Pick > August 2018: Crazy Rich Asians

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Marvin, Bobamaster (new)

Marvin Yueh | 40 comments Mod
Hey all! For #AsianAugust we're reading Crazy Rich Asians by Kevin Kwan!

Personally, I've seen the film a few times but haven't read the book yet (long-time book club members will remember that I'm one of THOSE people =P), and I'm ready to see how the book differs from the film.

- Marvin

message 2: by Lauren (new)

Lauren | 111 comments Or rather, how the FILM differs from the BOOK. Chicken and egg, clearly defined.

Danielle T (daumari) | 14 comments I finished my reread of Crazy Rich Asians and China Rich Girlfriend, and trying to decide if I should rush through rereading Rich People Problems in the next day, or just take it at a leisurely pace.

On that note, someone on reddit pointed out that Shang Su Yi is simply listed as "Ah Ma" on IMDB (actually, a day or two ago it was "Old Woman") and I'm not sure whether to be insulted on Su Yi's behalf, or consider it obfuscation by the Shang/Young/T'sien clan on the interwebs..

message 4: by Jess (last edited Aug 14, 2018 10:56AM) (new) - added it

Jess (jbagsy) | 24 comments Danielle wrote: "On that note, someone on reddit pointed out that Shang Su Yi is simply listed as "Ah Ma" on IMDB (actually, a day or two ago it was "Old Woman") "

Srsly?? "Old Woman"? That's cold! I saw the movie last week and can confirm she's credited as "Ah Ma." Not "Old Woman" (thank god) or "Shang Su Yi."

While we're on the topic, is discussing the movie fair game on this thread, as long as we use the (view spoiler) function? Or would we want to start a separate thread for that?

message 5: by Reera, Bookmaster (new) - rated it 3 stars

Reera | 272 comments Mod
We already have a Crazy Rich Asians movie thread, but folks can still discuss the movie in this thread as long as they talk about the book as well. Please use the spoiler function at your discretion. Thank you!

David (daejin) | 15 comments Hooray! Just finished CRA and waiting for the movie - though for those of you that saw the movie - does it incorporate more than what's in the first book? Do I need to cram in China Rich Girlfriend before the movie?

message 7: by Reera, Bookmaster (new) - rated it 3 stars

Reera | 272 comments Mod
David wrote: "Hooray! Just finished CRA and waiting for the movie - though for those of you that saw the movie - does it incorporate more than what's in the first book? Do I need to cram in China Rich Girlfriend..."

I don't remember the movie including anything past the first book. Like all adaptations, the movie omitted and tweaked some of the characters and plot points. You're safe to go see the film without having China Rich Girlfriend spoiled.

message 8: by Edwin (new) - added it

Edwin Peng (edwinpeng88) | 2 comments congratulations!

To answer your question, no you don't have to cram China Rich Girlfriend.

message 9: by Wayne (new)

Wayne Ng (waynengwrites) | 2 comments While everybody seems to be swooning over this book and film, my enthusiasm is a bit more guarded. Yes it's great to see people who look like me on screen. But did it have to be a Cinderella story? Everybody else has an English accent from boarding school and belongs to the 1%. This isn't the reality of anybody I know, Asian or otherwise. In the end our Cinderella falls for the big money. Hardly an original.
For most of the history of cinema and TV, ppl of colour were on to fill stereotypes, provide villains, or comic relief. While CRA may be a step forward, until and unless true to most Asian lives and their stories are made in a dramatic vein, my celebrations will be muted. This is fluff by any colour. Sandra Oh in Killing Eve in a step forward. Her presence just is---no window dressing, no stereotype, she just carries on, the same way most of us lead our lives.

message 10: by Marvin, Bobamaster (new)

Marvin Yueh | 40 comments Mod
Wayne wrote: "While everybody seems to be swooning over this book and film, my enthusiasm is a bit more guarded. Yes it's great to see people who look like me on screen. But did it have to be a Cinderella story?..."

Curious about your thoughts about the film adaptation. What did you think about the changes made to the characterizations of Eleanor and Rachel's dynamic.

I felt that the film centers on Rachel's story more, giving her more agency and making for a much more interesting character than the book. Also making the story a much more "Asian-American" one.

I'm partway through the book, and I can see why fans of the book enjoy Astrid's story more than Rachael/Nick. I wonder if the author is just more familiar with writing characters like Astrid based on his experience with that world. Maybe I'm also spoiled by watching the movie first and wishing book Rachel was as strong as film Rachel.

David (daejin) | 15 comments TL;DR I loved Crazy Rich Asians and review it here: https://youtu.be/4JuXQUGiPYs
But if you don't want to watch - It's the perfect summer beach read - as damningly faint praise as that might sound. As readable as Harry Potter (and griping about the brand name dropping seems akin to bitching about using too many magical words in Potter.) What's really surprising is that it's a romance novel - duh, it got adapted to what marks the return of the rom-com - but still ROMANCE! Varied plot lines, mean girls aesthetic, a will-they-won't-they plot that snakes over 3 large books. So it's the best romance novel I've ever read or a pretty good piece of literary fiction. (You just don't label this Asian romance if you ever want to sell more than a handful of books)

While we celebrate how much great Asian fiction is out there - it's nice to see it push into the cinematic world with To All The Boys and Crazy Rich Asians. Here's the cinematic narrative plentitude!