What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Seventh Son (Tales of Alvin Maker, #1)
This topic is about Seventh Son
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. YA fantasy: Seventh son. [s]

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Denise (new)

Denise O'Grady | 7 comments I thought it was Susan Cooper's the dark is rising but it's not. A boy was born as a seventh son but his older brother died moments after his birth so his younger brother (a brat) kept claiming he was the seventh son. They both sang in a choir the older one was more talented until his voice changed, the same day his powers/magic started happening. There was something to do with time travels and very similar to dark is rising. I also dont think Orson Scott's 7th son is the one either. That's all I remember, hope someone can help!

message 2: by Andria (last edited Aug 13, 2018 02:42PM) (new)

message 3: by Denise (new)

Denise O'Grady | 7 comments That's looks interesting but I dont remember ghosts in the story. I read it probably early 90's. Father was also a seventh son. There was an older mysterious mentor that showed up to help the boy.

message 4: by Tris (new)

Tris Crescent | 87 comments Maybe The Last Apprentice novels by Joseph Delaney? Book 1 is “Revenge of the Witch” (US title)/ “The Spook’s Apprentice” from the Wardstone Chronicles (Great Britain title). I initially thought of the movie adaption, “Seventh Son,” which was released in 2014, then I remembered it was based on a YA book series. The first book was published in 2004 (Great Britain). I haven’t read these books, so I’m not sure if it’s a match.

message 5: by Juels (last edited Aug 14, 2018 09:41AM) (new)

Juels | 2568 comments Did you check the movie tie-in version of The Dark is Rising (The Seeker)? They changed the plot to fit the movie.

https://books.google.com/books?id=WGd...

message 6: by Gillian (new)

Gillian Wiseman (gillianwiseman) | 193 comments It isn't the Last Apprentice by Delaney - in that series, the boy is a seventh/seventh son, but there's no conflict with his sibs, no younger brother at all. Nor is it the Dark is Rising.

message 7: by Lou (new)

Lou Rocama | 437 comments I started a list for this sort of plot device.

Seventh Sons and Daughters

message 8: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (shawneesas) | 1 comments I don't think all the plot points match but it sounds almost like Septimus Heap

message 9: by El (new)

El | 502 comments Septimus Heap series for easy clicking (Stephanie's suggestion). First book in the series is Magyk.

message 10: by Amanda (last edited Aug 17, 2018 04:46AM) (new)

Amanda (misterfive) | 202 comments The singing scene sure sounds like the Dark is Rising to me. Merriman (the mentor) stops time while Will and his brother are singing a Christmas carol and then takes Will back in time. There is a discussion about the future of both their voices after their voices break.

Are you sure that particular detail isn't from The Dark is Rising (or its movie)? It seems awfully specific to be in two different but similarly themed books.

message 11: by Andy (new)

Andy Love | 2104 comments The bit about the younger brother who claims to be the real seventh son (because the eldest son died minutes after the first seventh son was born) is in the Alvin Maker series (Alvin's little brother Calvin feels that he's the real 7th son, since he has 6 living older brothers).

message 12: by SamSpayedPI (last edited Aug 17, 2018 05:45AM) (new)

SamSpayedPI | 2075 comments Seventh Son by Orson Scott Card for the link to the first of the Alvin Maker series. Why don't you think it's that one?

It's available on the Internet Archives for free, if you want to give it a quick glance. You need to be a memeber to "take out" books, but all you need is to give them an email address.

message 13: by Denise (new)

Denise O'Grady | 7 comments Honestly I'm starting to wonder if I read the dark is rising and Alvin maker around the same time and merged them in my mind.

message 14: by Andy (new)

Andy Love | 2104 comments Denise wrote: "Honestly I'm starting to wonder if I read the dark is rising and Alvin maker around the same time and merged them in my mind."

That kind of thing has happened to me. I read "Step to the Stars" Step to the Starsand "Islands in the Sky" Islands in the Sky and mixed up the two.

message 15: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 21140 comments Still looking, Denise?

message 16: by Denise (new)

Denise O'Grady | 7 comments I think I combined Alvin maker and the dark is rising. I probably read them around the same time lol

message 17: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 40687 comments Mod
So should we call this solved, or do you want to leave in in Unsolved?

message 18: by Denise (new)

Denise O'Grady | 7 comments I think solved, I dont know how to move it though...

message 19: by Kris (new)

Kris | 36623 comments Mod
Glad you found your books, Denise. I marked your request as Solved by clicking the small "edit" link after the topic header/title. This only works on the full Desktop website - not the Mobile website or app. I saved the first book you mentioned in the group's bookshelf. We can save one title per request.