Book Cougars discussion

Readalongs > Meg, Jo, Beth, Amy: The Story of Little Women – Anne Boyd Rioux (release date August 21st)

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Emily (last edited Aug 13, 2018 07:21PM) (new)

Emily | 284 comments Mod
We will be discussing this book on Episode 58 which will be recorded on August 31 and ready for earbuds on September 4, 2018.

message 2: by Linda (new)

Linda | 52 comments Mod
I hate to be picky...but...

July 31??

message 3: by Emily (new)

Emily | 284 comments Mod
Linda wrote: "I hate to be picky...but...

July 31??"

Thank you!

message 4: by Deb (new)

Deb | 49 comments Just ordered my copy!

message 5: by Robin (new)

Robin | 47 comments I am absolutely loving this book! It’s fun, engaging, and fascinating. I keep jotting down notes, quotes, and things I want to go back to. I haven’t re-read Little Women since I was a young girl, and am curious how it will feel to read it as an adult, especially after reading Rioux’s wonderful book. I’m about half way through it and savoring its richness.

message 6: by Emily (new)

Emily | 284 comments Mod
Robin wrote: "I am absolutely loving this book! It’s fun, engaging, and fascinating. I keep jotting down notes, quotes, and things I want to go back to. I haven’t re-read Little Women since I was a young girl, a..."

I finished it this weekend. I am so surprised at how much I enjoyed this book! I can't wait to discuss with Chris on Friday. I think Anne did such a great job of stating the case for the importance of the book, the meaning it has had to so many and why it is still valued today. (Or perhaps, not held in high enough regard?!)

message 7: by Chris (new)

Chris Wolak (chriswolak) | 332 comments Mod
On the issue of Little Women not being held in high enough regard, I think about my own history with the novel. I felt like I didn't really "need" to read it because I'd heard/read so much about it and saw a movie adaptation. (I admit this even though one of my areas of focus in grad school was pre-20th-century American women writers. Doh!). However, when I finally did read it, I thought it was amazing. I regretted waiting so long to read it. And Anne's book made me wish I had grown up reading and re-reading Little Women. So, my point is that I think many people think they know what a classic is all about and that they don't need to read it. Such a mistake! Some books of similar stature such as Uncle Tom's Cabin or Gone with the Wind, both of which I think Anne mentions in her book, were similar experiences for me. Thought I could take or leave them until I took the time to read them and they were also amazing reading experiences.

message 8: by Gail (new)

Gail | 19 comments I see that Emma Watson has replaced Emma Stone in the role of Jo in next year's movie.

message 9: by Chris (new)

Chris Wolak (chriswolak) | 332 comments Mod
Gail wrote: "I see that Emma Watson has replaced Emma Stone in the role of Jo in next year's movie."

I'm surprisingly bummed by this news. I do like Emma Watson, but Emma Stone seems to have more of an edge and I can more easily picture her as a gangly tomboy.

message 10: by Robin (new)

Robin | 47 comments Just finished reading Rioux's book this morning! This is definitely a favorite of 2018. Thank you for selecting it as a readalong for your summer of Little Women! I checked the book out from the library, but am definitely going to buy a copy for my collection of "books about books". Even if you've never read Little Women this is a fascinating cultural history of its influence over time. I loved Rioux's writing style and am interested in reading her other books!!

message 11: by Emily (new)

Emily | 284 comments Mod
Robin wrote: "Just finished reading Rioux's book this morning! This is definitely a favorite of 2018. Thank you for selecting it as a readalong for your summer of Little Women! I checked the book out from the li..."

Thanks so much for joining us over the summer. It's been a lot of fun. Anne's book really surprised me - in the best of ways. So glad to have read it as well.