Play Book Tag discussion

Next Year in Havana
This topic is about Next Year in Havana
Archive: Other Books > Next Year in Havana - Chanel Cleeton - 4 tars

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Kelly | 848 comments In this historical fiction novel the author tells about Cuba from the views of two women born in different eras. Elisa Perez's story starts at the time of the Cuba revolution. She is a nineteen year old daughter in a privileged family. Elisa is hiding that she is in love for the first time and is also trying to be loyal to her family during the country's uneasy times. Marisol Ferrera is Elisa's granddaughter. She is an American citizen and visits Cuba for the first time to write an article for work and to learn of her grandmother's past world. There are some parallels between the two women in their actions and their personalties. Family is very important to both of them and Marisol is surprised by some of the things she finds out on the trip when she meets people Elisa knew when she was younger.

The author uses vivid descriptions to tell of the homes, sea and scenery of Cuba. Cleeton also addresses history and Marisol learns much more about the culture, atmosphere and views of people while she is there.

message 2: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy | 9334 comments I adored this one!

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Love your review I've got this on my list to read. With the negativity that has always been displayed about Cuba I've talked to so many who say how beautiful it is. The culture, the history, and the way time has stood still over there.